The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Awning 'Carpets'

+5
Betty's Mum
daisy mae
Kingham
burlingtonboaby
AndyLouch
9 posters

Go down

Awning 'Carpets' Empty Awning 'Carpets'

Post by AndyLouch Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:42 pm

Hi, during recent trip we used a small (1m x 1m) plastic sheet to reduce the possibility of walking mud etc. into the MH. However, we reckon we need something bigger and have looked at 'awning carpets' on the Interweb. Does anyone have any advice/ideas as there seems to be a lot of such on the net and prices vary from about £20 to over £100 (which seems ridiculous!) Ideas gratefully received. Cheers Andy
AndyLouch
AndyLouch
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Awning 'Carpets' Empty Re: Awning 'Carpets'

Post by burlingtonboaby Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:04 pm

Hi Andy
Maybe not what your looking for, however we purchase carpet offcuts or samples from local carpet shops.
When on tour there are plenty of carpet shops in many of the retail parks around the country .
Very cheap and easy to clean.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingham Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:41 am

AndyLouch wrote:Hi, during recent trip we used a small (1m x 1m) plastic sheet to reduce the possibility of walking mud etc. into the MH. However, we reckon we need something bigger and have looked at 'awning carpets' on the Interweb. Does anyone have any advice/ideas as there seems to be a lot of such on the net and prices vary from about £20 to over £100 (which seems ridiculous!) Ideas gratefully received. Cheers Andy

After many years of caravanning and motorhoming with the family, the awning was always my space, especially on an evening when the girls would retire in to the van due to temperature or insects and as a result, I've always used an awning floor covering for comfort.

Until fairly recently I used an open weave type that allowed grass to breath and would reduce the yellowing effect if staying on one site for a while. I would still tend to lift it when possible to stop the grass dying off. 
The same flooring would get used on hard standing pitches too, but more so for comfort, especially when barefoot.

When the kids stopped coming away, we would tour more, with shorter stays on each site and therefore wouldn't have such a detrimental effect on the grass, so I ended up with a lighter weight, but better quality Isabella Bolon flooring mat. This one wasn't cheap, but far more luxurious underfoot than what we were used to, so for me worth every penny.

Ken.
Kingham
Kingham
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:54 am

I bought an awning carpet from  Malvern  motorhome show last year, £20, was on hard standing there, gravel/earth,  it is fine, and works well, have bought the Fiamma awning carpet bag to keep it in, in windy weather didn`t lift, and it wasn`t pegged down. Had it on grass this year at Malvern, so is ok on all surfaces.

Ordinary carpets will get damp, even from the dew.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Betty's Mum Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:01 am

Having come up through the ranks with four kids and dogs, for many years I have utilised bathmats just inside doorways (and even under the portapotti in my 'tin tent').  They are designed to absorb water and are an ideal landing spot while removing shoes/boots before stepping onto floor coverings.  They can be dried off and shaken out for a quick spruce while away and when you return home, are easily put into the washing machine unlike your fitted m/h carpet!
Betty's Mum
Betty's Mum

Female

Member Age : 60
Auto-Sleeper : VW T4 Trophy
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyLouch Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:08 am

All, thanks for help, much apprecieted. Will track down something similar. Enjoy the sunshine! Andy
AndyLouch
AndyLouch
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:17 pm

ANDY.....have sent a PM.

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:27 pm

Hi Andy, not sure what size carpet you are looking for but we recently acquired Oltex Breathable 2.5 x 4 metres from Argos with free delivery as not available direct from high street. Price just £27.99 and still available. Ideal for use on hard standing as comfortable on bare feet. Washable and rotproof and supplied in carry bag. Regards

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyLouch Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:59 am

Good day PB and ParaM, Thanks for info, will check these out. Andy
AndyLouch
AndyLouch
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Traficlady Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:03 am

Betty's Mum wrote:Having come up through the ranks with four kids and dogs, for many years I have utilised bathmats just inside doorways (and even under the portapotti in my 'tin tent').  They are designed to absorb water and are an ideal landing spot while removing shoes/boots before stepping onto floor coverings.  They can be dried off and shaken out for a quick spruce while away and when you return home, are easily put into the washing machine unlike your fitted m/h carpet!
A friend of mine uses puppy training pads (cheap as chips from B&M) just inside the door of her van to absorb moisture off shoes.

Nora

Female

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:56 pm

Has anyone first hand experience of the oltex carpets? We have a seriously old but immaculate carpet which and I am not sure it is breathable. It weighs in at 4.7kgs for a 2.5m x 4.5m size but the oltex is only 2.5kgs for the same size which makes me think it would be more like a tarpaulin than a carpet?
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:29 am

Hi groundhog, my earlier post promotes the oltex carpet for reasons of comfort and durability. Far from being a tarpaulin it is a lightweight woven polyester fabric hence the tiny holes that make it breathable. Regards

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:03 pm

Thanks Paramedic appreciate the first hand advice, I think I will be looking to get one of those then! up!
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:08 pm

Yes groundhog, currently Amazon are selling oltex 2.5 x 4 metre size for only £23.21 including free delivery and that's £5 less than we paid from Argos! As you require the 2.5 x 4.5 metre size, hopefully can expect to pay say £29.99? Regards

Male

Back to top Go down