The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fitting inspection hatch 2 water tank base?

+8
Peterm
PLOUGHLIN
groundhog
Gromit
Peter Brown
raymondo
Johno
FoweyBoy2
12 posters

Go down

Fitting inspection hatch 2 water tank base?  Empty Fitting inspection hatch 2 water tank base?

Post by FoweyBoy2 Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:13 pm

Has anyone sourced a water tight inspection hatch that can be fitted to the underside of a plastic water tank? I need to access the locking nut on the inside to stop the water outlet fitting leaking. It would also give me the opportunity to clean the freshwater tank. There are some that are suitable for the top of a tank, but not the bottom. I don't want to have to drop the tank on my Nuevo to access the top. The only one I have found that might be suitable is
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
FoweyBoy2
FoweyBoy2

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Fitting inspection hatch 2 water tank base?  Empty Re: Fitting inspection hatch 2 water tank base?

Post by Johno Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:31 pm

Hi Foweyboy

CAK Tanks have a good range of tanks and accessories might be worth trying, good luck in your search.

Cheers John up!
Johno
Johno
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Eton
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Fitting inspection hatch 2 water tank base?  Empty Re: Fitting inspection hatch 2 water tank base?

Post by raymondo Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:34 pm

my fresh water tank already has a great big screw off "lid" on the bottom I wonder which is more usual to have or to have not?

BTW I have never dared unscrew it for fear it wont seal again
raymondo
raymondo

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : nuevo ek

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:46 pm

They are only ever fitted as an accessory (sometimes at the factory) so most tanks don't have them. CAK tanks are the supplier.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:04 pm

Peter Brown wrote:They are only ever fitted as an accessory (sometimes at the factory) so most tanks don't have them.
Regrettably!

It seems such an obvious advantage when wanting access to whatever is inside the tank - be it for cleaning out the dirt or replacing failing submersible pumps.

With the help of some Sikaflex it can't be that difficult for a handy owner to fit one. I've considered it several times, but have never done it - yet! I believe the one Foweyboy has found was very similar to those fitted by A/S on some vans.

There are several variants on Pages 20-21 of CAK Tanks' downloadable catalogue. No 3 looks like the one he needs.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by raymondo Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:26 pm

They are only ever fitted as an accessory (sometimes at the factory)

Whooo Hoo! Ive got an accessory -  damn I shall have to tell the insurance company now!

But seriously doesnt it just make sense to have a hatch?
raymondo
raymondo

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : nuevo ek

Back to top Go down

Post by FoweyBoy2 Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:59 pm

Gromit wrote:

There are several variants on Pages 20-21 of CAK Tanks' downloadable catalogue. No 3 looks like the one he needs.

I tried emailing CAK asking about inspection hatches suitable for the bottom of a tank, but no response. The ones in their catalogue seem to be caps that screw onto a fitting they fit on their tanks when bought from them. I could not find the appropriate fitting to go with the caps they show. The number 3 looks the same as I found (see link in my OP). I will try another email!
FoweyBoy2
FoweyBoy2

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:38 pm

They are not good at emails.

An old fashioned company, but all the better for that. I would suggest a phone call. I've always found them very helpful and accommodating.

I might be wrong about their No 3 hatch, but I'm almost sure it has a threaded flange that is secured to the bottom of the tank (outside) with 10 deep cut s/s screws and a smear of Sikaflex. It's worth roughening the areas where the Sikaflex is smeared, but once cured it will be permanent.

Don't do the screws up ultra tight - the Sikaflex forms the watertight seal, and if you squeeze it all out it will be less likely to seal completely.

After 24 hours, or 48 to be really sure in the colder weather, you couldn't get the Sikaflex off without a cheese wire.

Hope this helps
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:49 pm

Yes we have fitted a hatch to the side of our tank but it could equally be fitted in the bottom. Have recommended doing it on here many times. Change the pump instantly, no more problems with the gauges, do it!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] are the people you want. You need the TCL4 hatch, doddle to fit.

Last edited by groundhog on Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:55 pm

groundhog wrote:Yes we have fitted a hatch to the side of our tank but it could equally be fitted in the bottom. Have recommended doing it on here many times. Change the pump instantly, no more problems with the gauges, do it!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] are the people you want.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Peterm Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:56 pm

I have a leak in my tank somewhere near the top. An inspection hatch would be great.
I had a look at the Henderson catalogue.
Groundhog, could you tell me please if the tank has to be removed to fit the internal flange of the circular £30 hatch, or can it be fitted without removing the tank, please?

Thanks

Peterm
Peterm
Peterm
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by FoweyBoy2 Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:16 pm

It looks like the Henderson TCS is the one to go for. Thanks for the helpful responses.
FoweyBoy2
FoweyBoy2

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:50 pm

I didn't fit it myself, Marquis Plymouth did it for me when my water pump failed. It was quicker and easier for them to fit the hatch than drop the tank to replace the pump so the answer would appear to be no, you do not have to drop the tank! It seemed like the job was done in a few minutes! If I were to be doing it myself I would just mark the hole and cut it with a dremel or similar - mine is in the side by the way.

That is exactly the one we have and after four years no issues at all. up!
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:39 pm

Does seem odd that it's accessory fitting. Foweyboys Nuevo is a 2005, mines a 2006 and I've got one.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by FoweyBoy2 Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:06 pm

Paulmold wrote:Does seem odd that it's accessory fitting. Foweyboys Nuevo is a 2005, mines a 2006 and I've got one.
I have one in the top of the tank, but don't want to try and drop the tank to get to it, hence the idea of the hatch in the side or bottom.
FoweyBoy2
FoweyBoy2

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunbeampizza Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:05 pm

Raymondo, your reluctance to unscrew the large plastic screw cap on the bottom of the fresh water tank could be justified. My broadway has one which leaked so I took it off to check it. But when I
put it back it leaked even more to the extent that after several attempts I had to smother it with mastic. It worked but it's not an ideal solution.
Sunbeampizza
Sunbeampizza

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by FoweyBoy2 Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:25 pm

FoweyBoy2 wrote:
Paulmold wrote:Does seem odd that it's accessory fitting. Foweyboys Nuevo is a 2005, mines a 2006 and I've got one.
I have one in the top of the tank, but don't want to try and drop the tank to get to it, hence the idea of the hatch in the side or bottom.
Oh dear confused3  Apologies all round. I must have had a senior moment scratch head
When I had a look at my freshwater tank it has a screw on hatch at the bottom. From memory (obviously poor) I thought it was at the top!
I took the hatch cap off with a "boa constrictor" tool. to my surprise the cap was clean on the inside, yet it is the lowest point in the 11 year old tank. I sorted the tank drain outlet and screwed the hatch back on with the "boa constrictor" and (touch wood) no leaks so far content
If I did need to fit an access hatch then the Henderson Watertight Inspection Hatch TCL4 would be the first choice. Hopefully when someone has to fit an inspection hatch they will find this post useful, despite my senior moment hugegrins
FoweyBoy2
FoweyBoy2

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by malc45 Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:11 pm

When i thought of fitting a hatch in my water tank i spoke to a person on the C.A.K tanks stand at the N.E.C. two years ago and they said it should not be 
fitted in the sides or the bottom of the tank which changed my mind. This would mean removing the tank to fit the hatch which defeated the point of 
having one. The reason they gave was it would not be water tight. May be they had got it wrong but at the time stopped me doing it.
Malc45
malc45
malc45
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : symbol
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:03 pm

I have to disagree with them. Our Worcester is seven years old and the henderson hatch was fitted when new in the side of the tank, it has never leaked a drop. We had one on in the bottom of the tank on a previous van for six years and same result. Marquis fitted ours at their suggestion as it was easier to fit a hatch than drop the tank to change the pump. I wouldn't hesitate to fit one.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:02 am

groundhog wrote:I have to disagree with them. Our Worcester is seven years old and the henderson hatch was fitted when new in the side of the tank, it has never leaked a drop. We had one on in the bottom of the tank on a previous van for six years and same result. Marquis fitted ours at their suggestion as it was easier to fit a hatch than drop the tank to change the pump. I wouldn't hesitate to fit one.

Thanks for that info groundhog.
In my recent post (about fitting a Sureflo pump) I had decided that fitting a hatch was the way forward. Unfortunately the only convenient space is on the bottom.
Anyone know of a smaller hatch than the Henderson which may allow fitting on the side of my tank?
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down