The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reversing Rear View Camera

4 posters

Go down

Reversing Rear View Camera Empty Reversing Rear View Camera

Post by Jif Tue 22 Aug 2017 - 13:03

Hi, in my new member post a member was interested in my choice of reversing/rear view camera set up. It has taken me a while to get around to this and I'm not sure if he's already bought one, but this may also be of interest to others so here goes.

The camera setup I purchased was this one from Ebay. I had read in various forums when searching for a solution that this was a decent one,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorhome-Twin-Camera-Rear-View-Reversing-System-Dash-Monitor-white-camera/271497196850?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

I liked the fact that it had two cameras set at different angles, one for reversing, the other for rear view, also it had built in infra red leds for night vision. I chose the bigger screen, (another otherwise identical kit has a smaller screen that is about the size of a rear view mirror).

I mounted the camera on a plastic chopping board which I had shaped beforehand and used very strong sealant to glue this to the top of the van, (very Heath Robinson but it works!). I wanted to avoid drilling holes into the vehicle chassis as much as possible and have the camera unit protruding slightly from the back.

The kit comes with a cable set which went from back to front with cable to spare, the camera and monitor each have a short length of cable with connectors which fit into the long connecting length. On the camera side I cut off the connectors and soldered the connections to reduce the physical bulk, then encased that in a piece of heatshrink putting sealant into the heatshrink before shrinking it to keep it waterproof.

Here's a couple of pictures,

Reversing Rear View Camera Camerabig

Reversing Rear View Camera Cameraclose

I brought the cable into the van via the aerial fitting box, which now has a satellite connector fitted, but I'm thinking of re-routing this through the roof now I'm a bit more familiar with the chassis construction.

Finding a place to mount the monitor had me scratching my head, I eventually bought a second hand T4 rear view mirror from Ebay, chopped the sides off it and fixed the monitor onto it. I used this to replace the existing rear view mirror. Routing the cable was fairly easy though I had to drill a few holes through the cupboards and fit in some trunking to keep it neat.

Here are some photos showing the monitor with a view from each camera,

Reversing Rear View Camera Monitorcab
Reversing Rear View Camera Monitorback
Reversing Rear View Camera Monitorclose

Reversing Rear View Camera Monitorwide

So that's it really, it works well for me and I hope this is some help to others, even if it's - "I'm definitely not doing it like that!"
Jif
Jif

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

Reversing Rear View Camera Empty Re: Reversing Rear View Camera

Post by davtherav Tue 22 Aug 2017 - 23:19

Hi Jif
Thanks for this , you've done a good job, I'm very impressed. I haven't made a start on doing mine but I will eventually.
Dave
davtherav
davtherav

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Talisman
Vehicle Year : 1993

Back to top Go down

Post by art Wed 13 Sep 2017 - 0:19

How well does it work in the dark?
art
art

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by Jif Thu 14 Sep 2017 - 13:55

art wrote:How well does it work in the dark?

Pretty good from memory, the infrared leds seem to do the job. It's been a while since I used it in the dark, I'll take a picture tonight and post it up.
Jif
Jif

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

Reversing Rear View Camera Empty Reversing camera

Post by Vanguard755 Sat 21 Oct 2017 - 20:15

Hello, I thought of buying one of these but since the wife put a financial block on me spending I had to go the cheap route. Ive still got the AS factory one fitted but have fitted one of these,eBay item number:142340253679 just above it,£31.95 off well known auction site.
I have fitted the screen so it flips down in the middle of the cab roof just behind the curtain rail( AS Broadway EKTBLP). I fitted it after an incident on the M5 motorway on our last trip out, the infra red lights are brilliant they light our garden up!!.
So, now I have a reversing camera and one I can switch on when I want to see all the traffic behind me. Also fitted some LED reversing lights so I can see in the dark when reversing(eBay item number:192286029128, again off the same site)), bought 4 and put 2 on the front as DRL`s, super bright.

Chris

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EKTBLP
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down