The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mercedes Stanton first service costs

+5
groundhog
gemdeco
Jaytee
GrahamF
Aldercow
9 posters

Go down

Mercedes Stanton first service costs Empty Mercedes Stanton first service costs

Post by Aldercow Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:05 pm

My Stanton is just a year old & has covered 5000 miles so I took it to my local Merc garage for a service. Initially the service was quoted at around £160 which seemed ok. On arrival I was informed at the first service the auto gearbox oil & filter should be changed at an additional £200+. So the first service bill was £437.
Has anybody else experienced this? It's one of those things when you think if I don't have the auto box oil etc done & it goes wrong the warranty might be invalid so you agree to have done t be on safe side.
Thanks
Andy
Aldercow
Aldercow

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : Mercedes Stanton
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Mercedes Stanton first service costs Empty Re: Mercedes Stanton first service costs

Post by GrahamF Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:13 pm

Back in 2013 when my automatic Worcester was due for its first service, the Associate Mercedes garage that I use and trust strongly recommended changing the gearbox oil as there was some history of very expensive failures if this was not done. 

Looking up my old bill I see that the oil was £92 and the filter £10 with VAT on top. Not sure what the labour charge would be as it covered the full service. But maybe if you factor in the additional overheads of a full Mercedes agent then perhaps your quote is not too far out. 

I know it is painful but a replacement box would be moreso and it is a rather nice automatic box.

Regards Graham
GrahamF
GrahamF
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Worcester
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Mercedes Stanton first service costs Empty Re: Mercedes Stanton first service costs

Post by Jaytee Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:19 pm

Ouch. But yes did need doing.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by gemdeco Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:46 am

Hi
   I have only had my Merc serviced once so far but I went on line and compared the local Mercedes dealers prices and prebooked saving some money
                                           Regards
                                                Alan
gemdeco
gemdeco

Male

Member Age : 73
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:43 am

Same as Graham, Mercedes dealer in Probus ( Truro) are first class and advised the oil change "should be done" but didn't insist it was. Had it done anyway cost total was £87 plus filter £9.44 then the dreaded vat on top.
Total bill for changing gearbox, engine, brake fluid and service was £599.93 and they fitted crosswind assist for free at the same time!

As above it is a superb gearbox!
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down

Post by padraigpost Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:09 am

I was informed by my Merc dealer that in view of the relative low mileage it was not needed until the main service, mine is a 2014 facelift model.
Don

Last edited by padraigpost on Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total
padraigpost
padraigpost

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Mercedes Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:10 am

I had my Stanton in for its only service in April 2016 at Mercedes-Benz Manchester commercial depot; I asked if the auto-box oil needed changing, as I'd read about it somewhere; Service Manager said they don't need it any more. So the cost of the service was £190. Rather an odd situation, isn't it?

Our van was built in the back end of 2014 and is the face-lift (bull-nose the Merc bloke called it) model. He did tell me that quite a bit of mechanical change came in with the face-lift, so perhaps that included the new seven-speed box? Mileage was 11288 at the time.

Pete.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Stanton.
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:00 pm

Pete Taylor wrote:I had my Stanton in for its only service in April 2016 at Mercedes-Benz Manchester commercial depot; I asked if the auto-box oil needed changing, as I'd read about it somewhere; Service Manager said they don't need it any more. So the cost of the service was £190. Rather an odd situation, isn't it?

Our van was built in the back end of 2014 and is the face-lift (bull-nose the Merc bloke called it) model. He did tell me that quite a bit of mechanical change came in with the face-lift, so perhaps that included the new seven-speed box? Mileage was 11288 at the time.
I fully concur Peter, 
My local MB Commercial confirm to me that the Gear Box is a sealed unit and the first time the oil is change is at 75,000 miles!!
Sounds like some dealers are making up the work schedule to their advantage.
The ASSYST (Active Service System) will alert you to when and what type of service is required.
The current status of your vehicle service can be checked by pushing the M button on the instrument cluster until it shows the "spanner" sign along with the remaining distance in Km's or days. 
Mine is currently showing 2 Spanners (B service) which will be due in 30K or 2 years from the last service - which ever you reach first.
Liam
Liam
Liam
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:41 pm

Looks like this only applies to the old model then, the update in 2014 was a lot more than a facelift, completely different gearbox being just one thing, old version has a five speed auto.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:10 pm

My 2011 MB service schedule shows gearbox oil change at first full maintenance service (B) then @ 120,00km.

In USA service booklet for current model (can't find UK version), still shows the same. It is under Additional Work of the Schedule of work for Oil change plus/maintenance service.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Mercedes Stanton first service costs Empty Merc service

Post by Aldercow Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:36 pm

Thanks everyone for the replies. It seems like most things depending on what dealer you ask depends on the answer. My van although first registered in 2016 was made by AS late 2014. However it is the facelift model with seven speed automatic & I have only covered 5000 miles in first year. Anyway it's done now so if anything goes wrong with auto box they can't say it's my fault for not having oil & filter changed.
Aldercow
Aldercow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Aldercow Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:39 pm

Also forgot to say they said auto box oil & filter change at first service then not for another 75k miles.
Aldercow
Aldercow

Male

Back to top Go down