The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UK Christmas Markets

+11
Dave 418
NORGIL
Traficlady
logburner
Greyhound
groundhog
harrysp
roli
TravelKat
Paulmold
dbroada
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

UK Christmas Markets - Page 2 Empty Re: UK Christmas Markets

Post by Kingham Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:58 pm

For anyone visiting Bishop Auckland, County Durham this weekend 

http://www.aucklandcastle.org/events/christmas-food-craft-market/

I came across it by accident while walking the dog in Auckland Castle park this afternoon and fortunately didn't have any cash on me as the smells from some of the food stalls were lovely.

The main stalls seemed to be within a massive marquee, where dogs weren't allowed, so I'm not able to comment on the products or quality. 

It's a lovely setting made even nicer by this afternoon's sun......

UK Christmas Markets - Page 2 Image11

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:54 pm

Thinking of visiting Bath Christmas market with the motorhome. The marina campsite looks pretty full, probably with the market stall holders, suggest you check availability
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by landyman Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:03 pm

Redwink wrote:Thinking of visiting Bath Christmas market with the motorhome. The marina campsite looks pretty full, probably with the market stall holders, suggest you check availability

We have booked next Monday and Tuesday nights at the marina campsite. It is not so busy on weekdays. Most people visit at the weekends.
landyman
landyman

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:31 pm

Just as well your not pitched tonight, Wessex water plan to work through the night by the campsite
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Heanorboy Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:41 pm

Not taking the van but going to have a look at Worcester Victorian Christmas Fayre
only on for this coming weekend hoping it will be a bit more festive than the "Big City" ones that go on for s few weeks
Anybody been?
David

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Ex 2012 Dorset W
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by rose49f Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:52 pm

Heanorboy wrote:Not taking the van but going to have a look at Worcester Victorian Christmas Fayre
only on for this coming weekend hoping it will be a bit more festive than the "Big City" ones that go on for s few weeks
Anybody been?
David
http://www.christmasinworcester.com/
This might interest you if you're coming to Worcester. I've only been once but it has got very big since I went. Enjoy yourselves. allthumbz
rose49f
rose49f
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Heanorboy Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:44 pm

Thanks for that, son lives in Wombourne but may be looking to move to Worcester shortly so meeting up with them in Worcester with  our 2 year old grandson thanks

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Heanorboy Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:32 pm

Had a good day at Worcester today well worth the visit if you fancy a Christmas Market this weekend.
David

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:46 am

Went to Llandudno one last weekend. About 50 outdoor stalls , all food or drink except for 3 and two large marquees housing the rest but they wanted £2 each to enter. I object to paying when the stallholders have already paid for their pitch. Looking through the entrance you could see more food stalls so we didn't bother added to the fact you had to queue to get in for about 15 mins in bitter cold wind.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by logburner Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:03 pm

Yes !! I'm afraid the money grabbing people, who hire out the pitches, kill it every time, with their ridiculous additional entrance fee..........greedy, stupid, twits. shrugg
Some people can't help themselves....grab, grab, grab...........
logburner
logburner
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman
Vehicle Year : 1993

Back to top Go down

Post by Heanorboy Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:09 pm

logburner wrote:Yes !! I'm afraid the money grabbing people, who hire out the pitches, kill it every time, with their ridiculous additional entrance fee..........greedy, stupid, twits.   shrugg  
Some people can't help themselves....grab, grab, grab...........
must say that we did not find this at Worcester almost all the stalls were in the streets the funfair prices were less than you have to pay at Weston super mud in the summer, coffee prices around £2.00 and we didnt have to pay any fees to go into the halls etc
David

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:06 pm

NORGIL wrote:The Birmingham markets last year had quite a few stalls. from my perspective mostly selling tat, but the reason we won't be going this year is the number of stalls selling alcohol of various types. On the day we went, by early afternoon there were several groups who were obviously the worse for wear and somewhat raucous which made the atmosphere feel quite unpleasant.

norgil

We have just got back from a few days in Birmingham. We stayed in a city centre hotel very close to the market. This market is the biggest we have been to in the UK and does compare well in "feel" to many of the German ones. Most of the "craft" stalls now sell cheaper versions of what we used to see which implies to me that they have moved from low volume, possibly hand made to mass produced products. I would say there was about 50/50 split between food & drink to craft and we enjoyed our visit.

HOWEVER, Birmingham city is very noisy with apparently a strong drinking mob culture. Our hotel was in the Wetherspoons chain (I didn't know they did hotels) which itself had crowds of loud people below our bedroom window, fortunately 5 floors below, well past midnight. The crowds in the market also got noticeably larger and drunker as the evening went on. While it wasn't so bad that we felt threatened I wasn't upset that we had seen enough to go back to the hotel early evening.

UK Christmas Markets - Page 2 Img_3711
UK Christmas Markets - Page 2 Img_3710
UK Christmas Markets - Page 2 Img_3713
UK Christmas Markets - Page 2 Img_3712

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK (Stolen)
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:18 pm

Birmingham next Sat & Sun in a hotel! & travel by train with our 2 together card
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:30 pm

roli wrote:Birmingham next Sat & Sun in a hotel! & travel by train with our 2 together card
We used our oldies London travel cards and our oldies National rail cards for a fare of £3.60 each way for each of us from South London. Certainly worth booking train tickets in advance.

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK (Stolen)

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2