The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Swingwalls

+11
groundhog
Jaime 007
burlingtonboaby
chrisk
paul bullock
We Love Hugo
Quilter
Gromit
dbroada
Askit
Paulmold
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Swingwalls Empty Swingwalls

Post by Paulmold Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:11 pm

We've been looking for a few months now to change the Nuevo. I think we have come to a decision to swop to either a later Nuevo or a Broadway (the layout with two long benches and rear kitchen, two berth). The stumbling block to stay with an AS for my better half is the swingwall used in both models. As far as she is concerned, a swingwall is just something to go wrong. I remember one thread on here about the top pivot coming away from the ceiling. I hope that was just a one-off. Has anyone else had problems with their swingwall?
We've still not totally written off the Warwick Duo as an alternative but feel we may appreciate the space of another coachbuilt more.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Swingwalls Empty Re: Swingwalls

Post by Askit Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:32 pm

We don't move ours very often but it's one of the (many) things we like about the model. No problems with it whatsoever. I can understand the attraction of the Warwick Duo, we've looked at them a few times. For us it's about the extra space so if we were to change right now it would be another Neuvo or, at a push, a Broadway.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:49 pm

I have only swung mine a couple of times as we prefer to shower using the site facilities. I do have a problem with the translucent shower screen though. I have to park on a steep slope and the very flexible screen bows quite considerably. It hasn't yet detatched although it looks very close and is fine when parked on the level or on a moderate slope.

We looked at panel vans but felt so much more comfortable in a coachbuilt. I would like something longer but we cannot go above 6m and still park at our flat, and the Scandinavian tolls were a lot cheaper for under 6m vans so I am happy with the Nuevo.

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK (Stolen)
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:51 pm

I am quite tall at 6' 3", and nothing like as bendy as I used to be. For me the swing wall makes all the difference in a small van, where there isn't room for a large, dedicated shower.

I can take a shower quite easily if I don't flail my arms too much, and without splashing water all over the place. The only problem I have is bashing my head as I exit the bathroom!!   Whistle1 (Over two years and I still haven't learned!!!)

I think the problem aired on here a while ago must have been a one off. Others would have gleefully joined in if they had experienced the same problem - and they didn't! I would consider it one of the better design features of the van, as it utilises a small space to the best possible advantage.

Plus if you are one of those people who never use their own shower ( scratch head ) you are wasting hardly any room, as most of the shower area doubles up as standing room in the loo when having a wash or doing the teeth.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:01 pm

We have not had any problems with our swingwall shower, fitted on the same 2 berth Broadway you are considering.  We do occasionally forget that the shower gel is in the niche behind the washbasin, behind the wall, but eventually one of us remembers. 

As Dave says above, it's a neat bit of design making the best of a small space.

If you are of generous proportions or borderline agoraphobic then there is no reason why you should swing the wall at all to shower. A bit more wiping down afterwards but nothing that a good microfibre cloth can't deal with. Remove the loo roll first though....
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by We Love Hugo Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:40 pm

One of the reasons we chose our Nuevo was the cleverness of the "swingwall". It gave us basically what we had in our previous caravan "a shower cubicle", not just a shower curtain and in such a compact vehicle.
We Love Hugo
We Love Hugo

Male

Member Age : 60
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol Plus
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:59 pm

Researching for a possible Nuevo, did AS stop production between 2011 and 2014? I ask because on Autotrader there are 48 Nuevos for sale but none between those years which is likely to be the age we want.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:04 pm

Did they call them Nuevo II during that time?

We had one, and that's what it was called, but I don't know for how long they were named as such.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:04 pm

dbroada wrote:I do have a problem with the translucent shower screen though. I have to park on a steep slope and the very flexible screen bows quite considerably. It hasn't yet detatched although it looks very close and is fine when parked on the level or on a moderate slope.
 We've used small blocks of the flexible high density foam, the kind that is often used in packaging, at the top, middle and bottom, between the door and the wall. It stops the door rattling and seems to prevent it bowing quite so much.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:15 pm

dbroada wrote: I do have a problem with the translucent shower screen though. I have to park on a steep slope and the very flexible screen bows quite considerably. 

I wonder if you have the same screen that we have ? Ours is strong enough that we hang a couple of overdoor hooks over the top with a bath mat on one and a bathrobe on the other. We've done that since new in early 2014 and never had a suspicion of bowing, deforming or chipping.  In wet weather we hang wet anoraks and umbrellas there.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by paul bullock Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:22 pm

Hi Paul, weve got a 2012 NUEVO EK ,having had coachbuilts with the dreaded nylon curtains ( Hymer and a Pilote) the swing wall came over as a really good design point ,and it hasn't disappointed, and no problems with it at all. the difference between a 2012 and 2014 onwards is that they are about 4 inches longer so that they were able to make the lounge settees the same length,they were in continuous production throughout those Yrs, probably the lack of S/H Nuevos is due to like us we like it too much to change!Best of luck with your quest for a new van, Kind regards      Paul up!
paul bullock
paul bullock
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : nuevo ek 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisk Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:23 pm

When we first went to use our swing wall (Berkshire)it come off with a small black plastic bit on the floor, could not work out where it came from so put swing wall back in place had no problems since. What i have noticed with the sink section that swings round is a crack on corner of sink think it caused by leaning on sink when on loo.
chrisk
chrisk
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Berkshire
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:40 pm

Hi Paul
We didn't use our shower in the 09 Nuevo that often. However we have used this one in the Sigma frequently this year, I'm abit more porky now and can still get a good lather up within its confirmed space.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:58 pm

Thanks everyone for comments so far. Carol is a lot more confident in the swingwall now. Just got to find a van in our budget.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:06 pm

Quilter wrote:
dbroada wrote: I do have a problem with the translucent shower screen though. I have to park on a steep slope and the very flexible screen bows quite considerably. 

I wonder if you have the same screen that we have ? Ours is strong enough that we hang a couple of overdoor hooks over the top with a bath mat on one and a bathrobe on the other. We've done that since new in early 2014 and never had a suspicion of bowing, deforming or chipping.  In wet weather we hang wet anoraks and umbrellas there.

If I feel like heading downstairs sometime I'll look at mine and maybe even take a photo. We put wet things on the clothes line so the screen wouldn't be available to us.

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:11 pm

dbroada wrote:
If I feel like heading downstairs sometime I'll look at mine and maybe even take a photo. We put wet things on the clothes line so the screen wouldn't be available to us.

The over door hooks are permanent and stay there while we are travelling when the polystyrene shower screen is parked against the wall. Even with the clothes line across there is still enough space that bathrobe etc stay in place.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:36 pm

Quilter wrote:
dbroada wrote:

The over door hooks are permanent and stay there while we are travelling when the polystyrene shower screen is parked against the wall. Even with the clothes line across there is still enough space that bathrobe etc stay in place.
I will look into that possibility at the same time. up!

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Swingwalls Empty Swingwalls

Post by Jaime 007 Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:32 pm

We have had our two berth Nuevo II EK bought new since December 2010. When I go away wild camping I obviously use the shower and therefore the swing wall system. I have never experienced any problems whatsoever.
Jaime 007
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:04 pm

Our old Autocruise Starfire EL had a swing wall bathroom, always said the man that thought of that should be knighted! Brilliant idea but so simple. Never a problem with it either.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by gemdeco Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:08 pm

Hi
   We have a Surrey with the Swingwall being a 58 plate it must have been one of the first with this design ,We have had to have the sink replaced as it was just plain worn out quite a big job at Autosleepers and we have noticed the swingwall is cracking at the bottom so be warned as it gets older and we rarely use the shower
Regards
Alan
gemdeco
gemdeco

Male

Member Age : 73
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:18 pm

groundhog wrote:Our old Autocruise Starfire EL had a swing wall bathroom, always said the man that thought of that should be knighted! Brilliant idea but so simple. Never a problem with it either.
Autocruise were apparently the first to use the swingwall.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:19 pm

gemdeco wrote:Hi
   We have a Surrey with the Swingwall being a 58 plate it must have been one of the first with this design ,We have had to have the sink replaced as it was just plain worn out quite a big job at Autosleepers and we have noticed the swingwall is cracking at the bottom so be warned as it gets older and we rarely use the shower
Regards
Alan
That's the sort of problems I dread, thanks for the warning.!

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Swingwalls Empty Swing wall design

Post by cruisecontrol Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:35 pm

I'd agree with all the feedback on the design and use. Just one comment: the door could be improved by being a few inches lower. This might avoid the small amount of water spilling outside the shower area onto the toilet "area". The same comment applied to our earlier Autocruise . That said, we overcome the problem by placing an absorbent cloth outside the door.

An improvement over the Autocruise is the two drain holes. I've never understood why manufacturers of shower trays for caravans/motor homes  often provide just one drain hole, and frequently it's not even in the middle!
cruisecontrol
cruisecontrol

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:43 pm

I'd also warn about leaving bottles in the niche behind the swing wall. Some are not held firmly and, movement of the van or the swing wall,  can cause them to drop out and possibly crack the shower tray.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:54 pm

cruisecontrol wrote:An improvement over the Autocruise is the two drain holes. I've never understood why manufacturers of shower trays for caravans/motor homes  often provide just one drain hole, and frequently it's not even in the middle!
Three in our tray.
A trip to Specsavers perhaps??  lol4
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next