The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stanton Step

+3
big'nuf
gef
Dare-devil-dennis
7 posters

Go down

Stanton Step Empty Stanton Step

Post by Dare-devil-dennis Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:22 pm

Hi

Having taken delivery and using our brand new Stanton over the last two weeks (which is like a TARDIS without the time travel), we are delighted with it.

However, we are both a little nervous of the step when leaving the motorhome. It feels like it is too far down and too far back to confidently step out. To put a full foot on the step on the way out of the motorhome, it feels like you are being pitched forward. we often feel safer coming out backwards.

I have looked at the Thule double step as an option, but the upper of the two steps has the same dimension from the underside of the mounting brackets to the upper step, so the double option just seems to add a lower step.

As an aside, sometimes the step does not fully deploy and you have to retract it and re-deploy it to get it to lock down. A potential safety issue. I have increased the "step counts" on the Sargent control panel (dealer settings) but this has made no difference.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Many thanks
Dennis
Dare-devil-dennis
Dare-devil-dennis
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Stanton Step Empty Re: Stanton Step

Post by gef Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:02 pm

Hi Dennis we have a nuevo and found the same problem so purchased a static step with two levels and it is much safer
Geof
gef

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Dare-devil-dennis Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:06 pm

Thanks Gef, this is what was in my mind, in fact doing an ebay search right now.
Dare-devil-dennis
Dare-devil-dennis
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by big'nuf Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:35 pm

we have always used a static step - most motorhome steps feel flimsy.
big'nuf
big'nuf

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : Stanton and Broadway
Vehicle Year : 2013/201

Back to top Go down

Post by gef Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:01 pm

Dennis make sure you get the measurements right I found at least two heights
gef

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Dare-devil-dennis Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:58 pm

Looking at the Milenco aluminium double step with rubber on the treads

1st step 180mm up second 360mm. Will get the tape measure out tomorrow
Dare-devil-dennis
Dare-devil-dennis
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyBea Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:35 pm

We bought kampa aluminium double folding steps for our bourton & they work fine.
LadyBea
LadyBea

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Stanton
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Dare-devil-dennis Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:43 pm

went out today and bought a Milenco aluminium double step with rubber treads. it is perfect. I would recommend it.

I will take the electric step off the motorhome as it will just get mucky, covered in road muck and eventually seize through non-use. it will then be available if there ever is a next owner. Maybe I can think of a use for the electrical signals / supply that the step uses. any suggestions? It would be nice if I could upgrade the awning to electrical. The step switch / controls would be perfect for that. Unfortunately Thule do not do such an upgrade.

Thanks for the advice and comments
Dare-devil-dennis
Dare-devil-dennis
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Molly3 Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:50 pm

A friend of mine with an almost new hymer his step fell apart this weekend
Molly3
Molly3

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:51 pm

Dennis,
The Royal Navy would tell you the only way to descend steps is backwards. They have a point. We've been using our Stanton Step since Dec '14 without incident... although I'm certain that one of us will eventually go a flyer when stepping out onto a step which is retracted!
I considered fitting a simple red/green LED traffic light inside the door- green when the step is out, red when not but the complexities of CanBus wiring defeated me. I would suggest that you talk to the electrical guru at A-S before making any changes (even if you areĀ  qualified/competent) as you may affect the warranty on the vehicle.

Pete.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Stanton.

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:45 pm

Pete Taylor wrote:the complexities of CanBus wiring defeated me.

Pete - you really don't need to worry about CANbus. It's only involved in comms between major control modules, and you'll almost never have to deal with it.

It plays no part at all in wiring to lights, switches and motors, unless they have a CANbus controller built in - and in almost every situation you're likely to encounter they won't. Unfortunately a lot of false mystery has been created by people blaming CANbus for things which have nothing at all to do with CANbus (for example "CANbus compatible" LED bulbs - which have nothing whatsoever to do with CANbus, despite what the seller's adverts say).

I do a lot of wiring mods on my van (which has three CAN networks onboard), and I've only had to deal with CAN-related wiring once - when adding an OEM trailer control module - and that was easy, because it's either connected to the bus or it's not - there are no other valid wiring options.

With regard to the step, the limit switch/switches on the step itself should give you a point to connect warning LEDs - there will be no CANbus involvement in any of that wiring.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:24 pm

-mojo- wrote:
Pete Taylor wrote:the complexities of CanBus wiring defeated me.

Pete - you really don't need to worry about CANbus. It's only involved in comms between major control modules, and you'll almost never have to deal with it.

It plays no part at all in wiring to lights, switches and motors, unless they have a CANbus controller built in - and in almost every situation you're likely to encounter they won't. Unfortunately a lot of false mystery has been created by people blaming CANbus for things which have nothing at all to do with CANbus (for example "CANbus compatible" LED bulbs - which have nothing whatsoever to do with CANbus, despite what the seller's adverts say).

I do a lot of wiring mods on my van (which has three CAN networks onboard), and I've only had to deal with CAN-related wiring once - when adding an OEM trailer control module - and that was easy, because it's either connected to the bus or it's not - there are no other valid wiring options.

With regard to the step, the limit switch/switches on the step itself should give you a point to connect warning LEDs - there will be no CANbus involvement in any of that wiring.
Such wisdom from one so young! I'm surprised that you can even get insurance on your VW van. winks

Pete.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Stanton.

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:44 am

I'm still on my Mum's insurance - don't tell anyone!
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down