The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reversed polarity confused need help urgent.

5 posters

Go down

Reversed polarity confused need help urgent. Empty Reversed polarity confused need help urgent.

Post by seanroberts037 Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:58 pm

Hi,

Just returned form holiday got home connected moho to mains and unit under seat showing reverse polarity light red, checked socket with tester and exactly the same, does anyone know why please auto-sleeper Broadway fb.

Cheers

Sean
seanroberts037
seanroberts037

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Reversed polarity confused need help urgent. Empty Re: Reversed polarity confused need help urgent.

Post by dbroada Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:17 am

Assuming you are using a standard UK 13A 3 pin plug, you cannot plug in 'the wrong way round' so I can only assume you have a wiring fault, either in your hookup lead (s) or your van. A continuity test on the lead will prove if  your lead is ok and your dealer should be able to help you if it's your van.

Although you are seeing a fault, it is not one that would stop me using the van.

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK (Stolen)

Back to top Go down

Reversed polarity confused need help urgent. Empty Re: Reversed polarity confused need help urgent.

Post by dbroada Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:19 am

And test the 3 pin home socket for polarity just in case somebody has wired an extension incorrectly!

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK (Stolen)

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:22 am

Had that recently, check the connections in the EHU Lead..    Solved our problem.  I was not impressed with the connection system in the plugs/sockets so replaced them with some older ones I had with proper screw type joints
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by seanroberts037 Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:28 am

Hi Roli
Never had an issue with EHU lead before & hope my update got through as internet dropping out but the was an issue with the electrics in the garage, tested the socket I was connected to and found that 1 red light showing in tester indicating fault, tested another socket in kitchen tester all ok, checked socket in van with tester sand all ok, checked rev polarity light on sysyem.under seat and it wasn't on.
So in the end all ok

Cheers
Sean
seanroberts037
seanroberts037

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:17 am

I see you have just returned from holiday and I think you enquired about fitting a rev plug in your lead while abroad. Have you removed this adaptor?

Otherwise like others have said you must have a fault onboard, I assume you have checked your house wiring to the socket you are plugged into.

Richard

Sorry just read you comment, too early for me on a Sunday and see all is well now, well done.
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:57 am

seanroberts037 wrote:Hi Roli
Never had an issue with EHU  lead before & hope my update got through as internet dropping out but the was an issue with the electrics in the garage, tested the socket I was connected to and found that 1 red light showing in tester indicating fault, tested another socket in kitchen tester all ok, checked socket in van with tester sand all ok, checked rev polarity light on sysyem.under seat and it wasn't on.
So in the end all ok

Cheers
Sean

For other readers to note:

The only time I've had the reverse polarity light on the psu come on at home, the fault was an open circuit earth conductor in my hook up lead. This was potentially a life threatening fault as it would prevent the operation of the residual current device on the input of the 230v if an earth bonded metal surface became connected to the 230v live.

I located the fault in the body of the cable. The earth conductor was not continuous. Two ends of the conductor butted against each other and were sealed in the cable sheath during manufacture, sometimes there was continuity but most times not - I'd been using that cable a long time so was lucky no other fault had developed with the wiring in the van......

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB

Back to top Go down