The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roof Braces On Coachbuilts

+2
burfy1
CC
6 posters

Go down

Roof Braces On Coachbuilts Empty Roof Braces On Coachbuilts

Post by CC Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:08 am

Can anyone explain why some Coachbuilt's have roof braces fitted and others don't? On our roof there are the mountings 3 down each side (each corner & centers) and I've seen pics of these fitted on other Nuevo's

Why would some have these and not others? I would think anything that can make a coachbuilt stronger or more rigid would be a good thing and would tie everything together, or are these only fitted later on in the event of problems should the need arise?

CC

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Roof Braces On Coachbuilts Empty Re: Roof Braces On Coachbuilts

Post by burfy1 Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:28 am

Hi Cruizing Comet,

Ours have these as well. I think they are there if you want to fit a roof rack and ladder.
Autosleepers have had the foresight to add the strengthened mounting pads and fittings so that they don't have to drill into the roof.
(Obviously, you would need to fit the Autosleepers approved roofrack which tie up with the mounting points).

All the best,
Paul
burfy1
burfy1

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Roof Braces On Coachbuilts Empty roof braces

Post by murph Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:33 am

Hi CC,
Not sure what you mean, are you quite sure that the bars you are refering to are not tie downs for luggage onthe roof, ours hasn't got anything like that. I see now that Paul has a similar idea.

Brian

murph
murph

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire EK,ES.

Back to top Go down

Post by Johno Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:16 am

Hi CC

My Eton has similar mountings on the roof in the form of a short threaded stud with a domed nut tightened to it, I am informed that Autosleepers sell roof bars that match the stud centres so fitting is just a matter of bolting the bars down using the existing studs and nuts.
The bars would be ideal for solar panel or roof box but if used for the latter a ladder would be advisable I guess, on the Eton the lowest step is already moulded in the GRP rear panel.
I'm considering fitting a solar panel and will possibly use the AS roof bars to save fixing directly to the roof thereby not having to make screw holes in the roof which would be another potential source of water ingress or having to rely only on Sikaflex keeping the mounting brackets secure.

Cheers John
Johno
Johno
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Eton
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:27 am

Ahhhh... I did wonder if they were roof bars, makes sense now! the pics I saw showed white bars and they just looked like braces to me hugegrins
How on earth would anyone get up there to tie stuff on the roof? I've been up on our roof twice and I was relieved on both occasions to be back down on terra firma hugegrins

CC

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Johno Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:09 pm

Although I'm used to working at height I always get onto the roof of the MH with trepidation, there's so much expensive kit up there to damage like putting a foot through a sky light or tripping over the TV aerial etc. so_sad
And it's strange isn't it how much higher it seems from the roof than it did from the ground. think_smiley_46

John.
Johno
Johno
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:19 pm

Very true Johno...

Scared the heck out of me hugegrins At least if Autosleeper provide roof bars that's a pretty good indication that they see the roof as strong enough to go up onto? When I first went up on ours I really wasn't sure if I should be up there or not, tip toeing around like a ballerina (not the lightest of people) we don't have a fixed rear ladder so had to use a free standing ladder with some padding around the top to prevent damage to the body, getting on that first rung I'm sure I got a waft of something in the air on the way down lol4

CC

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Johno Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:55 pm

The transition from ladder to roof and from roof to ladder is the most precarious part of the manouver, I well remember balancing with one foot on the MH roof and the other on the top platform of a wobbling step ladder uncertain thinking to myself A&E here I come.
Happily I made it safely to the ground with nothing worse than a bit of extra flatulence. big thumbs up

John.
Johno
Johno
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by dandywarhol Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:28 pm

From memory I'm sure the Clubman manual states the max on the roof is 250kg - I'll be back home on monday and recheck - it seemed high to me but if its right then they are a strong ol' tub

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Clubman Anniversa
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Roof Braces On Coachbuilts Empty Roof braces on coachbuilts

Post by burlingtonboaby Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:32 pm

Hi Mr C.C
I don't have the braces fitted to my van, however i do have the rear ladders. We have wind surfers and sea Kayakers over on the coast all year round, I have spoken to a few young lads who have their equipment strapped to the braces on the roofs, one was a Nuevo classic, the other a Nuevo 2 EK.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down