The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vivanti split relay

4 posters

Go down

Vivanti split relay Empty Vivanti split relay

Post by sedgewood Mon May 23, 2016 10:30 pm

Can anyone inform me of the location of the split charge relay in my Vivanti?   I have found 2 40 amp relays under the drivers seat beside the leisure battery but both appear to be working.   If the leisure battery is on its way out, would that influence the charging circuit?  confused3
sedgewood
sedgewood

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Vivanti

Back to top Go down

Vivanti split relay Empty Re: Vivanti split relay

Post by -mojo- Mon May 23, 2016 11:36 pm

I don't think we have a very large number of Vivanti owners active here, so it would probably help if you give the age of your van and what make of power control system it has installed.

Many of the systems installed by A/S in recent years have the split charge relay built into the power control unit itself rather than having a separate device for the function.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Tue May 24, 2016 5:54 am

Also Vivanti was a brand name for vehicles built for a hire market.  There are three different models but they were based on standard AS models of the time - a photo of the van might help.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by sedgewood Tue May 24, 2016 9:09 am

It is a 2002 Vivanti 4 Peugeot Boxer base with add on on turbo by TB turbos.  It has only had one previous owner who had Marquis look after it but the original wiring looks a bit Heath Robinson, no clips or conduit/covers.   For example there is an in line 30A fuse that seems to power the relays under the seat dangling above the vehicle battery.  The main battery was changed recently [not easy!] maybe something was disturbed......
sedgewood
sedgewood

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Tue May 24, 2016 9:57 am

The split charge relay should be 70A and should be located near the vehicle battery under the bonnet, probably on a little mounting bracket fixed to the bulkhead with fuse holder included.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by sedgewood Tue May 24, 2016 11:03 am

I have taken the vehicle battery out to gain access and behind the battery is a connector block with a 175A mega fuse.  Another connector block with 2 30A fuses on a green block attached to one side.   Plus a Bosch unit which has a multiplug and also 2 red inputs that looks part of the main wiring harness of the cab, not able to look inside as it is a sealed unit. Then there is the inline 30A fuse that has a seperate connection to the battery clamps,  That's it......
sedgewood
sedgewood

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Tue May 24, 2016 11:28 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This is from a Volkswagon.  On yours I think the split charge relay is near the vehicle battery and the EMC and fridge relays under the drivers seat, the circuit should be the same.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisvesey Tue May 24, 2016 12:19 pm

Hi,
My 2001 symbol just had two relays next to the leisure battery under the drivers seat, one energised andfed the leisure charge and fridge, the other isolated the habitation electrics when the engine was running. The easy test is to connect a voltmeter across the leisure battery and see if its voltage increases with the engine running, also the hab lights should not work with the engine running. Tthere should be a feed from the alternator output which actually switches the relays. The usual faults are in the fuses, also the 12 volt to the fridge should be off when the engine is stopped, a faulty fuse can caause the fridge to pull voltage from the leisure battery when it isn't charging. You need to invest in a cheap multimeter to check out whats happening or even a test lamp,
Chris
chrisvesey
chrisvesey
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : sold it
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by sedgewood Tue May 24, 2016 9:00 pm

Thanks for all the replies, the wiring diagram will be useful.   Mine seem similar to the Symbol as I have 2 relays in that position, I will get out tomorrow with my multimeter and check things out after replacing all the bits under the bonnet and shoe horning the battery back in!
sedgewood
sedgewood

Male

Back to top Go down