The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Specific Model of Engine in 2014 Bourton?

5 posters

Go down

Specific Model of Engine in 2014 Bourton? Empty Specific Model of Engine in 2014 Bourton?

Post by yeager1 Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:19 pm

Can someone please tell me what Mercedes specific model of engine is in a (May) 2014 registered Autosleeper Bourton. I understand that this particular coachbuilt is based on a Mercedes Sprinter 316 CDi. This motorhome comes with the 7G Automatic gearbox. I am trying to check if this specific run of Engine and Gearbox has any inherent technical problems. I appreciate any help. Many thanks in advance.
yeager1
yeager1

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

Specific Model of Engine in 2014 Bourton? Empty Re: Specific Model of Engine in 2014 Bourton?

Post by Liam Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:32 pm

Hi yeager1 and welcome to the forum. 
The short answer is you cannot tell the actual build spec from the date the vehicle was registered with DVLA - as AS may very well have had the chassis in stock for some time. 
For example, my Malvern (Mercedes based) was delivered ex AS to me on the 1st June 2014 but was actually produced off the MB production line in mid December 2013! So our vehicles could be sister ships!!
There are 2 ways to establish the actual build of your base vehicle but you will need the vehicle vin number in both cases;- 
1. Go to your local Commercial MB dealer and with the vehicle vin number they should (if they are the friendly type) be able to provide you with chapter and verse - however they are sometimes reluctant to provide a full printout.
The 2nd way is to use the internet - search sites (I can't find them at the moment but I guess one of the forum members will lets us know!) have been previously identified on this forum - just feed your vin. number in and it will give you your vehicle build details. It will require some interpretation in which case a visit to MB and getting to know your local dealer might be a better bet.
If your vehicle is the same build as mine - I can report that so far I have had no issues with either the G/box or engine, nor have I seen any adverse reports  - fingers crossed.
Hope this helps,
Liam
Liam
Liam
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Specific Model of Engine in 2014 Bourton? Empty Re: Specific Model of Engine in 2014 Bourton?

Post by PLOUGHLIN Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:53 pm

As Liam said, put the VIN into this, will tell you build information including engine type, number will start 651 if OM651 type.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Check for DVSA recalls here. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by yeager1 Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:04 pm

I big thank you!!!!! To both Liam and Peter L. That is fantastic guys I will do as you have suggested and get back asap. As my first experience of posting a question on any forum - I have to say - It is an invaluable source of knowledge and experience!!!! Many thanks again!!!

George
yeager1
yeager1

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by yeager1 Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:16 pm

Hi Liam, I appreciate your help I feel more assured knowing that you have had no problems with your AS Malvern. I will contact my local MB with VIN. and see what they say. Thanks again.!!!!

George
yeager1
yeager1

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:17 pm

George,
Glad we could be of assistance.
Whilst I think of it, there was an issue (I have included the forum thread ink below for easy reference) with the central locking around the time your van was produced and a mod was produced and fitted free by Auto Sleepers. So, it might be worth checking that the appropriate mod has been fitted to your vehicle. A phone call to the AS service center at Willersey (01386 853511) quoting the van build number and they should give you the answer.

https://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com/t11465-mercedes-based-central-locking-problem?highlight=sprinter+locking

Liam
Liam
Liam
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by yeager1 Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:29 pm

Hi Peter L, I checked out that carinfo' website - Excellent!!! The engine is confirmed as the OM651. It is just that I have read that certain of these engines have had problems with : Fuel injectors, Single row Timing chain and Oil Leak from Timing chain cover 'O' ring seal. I really appreciate all your help.

George
yeager1
yeager1

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by yeager1 Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:35 pm

Hi Liam, Thanks again for the information regarding the central locking mechanism. I will check that out and get back to you. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!!

George
yeager1
yeager1

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:10 pm

yeager1 wrote: Oil Leak from Timing chain cover 'O' ring seal. I really appreciate all your help.

George
George,
I do remember that there was a recall for the replacement the Timing chain cover "O" ring seal but I believe it only affected MB chassis built later than mine (Dec 2013). But once again your MB Commercial Dealer should be able to set your mind at rest.
Liam
Liam
Liam
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:16 am

yeager1 wrote:Hi Peter L, I checked out that carinfo' website - Excellent!!! The engine is confirmed as the OM651. It is just that I have read that certain of these engines have had problems with : Fuel injectors, Single row Timing chain and Oil Leak from Timing chain cover 'O' ring seal. I really appreciate all your help.

George

My 2011 OM651 had the Fuel injectors fail catastrophically on the M6 near Penrith at 3 years 2 month!  Mercedes replaced them at no cost without being asked but the hours in the snow on the hard shoulder of the M6 on 30th December, the transportation back home to hard packed frozen snow at 2300 hrs and missing New Year in Scotland can never be compensated for.

I've been having problems with brakes for the last year but that's down to lack of attention by the main MB commercial dealer in Stoke who USED TO service the van!  Hopefully all sorted now by a combination of German recovery mechanics and my garage next door.

An acquaintance had the oil leak from the 'O' seal ring, they didn't do a recall but would replace if it failed in warranty.

We've not missed a nights camping with a habitation fault but have had to be recovered twice with Mercedes faults - they are not as reliable as their reputation suggest but they are very good at placating customers who've suffered.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by yeager1 Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:31 pm

Hi Liam, Thanks to you -  I managed to find out that the central locking modification had been carried out. I really appreciate your info' re Timing chain cover 'O' ring seal, it has reassured me.
yeager1
yeager1

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by yeager1 Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:58 pm

Peter#1, I am sorry you missed spending New Year in Scotland, but I am glad that you are able to confirm that there has been an OM651 engine with problems with fuel injectors as I have read. The problem has been labelled "The Black Death". The specific time interval you quote - I will bear in mind, do you know at what mileage that your injectors failed and was the failure related to the sealing washers? As other members have said I will enquire about the various issues that have been brought to light but everyone has helped to reassure me and I thank everyone for all the help and advice - it is great to be able to draw on the experience of others. Many thanks again to everyone!!!!!
yeager1
yeager1

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:36 pm

The mileage was 18,500 but I don't know the nature of the fault. The first sign was masses of white smoke from the exhaust and then the engine sounding like a bag of nails had been thrown in.

The recovery guys who were no mugs could not diagnose it in detail, it had to got to Mercedes.

Don't forget this was a 2011 model so problem should have been sorted for 2014.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by yeager1 Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:50 pm

Peter#1, Thanks for getting back Peter - that's a low mileage for Injectors having to be replaced. I really appreciate your help. Hopefully MB have now sorted any issues with the injectors.

George
yeager1
yeager1

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:55 pm

I had a recall on the "O" ring, M-B build date July 2014, A-S build Dec 2014, it took about 15 minutes at M-B Commercial and was done along with service; they (DVLA) had written to me about it. Nothing other than that.

Pete.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Stanton.
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Specific Model of Engine in 2014 Bourton? Empty Recall on "O" Ring

Post by yeager1 Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:14 pm

Pete Taylor wrote:I had a recall on the "O" ring, M-B build date July 2014, A-S build Dec 2014, it took about 15 minutes at M-B Commercial and was done along with service; they (DVLA) had written to me about it. Nothing other than that.
Hi Pete, Do you mind if I ask which "O" ring, did you have a recall for? I appreciate your help.

Regards,
George
yeager1
yeager1

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:39 pm

That is probably the Chain Tensioner sealing ring. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Recalls from 2010 [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Specific Model of Engine in 2014 Bourton? Empty Recall on "O" Ring

Post by yeager1 Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:02 pm

PeterL, Many thanks for your help.

George