The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

About to be a new owner

+6
crisp
Cymro
Paulmold
daisy mae
burlingtonboaby
Bmwdumptruck
10 posters

Go down

About to be a new owner Empty About to be a new owner

Post by Bmwdumptruck Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:41 am

So the wife and I have been looking at motorhomes for the last couple of years, mainly looking at Autosleepers and Hymers.  Having owned caravans for the last 15 years we weren't too surprised by the tat that seems to fill most dealers forecourts, the search was looking quite doubtful.  But a few months back I kind of bumped into a couple and their VW Clubman GL. I took the opertunity for a chat and found they were soon to be selling up and heading for the waterways instead.  I left them with my card in the slim hope we'd get a chance to look at it.  Well the phone call arrived earlier this week, and today we visited and had a good look over it, and have agreed to buy it.  We collect next weekend:up!:

It's a 99 Clubman GL 2.5tdi with just 43k miles and pretty much immaculate for its age.  Just 2 owners, the current one for ten years, and it's a credit to their careful ownership.  

Just need to suss some insurance and we'll be good to go.
Bmwdumptruck
Bmwdumptruck

Male

Member Age : 58
Auto-Sleeper : VWClubman GL
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

About to be a new owner Empty Re: About to be a new owner

Post by burlingtonboaby Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:57 am

Hi and welcome to the forum from Bridlington ,hope you have lots of good trips in your Clubman, the 2.5 tdi should last for years, is it a manual or automatic 
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:56 am

Hello and asof_welcome2 from Leicestershire good van you have there, can vouch for the VW 2.5tdi enjoy.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:02 am

Welcome from N.E Wales    handshake

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:12 am

Welcome to the Furum, from a gloriously cloudless south Wales! BBQ is ready!

Excellent choice of motorhome - I had a 1998 2.5tdi Clubman for 17 years. Smashing engine. I suspect that the 1999 version came with cruise control fitted. But if not, I thought you'd like to know that it is already wired for cruise control, and all that's necessary is to change the indicator stalk for the VW one which incorporates the cruise control switch. I thnk I paid less than £100 a few years ago. I didn't know about the wiring, and had bought a retrofit system, which was both expensive and rubbish! Only after about 15 years did I learn, from this great Forum, that the vehicles are already wired!

Enjoy the Clubman!

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by crisp Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:38 pm

Enjoy your motor homing!
crisp
crisp
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:47 pm

asof_welcome2
From the ROI
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Mayfield Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:30 pm

Welcome from Durham. wave
Mayfield
Mayfield
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by Bmwdumptruck Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:41 am

Thanks everyone. We're really looking forward to collecting her.   

Cymro,  funnily we found the very same thing with the cruise with our Sharan.  The first one we bought from a friend who had it from new and just about the only thing he didn't add to it was cruise.  It was only when we replaced it with our current one, which was also without, that we found a company that fitted it for about £250.  That's when we found out how simple it is, so it's possible I'll try doing it myself this time.  

Got to sort insurance today, were considering having a 'black box' fitted, as that will act as a tracker then too.  Although that would probably tie us to one insurance company!!
Bmwdumptruck
Bmwdumptruck

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by NORGIL Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:43 am

Hi BMW, If you are thinking of fitting the cruise control yourself I believe the fitting is fairly straightforward but you need access to the VAG software via a dealer/garage to get the vehicle to recognise it and make it work. There is lots about this on the vwt4 forums.

Norman
NORGIL
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by Bmwdumptruck Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:04 am

NORGIL wrote:Hi BMW, If you are thinking of fitting the cruise control yourself I believe the fitting is fairly straightforward but you need access to the VAG software via a dealer/garage to get the vehicle to recognise it and make it work. There is lots about this on the vwt4 forums.

Norman
Ive got a scanner thingy for looking up the fault codes etc, I think that has the access to things like that, I'll check before committing to buying the stalk.  I'm probably more worried about dealing with the air bag if I need to remove the steering wheel to do it.  Not sure if it's necessary or not? 
The wife's not too bothered about having it, but as she wants to head to Scotland with it I think it'd be handy.
Bmwdumptruck
Bmwdumptruck

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:29 pm

Hello & welcome from S/Yorks. About to be a new owner 3854503862

Its a shame your'e in Bedfordshire as I  have the complete VAG diagnostics (VCDS) software for my Passat, which is much more than a scanner, it can actually re-program just about everything, i.e. turns systems on or off, or alter existing parameters, all done via a laptop.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:47 pm

Bmwdumptruck wrote:
NORGIL wrote:Hi BMW, If you are thinking of fitting the cruise control yourself I believe the fitting is fairly straightforward but you need access to the VAG software via a dealer/garage to get the vehicle to recognise it and make it work. There is lots about this on the vwt4 forums.

Norman
Ive got a scanner thingy for looking up the fault codes etc, I think that has the access to things like that, I'll check before committing to buying the stalk.  I'm probably more worried about dealing with the air bag if I need to remove the steering wheel to do it.  Not sure if it's necessary or not? 
The wife's not too bothered about having it, but as she wants to head to Scotland with it I think it'd be handy.
You have an airbag? I haven`t any in my 2003 model, then again I am not bothered about that, just surprised that you have in a 1999 model.
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Bmwdumptruck Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:56 pm

daisy mae wrote:
Bmwdumptruck wrote:

Norman
You have an airbag? I haven`t any in my 2003 model, then again I am not bothered about that, just surprised that you have in a 1999 model.
Ah, no I don't.  At the time I said that we'd not collected her, but no we have we've realised it hasn't got them.  Sorry blushes
Bmwdumptruck
Bmwdumptruck

Male

Back to top Go down