The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Decals

4 posters

Go down

Decals Empty Decals

Post by nodrog Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:26 pm

Hi all, I'm new to the motorhome ownership and as such just bought a 1998 Excelsior on a Ford Transit, which, after a very good clean should be ok, what I'm after is a bit of info on the Decals on the van, has anyone replaced the fading and old Decals with new, and if so, was it a difficult job removing the original or is it best to leave it to the professionals. I live in Leeds, so if anyone has had them replaced by a professional I would be great full for the address or email, as a side line can you still get a tap and vanity unit for the bathroom as he's looking a bit tired, after 20 years though, he's not that bad.

Also there's no books at all about the work-ins of any of the systems i.e. water, gas, zig unit etc. so anyone know where I could get a copy of ANY! workings of the van, not been anywhere yet, only got him Friday so looking foreword to giving him a ride out this weekend to the coast, thanks all.
nodrog
nodrog

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : excelsior
Vehicle Year : 1998Vehi

Back to top Go down

Decals Empty Decal removal

Post by janian Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:34 pm

Hi. I removed the decals on my previous vehicle, a 1998 Duetto. I reckon it took around 16 hours in total. I removed the top layer VERY carefully with a heat gun. The remaining sticky residue was removed with a great deal of elbow grease! I tried various substances including white spirit, and proprietary sticky stuff remover but eventually found that WD 40 did a good job.
I bought different width stripes from eBay and stuck the narrow ones onto the wide ones indoors before applying the whole to the vehicle. It can be done with a lot of time and patience!
I'm sure your other questions will be answered soon by other members on here. Good luck!
janian
janian

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Decals Empty Re: Decals

Post by groundhog Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:17 pm

Are there not vehicle graphic companies around Leeds that could copy the old ones? I have only done this for boats but it is possible with modern technology to get a very close match and the cost was not be that great.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Decals Empty Re: Decals

Post by bikeralw Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:30 pm

Maybe a bit far for you, but I left my van with this company for a few days and they replicated every graphic on my van, removed all the old tired ones and applied the new shiny ones.
All for £260, a bargain I thought.
Al.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down