The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

oil filled type heater

+7
meanchris
merv
frederic
Peter Brown
daisy mae
Paulmold
luxorone
11 posters

Go down

oil filled type heater Empty oil filled type heater

Post by luxorone Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:41 pm

I'm looking for recommendations on small oil filled type heaters and wondered what others were using for there vans.
in an ideal world with a thermostat if possible
luxorone
luxorone

Male

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper : talisman
Vehicle Year : none

Back to top Go down

oil filled type heater Empty Re: oil filled type heater

Post by Paulmold Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:00 pm

Previous threads..

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:52 pm

D`longi sp 500 has thermastat, recommended.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:48 am

I've had many of these.  The latest one in the van is a bit battered so I bough a new one from B&Q this time last year.  It rattles loudly when travelling.  I took it back and found all of that batch did, the thermostat is not fixed to the case.  That now keeps the shed dry with the old one still in the van.

Last edited by Peter Brown on Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by frederic Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:39 pm

"It rattles lordly when travelling"
Ours knows its palace,
Jammed in the crate with the waste container, hookup cable, step mat & other stuff!
frederic
frederic
frederic
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz TipT
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by merv Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:27 pm

I use one of the common , small, oil filled radiators..Like Peter, It sits upfront in the cab when on but it stores neatly behind the front passenger seat when travelling. I did take notice of one comment made on the thread recommended by Paul.. i.e.   the possibility of it leaking... the radiator sits on a narrow tray both when travelling and when switched on.
merv

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol Plus
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by frederic Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:58 am

Try this trick
Get one of those cheap desk/computer fans(£3) that are driven by the usb port on a comp. and
position it at an angle to blow over the fins, its very quiet and energy efficient.
(I feel a Dragons Den appearance coming on)
A small 230v fan heater is being advertised on the TV and also in the Coopers flier mag.
400w with built in timer and 2speed fan for £14.99 (free postage on orders over £15) 
Anyone tried these?
frederic
frederic
frederic
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:12 am

frederic wrote:Try this trick
Get one of those cheap desk/computer fans(£3) that are driven by the usb port on a comp. and
position it at an angle to blow over the fins, its very quiet and energy efficient.
(I feel a Dragons Den appearance coming on)
A small 230v fan heater is being advertised on the TV and also in the Coopers flier mag.
400w with built in timer and 2speed fan for £14.99 (free postage on orders over £15) 
Anyone tried these?
frederic
When we first started we used a fan heater in the Duetto but didn't leave it on when away from the van as a big fire risk if they go wrong (eg fan stops but heat doesn't). During our first Whitemead rally, in the snow, we were shown the benefits of having a 500w oil filled radiator on all the time, called in at Gloucester on the way back to get one and have used one every winter since.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:48 pm

I won't allow a fan heater in our van, or house, without there being someone present all the time that it's on.

I've seen too many suddenly emit a shower of white hot debris and sparks when either the fan stops (or even just slows due to worn bearings), or the elements sag and touch each other.

A convector isn't quite as dangerous, IMHO, but I still don't like them to be on while I'm asleep either, in case someone on a nocturnal expedition to the loo trips over one.
meanchris

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : N/A

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:23 pm

I would never ever use a fan heater, MH or house. not safe. IMHO worst thing is a fire especially in a MH.

Last edited by daisy mae on Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fan instead of van)
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:41 pm

I've dismantled a few, and modern fan heaters should not be considered as intrinsically dangerous. All the ones that I've looked at recently have a tip-over switch so that they will only work on a flat, level surface, have had a thermostat, and also they have all had an over-heat cutout on the element assembly.

I tend to stick with ceramic element types for one simple reason: it's easy to get good thermal contact between the over-heat cutout and the element itself, so there should be no realistic possibility of an element melt-down if the fan fails. Any that I use in situations where they may be unattended for a while have their cheap sleeve-bearing fan replaced with a proper cast-chassis ball-bearing based fan.

TBH I can't actually think of any great advantage of an oil-filled radiator over an element-to-air convector. The oil does even out the heat output when limited by the thermostat, but the downside is significantly greater weight and the possibility of leaks. When I used a convector in the past I always used an oil-free one (such as the Dimplex Eco Chico) to save weight and bulk.

[Edit: actually, you don't save any bulk - a non-oil-filled convector has to have a fair bit of protected space around the element, so they tend to be hardly any less bulky than oil-filled - but still a lot lighter!]
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:59 pm

-mojo- wrote:When I used a convector in the past I always used an oil-free one (such as the Dimplex Eco Chico) to save weight and bulk.

[Edit: actually, you don't save any bulk - a non-oil-filled convector has to have a fair bit of protected space around the element, so they tend to be hardly any less bulky than oil-filled - but still a lot lighter!]

Totally sold on the idea, the Mini looks an excellent product but its much bigger than my oil filled and wont go where we need it between the cab seats - shame.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Alf Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:54 pm

We bought a 500w Dimplex Coldwatcher in the 1990's  this will free stand, lay down or wall mount on two screws it has a frost setting 5deg above freezing we have used this in all our vans since. After seeing the damage a leaking Oil heater can do I would never use one

Alf

https://www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/dimplex-coldwatcher/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzJidp9C-1wIV7ZztCh1veAg6EAQYAyABEgLyDfD_BwE
Alf
Alf

Male

Member Age : 82

Back to top Go down

Post by Johno Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:53 pm

Having had two mini oil filled heaters fail due to thermostats not operating properly and working on the safety cut out only I purchased a Dimplex Chico which is a small convector heater slightly bigger than the oil filled but more efficient heating up quickly and using only 700 watts, and the thermostat actually works. smile!

The heater weighs less than the oil filled and there is no chance of oil leaks it also comes with a 3 year warranty.

Cheers John up!
Johno
Johno
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Eton
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:21 pm

Never felt the need for a heater, but then we do live way down south, even frost's are rare.
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:27 pm

BTW if anyone wants a Dimplex Chico at a very reasonable price, let me know!

I bought it for the Flair, where it worked very well, but then I sold the Flair and bought a Celex. A Celex has a draughty tent on the roof rather than a solid high-top, and 700W is not enough, so it has sat in storage ever since.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24

Back to top Go down

Post by frederic Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:19 pm

No one had any experience with the 400w fan heater then??
We also have the 500w Coldwatch, actually 2 of them BUT their element does radiate an appreciable amount of infra red so not ideal between the front seats where we use the oil filled, and the one Coldwatch at the rear by the back doors.
frederic
frederic
frederic
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down