The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mercedes Sprinter Bonnet Protector

+2
-mojo-
Liam
6 posters

Go down

Mercedes Sprinter Bonnet Protector  Empty Mercedes Sprinter Bonnet Protector

Post by Liam Wed May 25, 2016 4:07 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Just seen one of these fitted to an Auto Sleeper MB at Willersey today and wondered if they were worth the cost?
I have to say it looked good and it has a turned up edge which might help in deflecting grit and insects away from the bonnet and screen!
I believe there are variants for other vehicles.
Liam
Liam
Liam
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Mercedes Sprinter Bonnet Protector  Empty Re: Mercedes Sprinter Bonnet Protector

Post by -mojo- Wed May 25, 2016 6:18 pm

It may vary depending on the exact design, but I have heard nothing but bad things about this kind of device.

The problem is that they have to made of a flexible plastic, which means that they flex under wind loading. In the short term that means that they wear the surface of the paintwork and damage it. In the long term it's not unreasonable to expect that this would eventually wear right through the paint, at which point the panel underneath would start to rust.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Mercedes Sprinter Bonnet Protector  Empty Re: Mercedes Sprinter Bonnet Protector

Post by Liam Wed May 25, 2016 7:32 pm

I take your point, but in the flesh it looked and felt fairly substantial and appeared to be well made. It was molded to be a very snug and precise fit around the bonnet leading edge contours and as far as I could see it was secured firmly in place on the underside of the bonnet. 
I suppose you take your chances - either, paint chips and various grot on the bonnet or wear and tear on the paint from possible vibration of a badly fitting add on - all of which will end up rusting eventually!
Liam
Liam
Liam
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Wed May 25, 2016 8:05 pm

You could also consider something like autobra.co.uk, this type of bra is very popular in areas where there are lots of gravel roads?
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Wed May 25, 2016 8:10 pm

I know there has been problems with bonnet bras fitted on the VW `s damaged the paint work, also gets damp due to condensation. so as usual, way up the pros and cons and then decide.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Thu May 26, 2016 2:07 am

Another option could be helicopter tape, which is supposed to be very effective and also almost invisible.

Something similar is used by some manufacturers from the factory - for example the paint on the front edge of the rear wheel arch of a VW T5 is protected by an area of clear tape, though few people notice it.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Thu May 26, 2016 3:18 pm

I've never had any issues with the bonnet on any of the vans - the protector does look neat but I do think you risk damage as Mojo suggested.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian Thu May 26, 2016 9:55 pm

Tend to agree with Peter and Mojo, unless the seal is perfect damp will collect between the aerofoil section and the bonnet possibly leading to micro blisters in paint and subsequent rust. Mercedes vans have in the past not had a great reputation for rust which exploded in the middle of panels for no apparent reason so anything that could make this worse I would avoid. Mojo is right, there are clear tapes /foils available sometimes under the 3m brand made to protect paint on vulnerable panels as seen on most vehicles nowadays where wind  flow over body creates areas that get battered by small stones  and grit from the road creating road rash very quickly. Applied just like sticky back plastic. Wont look as good as the panel quoted but protects vulnerable paint.
kaspian

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : WARWICK XL
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian Thu May 26, 2016 9:57 pm

Tend to agree with Peter and Mojo, unless the seal is perfect damp will collect between the aerofoil section and the bonnet possibly leading to micro blisters in paint and subsequent rust. Mercedes vans have in the past not had a great reputation for rust which exploded in the middle of panels for no apparent reason so anything that could make this worse I would avoid. Mojo is right, there are clear tapes /foils available sometimes under the 3m brand made to protect paint on vulnerable panels as seen on most vehicles nowadays where wind  flow over body creates areas that get battered by small stones  and grit from the road creating road rash very quickly. Applied just like sticky back plastic. Wont look as good as the panel quoted but protects vulnerable paint.
kaspian

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : WARWICK XL
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down