The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fault in LED lighting Strips above cupboards

5 posters

Go down

Fault in LED lighting Strips above cupboards Empty Fault in LED lighting Strips above cupboards

Post by Chinaexplorer Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:55 pm

I was sitting in the van last night (at a campsite hooked up) when all of a sudden the lights went off. I only had on the 12v LED strip lights above the cupboards in my 2010 Broadway. I've never had a problem like this before. On closer inspection the LEDs were still glowing faintly. I tried the classic remedy (turn it off and turn it back on again) but that didn't fix it. I was surprised that both sides of the lights went off, as I have read on the forum about individual units coming un-plugged, but it can't be that. 

When I got home today, I tried the lights again and blow me down but they are working again! 

Does anyone know what is going on? Is there a controller for the strip-lights? If so, where is it?  Any suggestions (clean ones) welcome!

confused3
Chinaexplorer
Chinaexplorer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK

Back to top Go down

Fault in LED lighting Strips above cupboards Empty Re: Fault in LED lighting Strips above cupboards

Post by rogerblack Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:16 pm

Was the rest of your 12V system working when the lights failed?

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Fault in LED lighting Strips above cupboards Empty Re: Fault in LED lighting Strips above cupboards

Post by Chinaexplorer Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:42 pm

Yes. Everything else was just fine! As far as I could tell in the dark! LOL
Chinaexplorer
Chinaexplorer
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaexplorer Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:07 pm

Its now become properly intermittent. The lights sometimes work and sometimes don't. There is a "clunk" somewhere in the vicinity of the wardrobe when they go off. Anyone got any ideas?
Chinaexplorer
Chinaexplorer
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Maasai Warrior Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:12 pm

I had a similar problem with our LEDs a while back, I was lucky, it was simply a bad contact with the switch by the door. I took it apart carefully, cleaned and adjusted the contacts and so far no problems. I am sure yours is a bit more complicated than that, but you never know!

Pete
Maasai Warrior
Maasai Warrior
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway EB owner
Vehicle Year : Mar 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:52 pm

If you can get at them, check the connectors at the base of the psu are fully pushed in.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaexplorer Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:39 pm

Peter Brown wrote:If you can get at them, check the connectors at the base of the psu are fully pushed in.
Thanks Peter, but where is the PSU?
Chinaexplorer
Chinaexplorer
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaexplorer Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:24 pm

Well the fault isn't intermittent any more - now the lights won't come on at all. So I need to do a bit more research. So where is the PSU? and how do I get the light switch off? Any thoughts welcome!
shrugg
Chinaexplorer
Chinaexplorer
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:40 pm

PSU is at the back of the wardrobe, the EC328 or 325. The connectors are underneath and you have 2 options to reach them.
1 Remove drawer under wardrobe and push connectors in by feel only.
2 Remove the screws holding the PSU to the back wardrobe wall and pray that you don't drop one. I wanted to remove my PSU a year or two ago and chickened out!

With the switch - most of those have an escutcheon. Look carefully round the edge and you will see a small slot. Insert a suitable screwdriver and carefully prize off the escutcheon to reveal some screws which secure the switch to the wall.

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaexplorer Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:45 pm

Thanks Inspiredron. I'll try it tomorrow.
Chinaexplorer
Chinaexplorer
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down