The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

know it all jobsworths!

+2
bikeralw
kaspian
6 posters

Go down

know it all jobsworths!  Empty know it all jobsworths!

Post by kaspian Tue 9 May 2017 - 20:16

We have all had the misfortune to meet one  ! The nit picking , holier than thou,  know it all  , humourless jobsworth! To start off with -  No1.   the site warden who watched for over an hour while a poor unfortunate set up his caravan and awning in semi darkness and heavy rain with hungry family who had just travelled 300 miles waiting in anticipation. On seeing the final peg hammered into the sodden ground he struts up like camp kommandant to announce ' your jockey wheel is 5 inches from the marker. A torch was used to identify the marker in the long grass and it was around 4 inches out! The question was asked why wait until now to request we move as you have been staring for the last hour and a half! The jobsworth shrugged and was tossed the caravan keys with the request to have it moved and set up by the time taken to find a restaurant and get a meal.Needless to say it remained in place on return! No wonder the site was not busy.Feel free to add you experiences.......biggrin
kaspian

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : WARWICK XL
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

know it all jobsworths!  Empty Re: know it all jobsworths!

Post by bikeralw Tue 9 May 2017 - 21:47

I've never been to a site where they have a marker, what's it's purpose?
The only run in I've had was with a site official who tried to put us on a tiny corner pitch just because our van is only 5.5 metres long. When I asked if was cheaper than the full sized pitch, he said no, all the same price, but he refused to let us go on to a bigger pitch as he expected bigger vans to arrive... Needless to say we told him where to stick his poxy pitch and went elsewhere..
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Tue 9 May 2017 - 22:13

That's why we take our main motorhome breaks in France, where you pay for your pitch and you can set up whichever way suits you to maximise sun or shade, minimise wind or whatever. And so far we haven't burned to death.

PS should the need ever arise, I have found that marker pegs are a lot quicker and easier to move than motorhomes or caravans   Whistle1

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian Tue 9 May 2017 - 22:21

Marker was 6 inch square of concrete with pitch no. on it buried in tufts of grass as it had apparently been too wet to cut! There is a pitch behind 2nd toilet block at Luss C and Cc . in a gap between trees , permanent boggy ground infested with midges. Guess where they try to put you? And- as yoj say a beautiful lochside pitch costs eh , the same .
        Roger, not with the fuhrer watching your every move! There is a gulag in Siberia filled with campers who tried that trick and failed!hugegrins
kaspian

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Tue 9 May 2017 - 22:26

Blimey! That sounds like a pick-axe job. think_smiley_46

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Tue 9 May 2017 - 22:26

Same here Roger, continent for us every time. Just that last year, hospital appointments etc forced us to take shorter breaks in the UK. Scotland was ace for vans, England less so. In fact, officialdom and the need to book most places in advance means we'll not be repeating the experience anytime soon.
Languedoc Roussillon for us in a few weeks, bring it on..
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian Tue 9 May 2017 - 22:34

rogerblack wrote:Blimey! That sounds like a pick-axe job. think_smiley_46
EXCELLENT hugegrins  hugegrins  a  pneumatic road drill would drown out the noise of those with generators though..
kaspian

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Tue 9 May 2017 - 22:43

Yes, an ACSI card and books/app, friendly welcomes, no need to book in advance or even decide how many days you want to stay when you arrive; motorhoming is so much more relaxed and informal sur le continent plus decent weather, sites with heated swimming pools etc for much less cost than basic club sites here - what's not to like?

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Tue 9 May 2017 - 23:04

rogerblack wrote:Yes, an ACSI card and books/app, friendly welcomes, no need to book in advance or even decide how many days you want to stay when you arrive; motorhoming is so much more relaxed and informal sur le continent plus decent weather, sites with heated swimming pools etc for much less cost than basic club sites here - what's not to like?
Where's the LIKE button???
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Sat 13 May 2017 - 17:06

Know it all jobsworths ... another one

Had a trailer load of rubbish to take to the tip. Son suggests instead of getting our clean car out hitch the trailer to his little Vauxhall Combo van which he uses for surf trips. Get to the tip " You can't bring that in here, no vans and trailers allowed"
Son opens the back doors and points out the bed, sink, surfboard and says " Its my every day transport, a motorhome really, are you really seriously going to make us take the trailer all the way back home, take it off this vehicle and then hitch it to a Volvo estate which is incidentally much bigger and then bring it back again when you will let us in?"

"Yes, that's the rules"... and he did!
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sat 13 May 2017 - 17:27

I think our best one was a notoriously stroppy C&CC warden who demanded to see Mrs Gromit's membership card as well as mine. I thought he was joking at first, but he wasn't at all!!

I said she hadn't got it with her, and asked him if her details were on the computer since it was a family membership. He agreed that they were, but still wanted to see the card, and that she wasn't coming in until he had seen it.

Normally I'm quite a placid 6' 4" and 15 stone pussy cat, but this got me going properly. I strolled out, reversed the van so it was completely blocking the entrance and went back into the office.

"Any suggestions for an amicable compromise?" I said, pointing to the van with it's hazards flashing away merrily, and (fortunately) a caravan unit wanting to come in.

Gracious he was definitely not, but after much muttering and crashing of furniture he said she could come in. I would have told him to stuff it (in more or less those words hugegrins ) but we were meeting friends there so I had to bite my lip.

Why do they do it?? Do they get so much satisfaction from wielding their pathetic little powers.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Sat 13 May 2017 - 18:17

Not only does our local tip, sorry Recycling Centre, not allow vans of any sort, you have to display a pass in our car to prove you are local residents or they won't let you in, full stop.

Funnily enough I've had a similar experience to yours over membership, Dave, when we arrived having forgotten to put the new cards in the 'van and Jobsworth wouldn't accept our recently run out ones, despite the computer confirming our current membership. 
My response was to smile sweetly and say "Not to worry, if you don't have the authority to approve our stay, perhaps you could get head office on the 'phone and let me speak to them, I'm sure I can get someone there to give you special permission". His face became even redder in view of the numerous chuckles from folk in the growing queue behind us in Reception but following a muttered "Well OK, I'll make an exception this time" we were in.  hugegrins

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Sat 13 May 2017 - 21:01

rogerblack wrote:Not only does our local tip, sorry Recycling Centre, not allow vans of any sort, you have to display a pass in our car to prove you are local residents or they won't let you in, full stop.

Funnily enough I've had a similar experience to yours over membership, Dave, when we arrived having forgotten to put the new cards in the 'van and Jobsworth wouldn't accept our recently run out ones, despite the computer confirming our current membership. 
My response was to smile sweetly and say "Not to worry, if you don't have the authority to approve our stay, perhaps you could get head office on the 'phone and let me speak to them, I'm sure I can get someone there to give you special permission". His face became even redder in view of the numerous chuckles from folk in the growing queue behind us in Reception but following a muttered "Well OK, I'll make an exception this time" we were in.  hugegrins

on a CMHC site recently, the new cards hadn`t been received so told the warden and sbowered her the old card, no problem at all, was the above the C&CC I wonder,?  also I phoned the day before I wanted to stay on a CMHC Cl was told to turn up anytime when I got there, no payment asked for paid after the five days I was staying no deposit asked for either, someone had rung the day after I arrived saying they were coming, never did turn up, I don`t think this is acceptable, can understands some sites asking for a deposit, I never have been asked for a deposit on CL or a CS, obviously different to the C&CC  sites where you have to stay for at least two nights if not three, not always what motor homers want to do.
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum