The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recommendations for Bike Covers

+4
Paramedic
Gromit
RogerThat
AndyLouch
8 posters

Go down

Recommendations for Bike Covers Empty Recommendations for Bike Covers

Post by AndyLouch Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:34 pm

Hello all, SWMBO has just added an Ebike to her touring trouseau! We previously had 2 'ordinary' bikes which, due to their age/condition weren't really worth covering. However, with a new and shiny machine we want to try to reduce the amount of crud picked up when on the move!
We have a Fiamma bike carrier and any thoughts on a reasonable quality cover would be appreciated.
Cheers, Andy
AndyLouch
AndyLouch
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Recommendations for Bike Covers Empty Re: Recommendations for Bike Covers

Post by RogerThat Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:06 pm

I use a mobility scooter cover (from Amazon), it's a bit big, but a coupe of bungee straps wrapped  over it all  keep everything clean and dry up!
RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Stanway
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:29 pm

Taylor Made.

We had a Fiamma one that lasted two trips before shredding itself. Flimsy rubbish I'm afraid.

The Taylor Made one is very heavy material and in a totally different bracket as far as quality.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:39 pm

We have the Fiamma cover which has served us well for six years initially for two standard cycles and currently for our two compact electric bikes. Bungee straps remain taunt with no holes in the material despite brake levers and peddles from the earlier bikes wanting to poke through.

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB

Back to top Go down

Post by matts vw Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:58 pm

My fiamma one lasted two years before destroying itself, but my brother had the cheaper version ( open on the inside) and he still uses it, mine was the fully enclosed version which kept the bikes very clean during some terrible weather but didn't last as long

Matt
matts vw
matts vw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 50
Auto-Sleeper : sandhurst
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyLouch Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:43 am

Hello all, very many thanks for your guidance and recommendations. Hadn't though about a scooter cover - will have a look at these.
If we go for a 'bespoke' cover seems to be a choice between a Fiamma or a Taylor Made job. The latter seems to be very well made although a bit pricey. However, having just bought an ebike seems a bit of a false economy to try to save a few quid on something which will protect it and keep it clean when on the move!
I'm still using my 35 year old mountain bike and think I might upgrade to a newer version as the ebikes I fancy are silly money!!
Thanks again, Andy
AndyLouch
AndyLouch
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Maasai Warrior Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:10 am

We bought the Taylor made version three years ago at the Peterborough Show. It is heavier and well made with a side slit and tie. We have used it a couple of times but it is a bit more of a challenge to cover our two bikes on the higher level Fiamma cycle rack on the back of the Broadway. Consequently I have reluctantly returned to our old lighter Fiamma cover which is much easier for us. We have had it since 2007 and it is a bit grubby now as we have used it regularly,  but so far there are no holes. I find if I stretch it gently over the two bikes, placing pieces of pipe insulation over the sharper bike bits, hand brakes etc, and tie it down carefully so it is not flapping, it seems to have lasted for us. Maybe the newer Fiamma covers are made of more flimsy material. 

We too have just recently splashed out on an E-Bike for my wife and a lighter hybrid bike for me, hoping that this combination will work, weightwise, on the Fiamma rack. We have yet to try it, with both of us lifting the Ebike on first, followed by the lighter bike. With this combination we hope to use the larger more substantial Taylor made bike cover, using a step ladder! If the weight issue or covering process proves impossible, we will turn to a tow bar with our Westfalia rack. I feel this will be a much better solution for us oldies! The Taylor made cover will then come into its own and we will also use it to cover the bikes when they are locked to our rear steel bumper. The redundant, still useable, Fiamma cover will end up in the shed covering our very old Saracen mountain bikes. Can’t get rid of them, they are classics!

Sorry to ramble but I thought our experience with the two bike covers may be of help to others. 

Pete

NB. Just to say our Ebike is a little taller so we have yet to see if the Taylor made cover will fit properly! Will let you know.
Maasai Warrior
Maasai Warrior
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway EB owner
Vehicle Year : Mar 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyLouch Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:29 am

Hi Pete, many thanks for comments - we seem to have very similar tastes!! My old bike is a Saracen Tufftrax which is over 30 years old and still going strong! Just had the derailleur rebuilt whilst in France as it fell to bits whilst out on a ride. Looked on the net and any replacement would have had to come from the US and the postage/import duty would ave been more than the cost of the spares! The bike was defined as a 'classic' on Ebay!
The French shop had enough bits in their scrap box to get me going again - EUR10!!
I'm also looking for something a bit lighter and thinking about a hybrid rather than ebike since to get something  I fancy the look of would cost nearly £2000!
Will let you know how we get on!
Cheers, Andy
AndyLouch
AndyLouch
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Maasai Warrior Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:19 am

Interesting I have the Tufftrax and my wife has the Hardtrax!

The hybrid bike I have bought is the Boardman hybrid 8.9 from Halfords, frighting money but I understand good value at £1000 and you get a £75 off at Halfords for accessories bags etc. It is definately a good bike. Give you more info later if interested.

Pete
Maasai Warrior
Maasai Warrior
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway EB owner
Vehicle Year : Mar 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyLouch Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:52 pm

Hi Pete, sorry for slow response, had a busy day! Not sure how I ever found the time to go to work!! Yes, Boardman hybrids are something I've been interested in. Think I'll arrange a test ride before too much longer. We have a Cycle Republic nearby and, being part of Halfords group, stock Boardman.
Happy cycling!! Andy
AndyLouch
AndyLouch
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:42 am

Gromit wrote:Taylor Made.

The Taylor Made one is very heavy material and in a totally different bracket as far as quality.

Have you any figures for how heavy Dave ? 

For the past 2 years we’ve used a cheapy ( £8.99) very light, Aldi motorcycle cover. This has done the job well but a combination of sun and lots of use mean it has developed small slits on top and gaffer tape only sticks for short periods. 

Still keeps dust and road dirt off but we like to proect these electric bikes from heavy rain as well.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:24 am

AndyLouch wrote:Hello all, very many thanks for your guidance and recommendations. Hadn't though about a scooter cover - will have a look at these.
If we go for a 'bespoke' cover seems to be a choice between a Fiamma or a Taylor Made job. The latter seems to be very well made although a bit pricey. However, having just bought an ebike seems a bit of a false economy to try to save a few quid on something which will protect it and keep it clean when on the move!
I'm still using my 35 year old mountain bike and think I might upgrade to a newer version as the ebikes I fancy are silly money!!
Thanks again, Andy
Hi Andy,
Our Fiamma also fell apart after a couple of years and we have replaced it with a German made all enclosing bike cover we got from http://www.vancomfort.co.uk/products.html
The material is much stronger than the Fiamma and with substantial zips - so far its been very good and I seem to recall that it was not much more expensive than the Fiamma. It also has a built in pouch for the European rear warning sign.
It is light enough to fold up into a reasonable size for storing or putting out of the way when not required.

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
Liam
Liam
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyLouch Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:36 pm

Hello Liam, Many thanks for information. Will have a look at this one too!

Best wishes, Andy
AndyLouch
AndyLouch
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:44 pm

Quilter wrote:
Gromit wrote:Taylor Made.

Have you any figures for how heavy Dave ? 

For the past 2 years we’ve used a cheapy ( £8.99) very light, Aldi motorcycle cover. This has done the job well but a combination of sun and lots of use mean it has developed small slits on top and gaffer tape only sticks for short periods. 

Still keeps dust and road dirt off but we like to proect these electric bikes from heavy rain as well.
No, but it's not heavy enough to be a nuisance when you are handling it, and it folds up quite small into its own bag. Say about 2" thick by 18" square - give or take a bit.

The ladies who now run TaylorMade (Mr Taylor died a little while ago, one of them is his daughter) are very amenable, and I'm sure they would answer any questions.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:42 pm

Thank you Dave, good suggestion, we’ll get onto Taylormade pdq.

Thanks to the design of the Alko Velo cycle rack that we have we can’t use many of the standard bike covers. We used to use my late father-in- law’s mobility scooter cover when we had a Fiamma rack and that was excellent but no use now. Our cheapo Aldi one is getting a bit tired.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyLouch Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:51 pm

Hello all, OK, went for a Taylormade cover. Excellent heavy duty cover and easily covers ebike and my old Saracen. Guess it weighs about 1Kg and fits well over Fiamma carrier. One excellent point is that I can partially uncover and get my bike off leaving ebike on rack.
Not the cheapest, but money well spent I reckon.
Presently on site for Edinburgh Festival.
One other noteworthy point: warden at site has warned us that there has been a huge increase in bike thefts from the back of MHs and caravans in the area. Thieves thinking nothing of hacking through carriers to nick bikes with locks still attached! Police are struggling to keep up and basically just warning visitors to be extra vigilant. Site actually taking bikes and securing them in locked garage; 'out of sight, out of mind'?
AndyLouch
AndyLouch
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down