The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nuevo 2008 blow air heater outlets

+10
Wightman
daisy mae
Maasai Warrior
CC
Dare-devil-dennis
raymondo
PLOUGHLIN
Gromit
Paulmold
Brumloz
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Nuevo 2008 blow air heater outlets  - Page 2 Empty Re: Nuevo 2008 blow air heater outlets

Post by kaspian Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:50 am

Great conversion D-D-D , with a little thought at the factory it should have come like this 'out of the box' Our previous 2 motorhomes came without an externally accessed wet locker and I attacked both with power tools and cut out a 650 by 350mm hole in the side to fit a locker . You do measure twice on these occasions! 
      Just a thought with a bit of piano hinge and spare lock button  your panel covering the previous hole in the bed box could be a handy  front access hatch for the bedbox making it even more factory original looking. Well done , but only to be attempted by those comfortable in their abilities! allthumbz
kaspian

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : WARWICK XL
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Nuevo 2008 blow air heater outlets  - Page 2 Empty Re: Nuevo 2008 blow air heater outlets

Post by Gromit Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:59 am

kaspian wrote:Great conversion D-D-D , with a little thought at the factory it should have come like this 'out of the box' Our previous 2 motorhomes came without an externally accessed wet locker and I attacked both with power tools and cut out a 650 by 350mm hole in the side to fit a locker . You do measure twice on these occasions! 
      Just a thought with a bit of piano hinge and spare lock button  your panel covering the previous hole in the bed box could be a handy  front access hatch for the bedbox making it even more factory original looking. Well done , but only to be attempted by those comfortable in their abilities! allthumbz
Yes indeed Dennis, a super job and thanks to both you and Kaspian for the timely caveats.

Dennis's photos and description might make it sound fairly straightforward, but without his undoubted skills and expertise it's not a job for the faint hearted . . . and certainly not without contacting the dealer first.

Cracking result though Dennis!  up! up! up!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:57 pm

Dennis, superb job, well done....very neat and tidy and a great improvement for yourself.
I have one point (but in no way a criticism of your terrific work) and that is, I might have split the heater pipe close to heater and run the new spur along the fwd (front) edge of the seat box, under the newly positioned charger, so as to not have (what might be) a vulnerable section of heating pipe right where I might be casually dumping some heavy kit....
Either way, great job.....a consultant job as AS, perhaps?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Wightman Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:00 pm

Thanks Dennis

You've done a brilliant job there mate and must have had "heart in mouth" when/before you started it - and unit only 4 months young!!!

My layout is slightly different in the fact we have sink/cooker before we reach the wardrobe and then we have storage unit under wardrobe so will have to get my head around it before attacking  biggrin

I would of course still have the two 110 leisure batteries under the seat so may not be as easy on the Broadway FB but you've given me "food for thought"

Very many thanks

Brent Lovely spring day with SUN!!! IoW
Wightman
Wightman

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Pilote P740C Sensati
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Dare-devil-dennis Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:13 pm

Chris,

When I did the heater ducts, the Sargent box was still in place as I hadn't decided to go for it at that point. I ran the duct behind the water filling pipes and the gas filling pipe the keep it out of the way and use as much already occupied space as possible.

It was only after I tidied up and considered the box issue again I thought to myself "stop procrastinating and just do it". The fact that my wife, Jean was in Hong Kong at the time was also an influencing factor. I could get it finished before she came home!smile!

I did consider putting a false floor uver the duct, but that too would waste space.

Kaspian, yes, I agree and the cover at the moment is only screwed to the floor, so I haven't overdone it by screwing it to the bed panel. I just transferred the door from one place to the other as you can see so it was all presentable before the big reveal.

I may ask AS to sell me a piece of the faced plywood (maybe an offcut) to make another door. I have lots of piano hinge already and the matching door catches are pretty common. Actually I only need the knob as I had the convert the catch to a magnetic one because the Sargent unit sits much closer to the front face of the panel than in the original box. AS alreadt sent me the self adhesive edging strip for a new door. I used it around the inside edge of the new cutout. There was plenty left.

Last edited by Dare-devil-dennis on Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)
Dare-devil-dennis
Dare-devil-dennis
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:21 pm

Dare-devil-dennis wrote:I may ask AS to sell me a piece of the faced plywood (maybe an offcut) to make another door.
Hi Dennis

A/S certainly did sell offcuts very cheaply a couple of years ago when Alan ran the stores, and I expect they still do. For ten quid I got a piece big enough to make a full width access door to the underbed storage on one side, as the stingy gits at A/S no longer fit them.  rolleyes  (More cost cutting no doubt.) The wood grain runs the wrong way, but otherwise it looks the part, and after a week you never notice anyway.

Be careful which knob you order. Some of them, which don't look much different to cheap alternatives, are an absolutely stupid price. Something to do with the plating process I believe.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dare-devil-dennis Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:23 pm

Thanks for all the positive comments.

I spent much of my career in R&D as a Control Systems (instrumetation) Engineer. It taught me to look at how things work together and to ask myself "why is it done like that?". It's a habit I can't get out of now I am retired and it makes me intolerant of things that are 'Half Assed" or being told 'Oh it'l do".

When I saw that stupid box in my precious storage space I was quite exasperated. I could not have lived with it.

Next project is a locker for a spare toilet cassette under the rear of the floor. I find it crazy that the wet locker is 5mm too shallow to take a spare cassette for the C200 Thetford toilet.
Dare-devil-dennis
Dare-devil-dennis
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:26 pm

Cheers, Dennis....I guess it had crossed your mind....
I remember with our two Boleros, each having this type of storage, how easy it was just to lob the levellers and various boxes, into that inviting void...
Great job....
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:36 pm

Hi again Dennis

Just a thought.

Do you really need a locker for the spare cassette? It will take up internal space that you have just gone to enormous effort to liberate! (Edit: Just read your post properly. "Under the rear of the floor.")

It occurs to me that something like the wheel ramp storage I made might be preferable, as it takes up no internal room and is virtually invisible under the rear of the van. You would probably want to enclose it a bit more to keep the cassette clean, but it's surprising how little muck gets in, even with an open top and rear.
If you like the idea, I prefer real ale - none of that lager rubbish!!  snigger

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dare-devil-dennis Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:50 pm

Now, this is going to sound like I am just plagiarising, but the approach I have started is just like this, Honest!.

I have made (almost) a box that the cassette can slide into which will fit, hinged at the rear where the offside rear steady used to be. I had both steadies removed when I had the E&P hydraulic levellers fitted. This made them redundant and where HEAVY. My new box is made from aluminium cladding that is about 3mm thick and very light. I have a catch that is used for loft entrance doors that you push to latch and push to unlatch. (B&Q) I will probably back this up with a pin to remove before it will drop.

The neat thing about this approach is that the mounting studs through the floor for the steadies are still in place for me to fasten the whole assembly to.

It's got to get a whole lot warmer though before I go laying under the motorhome. I want to survive the winter to enjoy it for the rest of the year. Right now I am content to sit in the warm and wait.
Dare-devil-dennis
Dare-devil-dennis
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:42 pm

I'll still have the pint of ale Dennis!  cheerz!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeJJ Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:51 pm

Here is a picture of an underslung cassette on a Swift Rio, posted a little while back on the Swift Forum:

I suppose not too dissimilar to your concept.

MikeJJ
MikeJJ
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : MB - Burford
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Dare-devil-dennis Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:14 pm

Yes, I think I remember that. I think he had to cover the blade with something because it gets mucky.
Dare-devil-dennis
Dare-devil-dennis
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:33 pm

Dare-devil-dennis wrote:Next project is a locker for a spare toilet cassette under the rear of the floor. I find it crazy that the wet locker is 5mm too shallow to take a spare cassette for the C200 Thetford toilet.
Maybe I am missing something here - spare toilet rolls I can understand - but why do you need to carry a spare cassette?
I still have the same cassette that came with the vehicle when I bought it in 2014 - and the last time I used it, it was fine.
Is there a new unreported failure in the Thetford Cassette world that I am unaware off and likely to incur in the near future? 
I do recall on a recent rally one of our group having an issue with his Thetford Cassette and unable to repair it he called Thetford and a new unit was delivered to the camp site in Scotland the next day! Job done!
I think that would be my solution to having a replacement cassette.

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
Liam
Liam
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:39 pm

Liam, it's not to do with that.....sounds like you're not a regular off gridder
For those that wild camp, and aren't close to services for a few days, having plenty of fresh water is good but so is having somewhere to dump your black waste...
If there isn't anywhere handy and your cassette is full, then swap to the second one, just like swapping gas bottles....
Having somewhere to store the full one is the issue....it MUST be out side....though many continemtal 'wilders' store them in the garage.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Dare-devil-dennis Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:47 pm

We like to mix it up regards using CL sites, Brit Stops and full blown CCC and CMC sites.

If we use Britstops, it is not always possible to find somewhere to responsibly empty your cassette conveniently. We have found in the past, the cassette fills and then the priority of the whole trip changes to finding somewhere to empty it. We found the simplest solution is to carry a spare so a quick change gives you another few days to "get sorted". It just gives us more flexibility.
Dare-devil-dennis
Dare-devil-dennis
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:51 am

Well I would not have thought of that!!
We do go "off piste" occasionally for a few days at a time and have (so far) always managed to find a suitable waste disposal point before a "toilet full" crisis arises. Maybe we have been lucky thus far.
I don't think management would be very happy with the idea that we were transporting a full cassette slung underneath the wagon!!

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
Liam
Liam
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by Dare-devil-dennis Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:13 am

Liam wrote:I don't think management would be very happy with the idea that we were transporting a full cassette slung underneath the wagon!!

Well I could understand that reluctance if it was carried, unprotected, inside the motorhome. However, in a sealed wet locker or, especially underslung, what is the worst that can happen?

Maybe if you ever get in a "toilet crisis" your powers of persuasion might be enhanced? smile!

Dennis
Dare-devil-dennis
Dare-devil-dennis
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:41 pm

Dare-devil-dennis wrote:Well I could understand that reluctance if it was carried, unprotected, inside the motorhome. However, in a sealed wet locker or, especially underslung, what is the worst that can happen?
Depends entirely upon your perspective Dennis!
If you are in a following vehicle when the worst happens, you could find yourself deep "in the merde"Whistle1

Reminds me of the post (on another forum, and probably apocryphal) from an owner of an American RV with an electric dump valve for each of his tanks. He was incensed by an idiot who was tailgating on a fairly narrow road with no passing places, flashing and hooting madly? The RV driver briefly opened his fresh water drain tank, but that had no effect . . . . . better not to think too closely about what he did next, but he said it worked a treat!   uncertain
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:34 pm

This is well off topic, but I spent many years working on the railway before they introduced holding tanks on coaches, you soon learnt to turn your back as a train approached!

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Dare-devil-dennis Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:22 pm

LOL, I remember the signs "Do not use the toilet while the train is in the station"

I also remember my first caravan had a real Elsan toilet. A bucket with a toilet seat and a lid. You weren't going anywhere until you'd emptied that! It was 'orrible.
Dare-devil-dennis
Dare-devil-dennis
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2