The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Captain seats in early coachbuilt mhs

+4
Paulmold
chrisvesey
-mojo-
DrifterDen
8 posters

Go down

Captain seats in early coachbuilt mhs Empty Captain seats in early coachbuilt mhs

Post by DrifterDen Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:20 am

Hello everyone, Den here. I spent yonks looking for info on this site yesterday - didn't realise how many models there were. Soon sussed there is a huge amount of experience to be accessed from a bunch of real friendly people[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.], so... 

I am looking for a small (not much dosh) older motorhome with captain s/eats. My pal has a cute little Talbot Talisman GL but I'd prefer a better base vehicle - VW, FORD, BOXER ??? Sorry if this posts to the wrong area but must admit the exercise could be easier mebbe a link for newbies where they can click and go - ok probably being dumb here...

Cheers Den

PS Is there a for sale section in the forum?
DrifterDen
DrifterDen

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

Captain seats in early coachbuilt mhs Empty Re: Captain seats in early coachbuilt mhs

Post by -mojo- Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:28 am

DrifterDen wrote:
I am looking for a small (not much dosh) older motorhome with captain s/eats.

If seat comfort is critical to you, I'd strongly recommend that you go to one of the bigger dealers and try sitting in the driver's seat of as many different motorhome base vehicles as you can, They vary hugely in shape/size (as do we) so one person's massively comfortable "armchair" will be another person's idea of an instrument of torture. You won't know how it suits you until you sit in it, generally.

For me, the best captain's chairs are the ones fitted from the factory on the VW T4 and T5, but they may not work for you.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Captain seats in early coachbuilt mhs Empty Re: Captain seats in early coachbuilt mhs

Post by chrisvesey Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:44 am

Hi,
The best van seats I ever experienced were fitted to the old "smiley face" ford transit, the drivers seat had two adjustable armrests lots of height adjustment and a lumbar cushion inflated with a rubber bulb hand pump, after a back breaking job it was bliss to sit in, unfortunately this was 20 years ago, later ones were not as nice,
Chris
chrisvesey
chrisvesey
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : sold it
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:47 am

For sale section can be found on home page, scroll down to last section.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:56 am

Hi Den
Welcome to the forum from Bridlington
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by DrifterDen Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:00 am

Thanks for the advice mojo. 

Comfort isn't the main issue more the fact that I want to have the front seats facing the others for music sessions with pals. Pretty sure my mates AS front seats face either way - but mebbe they don't swivel. 
The VW as base vehicle makes sense and I believe cruise control (love it!) can be easily fitted retrospectively. However I'd want the monocoque coachbuilt version to lessen the bodywork issues. Cheers Den
DrifterDen
DrifterDen

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:51 am

Unfortunately swivelling isn't an easy one either. It's an option on some, standard on some and can optionally be deleted on others! My last A/S was a Flair on a Mk5 Transit which had (for me) really comfortable seats, and by default these are swiveling from the factory, but the first owner had specified non-swiveling for the driver's seat! I think this was because on that age of Transit (and on the current generation of VW Transporter) if you opt for factory swivels you don't get height adjust.

You will also find if you search for other threads that swiveling the driver's seat can be a bit of a rigmarole on some vehicles, requiring many steps such as moving the steering wheel, opening the door, changing the angle of the back, etc.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by DrifterDen Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:02 pm

-mojo- wrote: swiveling the driver's seat can be a bit of a rigmarole on some vehicles, requiring many steps such as moving  the steering wheel, opening the door, changing  the angle of the back, etc.

Thanks again Mojo - and the other responses too of course...

hassle is no problem confused3 - if the gathering warranted it... 

any models you can suggest under £15K?

Den
DrifterDen
DrifterDen

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:36 pm

Vw based Clubman should be plentiful under £15k.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:00 pm

Welcome to the forum.

I think the best advice you've had so far is to go and play in as many vans as you can find. It's very true that personal preferences differ a great deal, and the most well meaning advice and suggestions from our members could prove disastrous for you.

Going to the shows would be no good for you as they don't often have older vans. A tour of the dealers is the obvious suggestion, and most would allow you to have a good snoop around any van that took your fancy - notebook in hand to fill in the three essential categories.
1). Must have.
2). Would quite like this, but not a deal breaker.
3). Not at any price!

Have you thought of dropping in on a few caravan sites? Most motorhomers are very willing to chat about their vans, and there is usually a wide range of vans on site in the busier periods.

Good hunting.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Trophyman Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:03 am

Hi Den....I had the same idea with my first ever camper and ended up getting a lovely 1995 VW Trophy, petrol automatic. I took all the seats out of the back, put in a new floor and re-did all the ribbed trim, to make it look much nicer. I then bought two captains chairs off Ebay, both with armrests and in great condition to fit in the back, so I could have four travelling seats, all with strong three point inertia seat belts. So, I can offer some advice on how all this worked. Also, as it happens, I am now selling my Trophy, having reverted it back to the original Autosleeper spec in the back. I love the camper to bits but just want to now get something slightly larger. So, hey, if you are looking for a really good quality camper with the option of captains chairs in the back maybe you might be interested? Asking price is £12,495 and you can see full details here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Ignore the mobile number in the ad....I am trying to get an older phone working and can't remember the right number yet!

Kind regards
Chris
Trophyman
Trophyman

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : VW Trophy
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by Trophyman Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:04 am

Sorry, forgot to say that in fact my Trophy has really comfortable captains chairs in the front, one swivelling.
Trophyman
Trophyman

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : VW Trophy
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:32 am

DrifterDen wrote:Hello everyone, Den here. I spent yonks looking for info on this site yesterday - didn't realise how many models there were. Soon sussed there is a huge amount of experience to be accessed from a bunch of real friendly people[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.], so... 

I am looking for a small (not much dosh) older motorhome with captain s/eats. My pal has a cute little Talbot Talisman GL but I'd prefer a better base vehicle - VW, FORD, BOXER ??? Sorry if this posts to the wrong area but must admit the exercise could be easier mebbe a link for newbies where they can click and go - ok probably being dumb here...

Cheers Den

PS Is there a for sale section in the forum?

My first motorhome was a VW Topaz. had captain seats and swivelled, changed for more room , to an Anniversary Clubman, same as a Gatcombe, this didn`t have the captain seats so I bought two off eBay, VW ones and fitted those,I  fitted a swivel lower base seat to the passenger seat, ( enabled the  the passenger seat to be the same height as the drivers seat )  but didn`t really work for me, so took it out, the Clubman is a good van, older ones are available, earlier ones are a bit shorter in length.
Hope you find what you are looking for.

Can recommend the VW T4, I personally wouldn`t consider any other base vehicle, reliable, economical, brilliant to drive and very comfortable, literally armchair driving.
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down