The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone fitted corner steadies to a Nuevo?

+11
Driftwood6
PLOUGHLIN
Askit
NORGIL
MCRJ
bikeralw
rose49f
dbroada
Gromit
Paulmold
Greyhound
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Anyone fitted corner steadies to a Nuevo? Empty Anyone fitted corner steadies to a Nuevo?

Post by Greyhound Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:11 pm

Hi all,

Been interested in the possibility of corner steadies for the Nuevo, so it doesn't feel like we're on a cruise liner when one of use gets up in the night or bounces out of the van.

It's not a huge issue so wont bother if it's too much trouble, but is it simply a case of finding a decent mounting point to bolt to and then you just wind them down on site?

If it's a simple fit any advice on good quality steadies to fit would be appreciated - I noticed Alko seem a common make.

Cheers,
Rob.
Greyhound
Greyhound

Male

Member Age : 53
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Anyone fitted corner steadies to a Nuevo? Empty Re: Anyone fitted corner steadies to a Nuevo?

Post by Paulmold Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:27 pm

I have them (already fitted when bought) on my Nuevo (2006, same model). They are a godsend in windy conditions. Can't look underneath at the fixing at the moment though, so hopefully someone else can help.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Anyone fitted corner steadies to a Nuevo? Empty Re: Anyone fitted corner steadies to a Nuevo?

Post by Greyhound Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:49 pm

Thanks for that.

No problem not being able to check, it's good to know they can be fitted to the Nuevo and you find them useful.

I'll look when I get home tonight on a suitable mounting point, but if anyone does have experience of fitting or a good quality make that'd be great :)

Cheers,
Rob.
Greyhound
Greyhound

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:20 pm

Hi Rob

A bit of phoning around might save you a lot of cash.

The corner steadies usually have to come off a Nuevo when a tow bar is fitted. Could be worth phoning a few tow bar fitters to see if they have any slung on one side.

I've no doubt Messrs A/S could supply you with a pair that are ready to bolt on - but knowing them it won't be cheap. shrugg  You would be sure however that you have the correct ones for the van, which may be worth a lot.

Dave smile!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:27 pm

There have been a few posts regarding the removal of steadies to save weight. Maybe someone here has a pair they don't want.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Greyhound Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:08 pm

Some nice idea's there - cheers Gents.
Greyhound
Greyhound

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:27 pm

on my PDI I asked how to use the steadies and was told "I don't think there are any".

When I looked through the bag of bits you get I found a large crank that fitted nicely through two holes in the bumper and lined up with a large bolt head. And turning the crank lowered the steadies.

snigger

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK (Stolen)
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Greyhound Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:55 am

Had a look under the back last night and not sure on the best mounting point.

There is a single beam that runs left to right just behind the rear suspension that I guess is where a few holes need to be drilled to fit them. No where else seems that appropriate though and certainly can't find any dedicated points.
Greyhound
Greyhound

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rose49f Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:01 am

I read somewhere that people take them off as they just add more weight to the van and you can do without them.  shrugg
rose49f
rose49f
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:32 am

Is your van the EK version? Mine is and I can't say rocking/wallowing when parked up has ever been an issue. Maybe new rear springs or air assistors would be a better bet.
When we first got the van I thought the large overhang and short wheelbase would result in problems, and maybe it would if the bed was at the rear, but as it's positioned between the axles movement is minimal.
I'm of the opinion steadies are going down the caravan route, and for me that would lessen the appeal of motorhoming.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:40 am

Although mine is the ES version it also has the kitchen at the rear (EK = end kitchen) and I have steadies fitted. It rocks in strong wind and also as someone gets in or out as they tread on the step. I've just had a quick look and they appear to be fastened to chassis members running from the back to front. If I get chance I'll try and take a photo.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:14 am

This is going to cost you Noggin!!!! What a struggle to get a half decent photo! drinksallround

Knowing that we were going to have a towbar fitted I asked A/S not to fit the steadies, but it looks like the chassis was already set up to accept them. I'm almost sure I have labelled the mounting holes correctly, but no doubt Paul or someone will confirm or deny.

Since there may not be an industry standard for corner steadies (??) it's probably better for you to get the ones A/S fit, either from a towbar fitter's scrap bin or from A/S themselves. Then they should bolt into place in a couple of minutes.

Hope this helps - start saving up for all that beer you owe me. hugegrins

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Dave smile!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Greyhound Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:20 am

rose49f wrote:I read somewhere that people take them off as they just add more weight to the van and you can do without them.  shrugg

I noticed you can get the Fiamma 'axle stand' style stabilising jacks in either plastic or aluminium. These look just the thing - nice and light, easy to pitch up.

Might be a better alternative - anyone have any experience of these, reviews look ok on Amazon etc.
Greyhound
Greyhound

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:09 pm

Gromit wrote:This is going to cost you Noggin!!!! What a struggle to get a half decent photo! drinksallround
It can't be that difficult  shrugg  or so I thought before I tried. biggrin

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK (Stolen)
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Greyhound Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:14 pm

Thanks both - interesting photo's those, I'm sure that's not the same as mine (which may the case being a much older version) but now I know where to look I'll be able to check in more detail.

Looks like the mounting holes are directly either side of the waste water tank then.

Ok, will check that out and if they didn't put the mounting position on the older version may go for those 'axle stand' style ones just for convenience.

Al - I know what you mean about it being no big deal, I just notice it when someone enters/leaves there is a big bounce of the rear of the van. Leaf springs don't help I guess.
Greyhound
Greyhound

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:02 pm

I guess you're right about the van rocking a bit when someone goes in or out of the hab door. But once the bed is set up at night we're both in the land of nod for the next 9 hours, and seldom get up, let alone go out of the door.. We find a bit of gentle rocking if it's windy just sends us off to sleep quicker!
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MCRJ Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:59 pm

Be aware that if you fit corner steadies all the weight, when entering/leaving the van, will be on the retractable step, resulting in premature wear. I now use a separate step which I find far better.
MCRJ
MCRJ

Male

Member Age : 73

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:18 pm

MCRJ wrote:Be aware that if you fit corner steadies all the weight, when entering/leaving the van, will be on the retractable step, resulting in premature wear. I now use a separate step which I find far better.

I don't understand what you mean here???

All the weight will be on the step whether you have steadies or not. When you step onto it to get into or out of the van it has to carry all of your weight? How can steadies allow it to carry less weight? scratch head  think_smiley_46
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:01 pm

Obviously the weight will be the same, steadies or not, but I guess what MCRJ means is the shock effect of jumping onto a solid step as opposed to one that is sprung so to speak. I've just bought a mini mountain bike with suspension for my grandson, and having just had a test ride myself, the reduced shock loading on my bottom is amazing..
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by NORGIL Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:10 am

dbroada, Brilliant pics of the underside of your van, when you have a minute could you pop over and polish the underside of mine ! hugegrins

Norman
NORGIL
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 2001

Kutch likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Greyhound Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:13 am

Just an update, I went for the 'axle stand' style supports in the end. They were only just over 20 quid and fit nicely.

I decided the amount of support we actually need and the 'problem' of the van moving doesn't really require such a permanent and heavy solution.

I got 4 in the pack but will probably only need 2 for the rear support since this is where the van tends to get the bounce coming in and out. Haven't used in anger yet but they look up to the job and if they prove next to useless at least I haven't blown a lot of cash on the fixed corner steadies.
Greyhound
Greyhound

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:23 pm

We had some very strong winds last week (ask Boaby about his ASOF flag pole  rolleyes) and I used the steadies for the first time in anger.  There's no doubt they made a big difference, both in stopping the turbulence caused by the gales and the, not so, gentle rocking of the van when I move around. So much so that I now have yet another job when we arrive on site snigger   Joking aside, I was very impressed with the difference they made.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:44 pm

Askit wrote:We had some very strong winds last week (ask Boaby about his ASOF flag pole  rolleyes) and I used the steadies for the first time in anger.  There's no doubt they made a big difference, both in stopping the turbulence caused by the gales and the, not so, gentle rocking of the van when I move around. So much so that I now have yet another job when we arrive on site snigger   Joking aside, I was very impressed with the difference they made.
Hi Askit

Have you thought of getting a cheap battery drill to wind down the steadies? It saves the interminable handle winding, and makes a chore into a simple job.

No steadies on our van as we have a towbar, but on the previous van I rarely used them because it took so long to wind them down. Plus they sometimes wouldn't reach the ground, so I had to carry lumps of wood.

Dave smile!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:12 pm

Gromit wrote:
Askit wrote:We had some very strong winds last week (ask Boaby about his ASOF flag pole  rolleyes) and I used the steadies for the first time in anger.  There's no doubt they made a big difference, both in stopping the turbulence caused by the gales and the, not so, gentle rocking of the van when I move around. So much so that I now have yet another job when we arrive on site snigger   Joking aside, I was very impressed with the difference they made.
Hi Askit

Have you thought of getting a cheap battery drill to wind down the steadies? It saves the interminable handle winding, and makes a chore into a simple job.

No steadies on our van as we have a towbar, but on the previous van I rarely used them because it took so long to wind them down. Plus they sometimes wouldn't reach the ground, so I had to carry lumps of wood.

Dave smile!
Yes, I did whilst watching all those with caravans around me using theirs  think_smiley_46  I did wonder where they get the socket part though, are they sold like that or custom made?  Having a battery drill to use as a screwdriver would be a help also, I have really painful joints at the base of each thumb which makes using implements rather sore  fedup

Tony
Askit
Askit
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by Greyhound Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:36 pm

Do this and you don't even have to take a battery with you, just a long lead of an accessory socket:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Greyhound
Greyhound

Male

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next