The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sat Nav test

+4
Gromit
Paulmold
Cymro
dbroada
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Sat Nav test - Page 2 Empty Re: Sat Nav test

Post by JandL Tue May 15, 2018 9:37 am

Call me old fashioned but still use a map and sense of direction. up!
JandL
JandL

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Tue May 15, 2018 9:51 am

OK - You're old fashioned!  lol4

But how do you read the map when you're driving, and relate it to the road signs which are notoriously unreliable, specially in France. A favourite trick is to sign quite clearly until you are about ten miles from where you want to go - then the signs suddenly vanish. Try finding a supermarket in a back street industrial estate!!

Apart from the fact that my sense of direction is practically non-existent, I couldn't possibly remember a (say) 200 mile route on foreign roads where the road numbers, if they are shown at all, are different on the map, the road atlas, the road signs etc.. No two seem to agree on what the number should be!!  scratch head
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Tue May 15, 2018 10:12 am

Quilter wrote:
dbroada wrote:
looks like POIs are they way forward.

Snag is that to find up to date datasets online is becoming increasingly difficult.  

I know many people rely on a mobile phone or tablet to navigate by but, given the stringent rules that apply to even touching a mobile phone while driving and the size of screen you are allowed  to use without it being deemed distracting, I wonder how legal either of these methods are ?  We’ve just bought a new car with a built in TomTom sat nav with huge screen and joystick control. There is no way I could drive and fiddle with the sat nav but it seems that is not seen as an issue.
Hi Dave and Quilter

POIs - yes Dave, but not necessarily all on the satnav. As Quilter said earlier, the very limited range of available icons makes it quite confusing.

Digressing for a moment. We use an old smart phone as a satnav, but I have removed every facility from it that I can, so it obviously is never used as a phone. It is in effect a dedicated satnav, and I'm moderately confident that Monsieur Le Flic would accept it once he had examined it, and been shown both of our phones which we use as phones.

Back to the POIs.

I don't want them on the satnav as I find them an irritating nuisance. I rarely want more than one category at a time, so Maps.Me on Sian's tablet is a very effective answer. We've got everything on there - supermarkets, aires, campsites, LPG stations etc., all with the same little red pushpin as an icon. This is no problem at all however, as it takes only a second to switch on just the category you want at the time, so there's never any confusion as only that one is shown on the map.

We tend to want POIs only for short distance use, as our main route navigation is taken care of by the satnav. If we want to find a (hidden!! Whistle1) supermarket however, the tablet is very handy as Sian can navigate to it quite easily on the big screen.

Maps.Me is free, and once the POIs are converted to kml files (details if required) they load into it automatically. You just send them to yourself as an email attachment, click on the attachment, and Maps.Me digests them instantly.

It works for us, and everything is offline!  up!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2