The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Throwaway society.

+6
RogerThat
Peter Brown
Heanorboy
dbroada
Quilter
bikeralw
10 posters

Go down

Throwaway society. Empty Throwaway society.

Post by bikeralw Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:29 pm

Recently my Nextbase dashcam started to shut down the instant I turned off the ignition. New internal battery required I thought, easy fix. Not so, there was no battery compartment. I emailed Nextbase, and to their credit I received a prompt reply complete with several pages of instructions on how to take the camera apart, which was very complicated and involved delicate soldering. They offered to supply the battery only for £10, or return the camera and they would replace the battery for £31. Because the unit is over 2 years old it seems I'm expected to buy a new one.
This got me looking at other items I've recently replaced, sat nav, phone, tablet, laptop etc, and unlike my old stuff, not one of them has a user accessible battery.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Throwaway society. Empty Re: Throwaway society.

Post by Quilter Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:33 pm

Oh how I agree !

While we were in Spain recently our 4 year old van microwave stopped microwaving. All other lights and features were working as normal. Daewoo reckoned it was either the magnetron or one of the two fuses that had gone. Since we had had several fuses blow that trip we assumed it was the fuse. Unfortunately no Daewoo agent we could find locally was able or willing to change that particular fuse or to supply a replacement. Eventually we bought a new microwave, had to do the necessary drilling etc to fit it in the slot as well as having to go through the relevant channels to find an Ecoparc who would take the "broken "one and then get it there. 

Looking on the bright side, we did get a smart calendar and 3 useful coloured jute recycling bags in exchange at the Crevillente Ecoparc.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:48 pm

bikeralw wrote:This got me looking at other items I've recently replaced, sat nav, phone, tablet, laptop etc, and unlike my old stuff, not one of them has a user accessible battery.
and when you do find one with an accessible battery, a replacement one is no longer available. scratch head

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK (Stolen)
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Heanorboy Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:08 pm

dbroada wrote:
bikeralw wrote:This got me looking at other items I've recently replaced, sat nav, phone, tablet, laptop etc, and unlike my old stuff, not one of them has a user accessible battery.
and when you do find one with an accessible battery, a replacement one is no longer available. scratch head
Best one Home computer Printers 
Bought a new one last month in Canon Sale as it was cheaper to buy it with a second free set of inks than buy the inks for my old one

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Ex 2012 Dorset W
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:13 pm

Heanorboy wrote:
Bought a new one last month in Canon Sale as it was cheaper to buy it with a second free set of inks than buy the inks for my old one

I used to do that all the time 15 years ago then they started just supplying small 'starter' cartridges with new machines!!!

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerThat Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:54 pm

Same with TVs now. I can buy a new 32" TV from Tesco for £180.

Or, I can pay a local TV repair guy £80 call out fee and a £40 diagnosis fee, only to then be told either the parts aren't available or it's simply beyond economicial repair.
RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Stanway
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:24 pm

Ever tried putting ten sheets of paper through a ten page shredder? All the ones I have had just get hot and start making 'orrible noises. Stripped the last one down to fix it, no it is all sealed in so you can't. Down the tip it goes and buy another one then! wave
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:15 pm

Its not just electrical gadgets though. As a society we bin tonnes of perfectly edible food, some of it grown the other side of the world and then transported here at great cost in energy and effort. We even throw away once worn clothes rather than washing them !

( Not me guv; I really do not).
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:48 pm

Quilter wrote:Its not just electrical gadgets though. As a society we bin tonnes of perfectly edible food, some of it grown the other side of the world and then transported here at great cost in energy and effort. We even throw away once worn clothes rather than washing them !

Who on earth does that Quilter? never heard of that one, then I must have had a sheltered life. smile!
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:42 am

daisy mae wrote:
Quilter wrote:Its not just electrical gadgets though. As a society we bin tonnes of perfectly edible food, some of it grown the other side of the world and then transported here at great cost in energy and effort. We even throw away once worn clothes rather than washing them !

Who on earth does that Quilter? never heard of that one, then I must have had a sheltered life.
Its called “ fast fashion”. Rather than having 2 or 3 seasons of clothing per year, as once was common, shops like Primark, H&M and the like can now use cheap fabrics and cheap labour to get designer copies of clothing into the shops up to 52 or more times per year. This leads to people buying more than they can reasonably wear just to keep up with the trends. Rather than wear, wash and mend, as my generation do, they wear and bin. Read about it and the harm it does.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:03 am

Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:54 am

Heanorboy wrote:Bought a new one last month in Canon Sale as it was cheaper to buy it with a second free set of inks than buy the inks for my old one
Yes! the cost of printer consumables is ridiculous. I've been using 'compatible' carts for years, usually from the same supplier on Ebay. Used to refill colour toner carts from URefill.co.uk when I was in charge of the club's laser printer.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by Heanorboy Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:39 am

boxerman wrote:
Heanorboy wrote:Bought a new one last month in Canon Sale as it was cheaper to buy it with a second free set of inks than buy the inks for my old one
Yes! the cost of printer consumables is ridiculous. I've been using 'compatible' carts for years, usually from the same supplier on Ebay. Used to refill colour toner carts from URefill.co.uk  when I was in charge of the club's laser printer.

Frank
It was only because I got a free set that I didn't buy compatibles plus the fact the new one was wireless so could print from the laptop.
My old HP is still connected to my many times updated Desktop and I think still gives better results on Photos even though is it at least 25 years old

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Ex 2012 Dorset W

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:27 am

Mostly I keep my clothes for too long but the big problem is getting decent quality in the current men’s clothing market. The days of “getting what you paid for” in places like M&S are long gone and, although I still get some things there, I do frequent some of the cheaper stores. I wear cotton tee shirts in summer and have yet to find any that will not shrink or keep their shape after washing (and I’ve tried them from all the usual suspects). I now get a small bundle from Primark at £1.80 each, they last about 3 or 4 washes before they are about the right size for a teddy bear to wear and they get recycled  shrugg

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:16 am

Askit wrote:. I wear cotton tee shirts in summer and have yet to find any that will not shrink or keep their shape after washing

I stopped buying cotton tee shirts long ago. Apart from a few 'tourist' tee shirts, mine are all the technical fibre wicking type used by walkers and sportspersons. My favourites were North Cape Coolmax ones but they went bust a while ago - perhaps because their tee shirts lasted too long? Had mine for several years and they don't shrink or go out of shape. They don't go like a shapeless wet rag when you sweat either. winks
Other makes are available, look at base layers in outdoor shops.
Much, much more expensive that what you are paying now but cheaper in the long run and nicer to wear in hot [or cold] weather.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:23 pm

Frank, I have those as well (including some “vintage” coolmax ones) but I use them mainly for walking for the reasons you mention  up!

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum