The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LPG gauge

+14
JandJ
raffles8
Spospe
gef
Gromit
ChrisP28
KMRTOPAZ
Liam
Toffee
Pete Taylor
Cymro
spanner
Paramedic
Molly3
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

LPG gauge  - Page 2 Empty Re: LPG gauge

Post by Molly3 Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:56 am

I have used the od pump that cuts off early  ,also did you hold the pump fill button  in  until it automatically cut off ? ,  give it a couple more fills  before  looking for a fault .
Molly3
Molly3

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:10 am

For those who have the Gasit 9 LEDs gauge (for the standard 25 litres tank, being 20 litres net working capacity), the following table may be helpful. It's dervived from Gromit's posts above. I compiled it and printed it to place near the gauge as a reminder. All thanks to Gromit, noting his caveats.

The key fact is that the left-most LED (red) only displays after all 8 green LEDs are extinguished, showing that you're down to your last 4 or so litres.

Red LED only (not normally on): say 4 litres left. Time to top up.
1 green LED: 2 litres (plus reserve of 4) = 6 litres left
2 green LED: 4 litres (plus reserve of 4) = 8 litres left
3 green LED: 6 litres (plus reserve of 4) = 10 litres left
4 green LED: 8 litres (plus reserve of 4) = 12 litres left
5 green LED: 10 litres (plus reserve of 4) = 14 litres left
6 green LED: 12 litres (plus reserve of 4) = 16 litres left
7 green LED: 14 litres (plus reserve of 4) = 18 litres left
8 green LED: 16 litres (plus reserve of 4) = 20 litres left

Cymro

Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

LPG gauge  - Page 2 Empty autogas gauge Warwick .Duo 13 reg

Post by raffles8 Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:12 am

Thanks Molly3
I pressed the button several times but got no more gas.The gauge showed empty before I went and still does.I used quite a lot of gas afterwards and think the tank was full although it shows empty.
raffles8
raffles8

Male

Member Age : 85
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by JandJ Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:05 am

We have stopped bothering with the gauge and work on the principle that we typically use between 0.5 and 0.6L per day (depending on ambient temperature, fridge use, cooking enthusiasm). We fill up and then count the number of nights usage which tells us when to refill, typically once every 12-15 nights for our small 12L tank - we know we could go longer but why not fill when you're passing a garage - that's the beauty of a tank based system.

Comparing the amount put in during the fill helps us calibrate our feel for what we use.
JandJ
JandJ

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:09 am

Filled up with lpg yesterday. Gauge was showing 3 green LEDs. According to the table which I posted on this thread (above) on 3 Sept, I had less than 10 litres but more than 8 litres left. And indeed, it took just over 9 litres to fill to its 20 litres working capacity. 

In other words, Gromit's observations (from which my table is derived) are exactly the same as mine. So provided that the tank was correctly aligned when fitted, that table is pretty accurate and would be of assistance to those with a similar tank.

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:38 am

The early gauges (like mine) only have 1 red light (empty or nearly) and 4 green lights. What looks like a fifth light isn't a light but a 'sun' symbol. I had 2 green lights yesterday and only got 5.8 litres in. They are notoriously inaccurate but there is a YouTube video showing how to recalibrate the gauge to match the gauge on the tank . 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Libraryman2 Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:11 pm

I’m sure people are aware that there’s a gauge called Mopeka
..Ive ordered one ..apparently very reliable and accurate...it sends a signal to your mobile through an app.....it monitors by radio signals through the tank I believe.
It can be used on vertical and horizontal tanks...

Ray
Libraryman2
Libraryman2

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Corinium FB
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

LPG gauge  - Page 2 Empty LPG reading.

Post by pjonesf1 Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:39 pm

I filled up on three lights and only got 7 liters in but it did read full after a short time.
pjonesf1
pjonesf1

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Molly3 Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:15 am

I would give it a couple more goes ,sometimes the pumps click off early .
Molly3
Molly3

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:43 am

pjonesf1 wrote:I filled up on three lights and only got 7 liters in but it did read full after a short time.

Sounds just like mine. I’ve always used a local (manned) flogas supplier so I’ve got to assume they know what they are doing.
On both the occasions I’ve let the gauge get down to the red LED, they have only managed to get around 11 litres in. I have also filled up at various LED levels in order to get a feel of my gauge, this has been very embarrassing on a couple of occasions when 4/5 LEDs resulted in about £4-5 of gas.

I have come to 2 conclusions which seems to be generally what many have also found.

1- The 9 LED gauges are very inaccurate but....are reliably inaccurate so once you get a feel for your own readings you can make a pretty good guesstimate!
2- They always seem to give a reading that indicates you have less gas than is actually in the tank. That’s got to be better than the other way round smile!
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:59 am

It’s critical that the tank is correctly aligned. Mine was not and the readings were wildly inaccurate. I had the tank re-levelled to the manufacturer ‘s  spec. The readings are now consistent and accurate as per the table. 

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:09 am

Cymro wrote:It’s critical that the tank is correctly aligned. Mine was not and the readings were wildly inaccurate. I had the tank re-levelled to the manufacturer ‘s  spec. The readings are now consistent and accurate as per the table. 

Cymro

Sorry, didn’t mean to question your table Cymro. 
My gauge reflects your table pretty much the same but with an extra 4/5 litres in the tank which just shows up the anomalies in these gauges up!
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:41 am

Oh my goodness! I didn’t remotely consider it criticism!!

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:45 am

i domt have an inderslung tank, merely an 11kg (22 ltr) single gaslow bottle.
whilst the gauges on these are notoriously inaccurate, most users (including ourselves) will have a 'nose' for usage and will fill 'if we think we need it and its comvenient'...
if heading east from our home we pass an lpg station and will usually fill 'because we can' as the gas and diesel fillers are on the same side and both fuel types are together...
but, the more anyone uses LPG, the more they get the 'feel' of the need to fill, irrespective of what the gauge says....
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:32 am

bolero boy wrote:whilst the gauges on these are notoriously inaccurate, most users (including ourselves) will have a 'nose' for usage and will fill 'if we think we need it and its comvenient'...
Yes indeed, but only because they cannot possibly give a linear reading due to their construction.

Once understood via the diagram below, it can be seen that although the gauge can't be described as accurate, it does give a reliable indication of when to top up, specifically after the level reaches about the half way mark. and the gauge begins to register.

Not ideal, but once the "nose" has been perfected the gauge is pretty reliable.

Hope this helps.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by Libraryman2 Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:56 am

bolero boy wrote:i domt have an inderslung tank, merely an 11kg (22 ltr) single gaslow bottle.
whilst the gauges on these are notoriously inaccurate, most users (including ourselves) will have a 'nose' for usage and will fill 'if we think we need it and its comvenient'...
if heading east from our home we pass an lpg station and will usually fill 'because we can' as the gas and diesel fillers are on the same side and both fuel types are together...
but, the more anyone uses LPG, the more they get the 'feel' of the need to fill, irrespective of what the gauge says....
I would agree in general with the above, however my other half likes the reassurance of knowing that running out of gas is not going to happen...
It’s akin to running around in the car with very little knowledge of how much petrol is in the tank, despite your valid point that one learns to guess what in, it’s still a guess and in winter @ minus 10C gas does not last long with heating and big fridges on the go!

Give me an accurate gauge anytime and take the guesswork out.

Ray
Libraryman2
Libraryman2

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Corinium FB
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2