The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Co-pilot Caravan - anyone used it?

3 posters

Go down

Co-pilot Caravan - anyone used it? Empty Co-pilot Caravan - anyone used it?

Post by Greyhound Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:55 am

Just noticed Co-Pilot has a new(ish) version of their sat nav out specifically for caravans and motorhomes and wondered if anyone has tried it.

I quite fancy getting a MH specific satnav after a few dicey roads in Cornwall that the Tomtom took us down, but reviews look mixed on Google Play Store.

May be a work in progress in the short term, but people say the truck version of Co-pilot is pretty good, so I am wondering if this should be a decent buy?
Greyhound
Greyhound

Male

Member Age : 53
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Co-pilot Caravan - anyone used it? Empty Re: Co-pilot Caravan - anyone used it?

Post by Gromit Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:27 am

Hi Noggin

I've been using CoPilot for some years and am very pleased with it. Can't see myself ever spending a fortune on a "proper" satnav which I don't think is as good as CP for 30 quid!

I'm not sure I would spend a load of cash on the truck version when the caravan one is only £35 - and must surely use the same decision making as the truck version. Big vehicle so avoid narrow roads!!

Everything depends upon the quality of the data on the mapping software they use, plus any embedded POIs to warn or avoid low bridges and the like.

I would ignore the reviews. Most of the negative ones are from idiots who haven't bothered to learn the App, and blame the tool for their own inadequacies.

Whether it will be better than CP Premium Europe (which we use) I can't say, but since it's a similar price you've got nothing to lose. ANY satnav will send you down goat tracks from time to time, and anyone who claims that theirs has never done so is telling porkies. They all need an alert brain behind them, as their favourite trick is to cut 10 yards off a journey by sending you down a short cut - not always a sensible move!

We get around this by having it running on Mrs Gromit's 10" pad at the same time, so if there's any doubt she can zoom out a bit and see a wider picture. She can then see at once if the lovely Emily is trying to cut corners!!

I would be surprised if you regret buying it. Give it a while however, as there's a lot to learn in there if you are to get the best out of it.

Dave smile!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Greyhound Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:41 am

Gromit wrote:as their favourite trick is to cut 10 yards off a journey by sending you down a short cut - not always a sensible move!

Yep, this is exactly the issue I have with Satnavs. Turn left down a tiny road past a farm and tractors, which is a tiny bit shorter than continuing on the main road with a nice comfortable drive.

We had this exact issue in Cornwall a few weeks ago and turned to the good old paper map for a backup to the silly decisions.

I didn't really want another satnav as I have tomtom on my phone, a standalone tomtom Mrs Noggin bought a while back, and a Garmin I use on my motorbike, so I thought unless the motorhome version is really good I wouldn't want to spend anymore if you see what I mean.

I may just take the plunge though as it's not a lot of cash and might sell the standalone tomtom on ebay to get the money back.
Greyhound
Greyhound

Male

Member Age : 53
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:50 am

Yes Noggin.

Without doubt satnavs are gormless idiots at times - but how brilliant is it to have street level maps of the whole of Europe in the palm of your hand, with a little pimple to tell you exactly where you are, and a blue line to show you where you want to go!!!

Captain Kirk would have loved one - far better than his communicator, unless you want Scotty to beam you up!! lol4

Dave smile!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:17 pm

We have never used CoPilot as a main sat nav but I have used it on a tablet trying out  sat nav apps. 
IMO its the best Sat Nav App I have seen and certainly the best of the free ones and easy to use
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down