The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who has a dog/dogs and who hasn't?

+34
ymfb1
davey
Foubies
Dave 418
alt
bikeralw
MelB
burlingtonboaby
FannyFour
kaspian
Sue68
David.S
daisy mae
meanchris
Charliefarlie
Jaytee
artheytrate
CC
rogerblack
mr standfast
willy eckerslike
pablo
nuevoboy
NORGIL
paul bullock
Gromit
vwt4
TravelKat
groundhog
Paulmold
dbroada
Peter Brown
boxerman
steamdrivenandy
38 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Who has a dog/dogs and who hasn't? - Page 3 Empty Woof

Post by FannyFour Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:30 am

Hi

Yep my trusted mate Monty loves MoHo's

up!
FannyFour
FannyFour

Male

Member Age : 58
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Who has a dog/dogs and who hasn't? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who has a dog/dogs and who hasn't?

Post by burlingtonboaby Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:59 pm

Maisie our 15 year old Border terrorist  travels in a canvas pet crate in between one of the side bench seats, she settles down in any van or car she is in, very laid back, very Border.
Funny enough when we were in Coniston we counted 17 borders, one van had 5 tied to tent spikes.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Who has a dog/dogs and who hasn't? - Page 3 Empty Re: Who has a dog/dogs and who hasn't?

Post by MelB Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:37 pm

Our dog [a very hairy one] sleeps in the shower/sink compartment at the rear of the MH with the habitation door closed. We have rear doors so the dog need not venture into the habitation area. Having the shower/dog compartment at the rear end of the van was a major reason why the Mrs insisted on purchasing the Kemerton. The toilet is adjacent to the shower. It works fine until you need go to the toilet [with the dog watching your every move] then later to wash your hands. Its a long stretch over dog to the sink. Dripping water onto the dog also runs the risk of a nip in the parts where the sun never shines.
Mel
MelB
MelB
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : KEMERTON
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:48 pm

If this is a straw poll, I have to nail my colours firmly to the no dogs in motorhomes mast. Like others, I have nothing against dogs, when I lived on my dad's farm quite a lot of working collies passed through my hands, superb dogs.
 I've never really seen the point of keeping a dog as a pet though, especially the tiny toy ones, which when I see them out, tend to resemble a rat on a stick. Cats on the other hand I love, but again, not in a MH.
On the few occasions we stay at sites we always try and seek out the ones that ban dogs, for the simple reason set out above by Charlie, the yapping and barking ones always seem to be parked next to us...
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by alt Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:45 pm

We have 3 dogs and are part of the reason we got a motorhome.
After I left the RAF we never really went too far from home, now that we started to stretch our legs again the dogs we have, have never been in a kennels in 6 years - it would probably kill them.

When I pick the keys up for the van, I have an entourage next to me with wagging tails waiting to "get in the van".
alt
alt

Male

Member Age : 58
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by vwt4 Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:27 pm

please dog owning motor-homers spare a thought for those of us who do not have, like, or want a dog, there are some of us around, I always seem to get one of the irresponsible few who let the dog run riot and make a mess all over the place, it does spoil your holiday, just a polite request 
mike
vwt4
vwt4
vwt4

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Trophy
Vehicle Year : 1994

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:18 pm

I love dogs and mine is the 13th one I have, she goes everywhere with me, she is family. I appreciate that there are others who don`t like dogs, I detest unruly  and out of control dogs ,gives all good dog owners  a bad name.

Also by the same token  I cannot abide unruly out of control children, that is why I do not go away in the school holidays, if possible adult only sites. Yes I have four children although adults now, but never had a problem when  as they were  brought up to respect others , and could take them anywhere..A lot of parents today don`t seem to care, same as some dog owners.

Sorry goneoff

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:40 pm

vwt4 wrote:please dog owning motor-homers spare a thought for those of us who do not have, like, or want a dog, there are some of us around, I always seem to get one of the irresponsible few who let the dog run riot and make a mess all over the place, it does spoil your holiday, just a polite request 
mike
vwt4
You are probably requesting something of the already considerate and responsible owners who would be a part of this forum  up! Probably worth a request on some of the open forums  tap_fingers. But then, the ones who are not considerate probably don't bother with forums shrugg

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:44 am

one of our favourite sites has three sections, family, no children but with dogs and the part we go to, no children or dogs. The site is around a large lake which has many nesting birds but you can only get to the water's edge in the adult, no dog area. Perfect.

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK (Stolen)
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:24 am

When touring Croatia a couple of years ago, we found although lots of sites had areas for dog owners to pitch, the dogs were not allowed on the beach or in the sea. Very strictly enforced by the lifeguards. Fenced areas well away from the facilities under shaded trees were the only place dogs were allowed on most sites. All in all not really dog friendly, which suited us.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:51 pm

doggy WE have a Supposed collie/ german shepherd cross mutt rescue dog. He dosnt travel with us much because of his bad habit of eating seat belts if left in a vehicle. To date that has been one Saab and one Golf seat belt so far. tap_fingers He had a couple of trips in the Duetto mostly days out. He managed a weekend in Norfolk sleeping on managements side of the bed, perhaps sharing her pillow wasn't realy a good idea. snigger
We have had a couple of short breaks in the Rienza with him. He seems to have settled better recently finding a nice spot between the front seats with the lower air vent blowing on his head on the moove. He likes the area under the bed when the heater is on at night.
We are lucky that the kids will look after him so we can leave him. It always seems unfair to put him in kennels after being recued once.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Who has a dog/dogs and who hasn't? - Page 3 Empty 2 x miniature schnauzers

Post by Foubies Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:13 pm

Yes, we have 2 x miniature Schnauzers, Alfie & Dougal.  Fairly well behaved. I've just ordered new harnesses with seat belt clips for them.  We are well aware that not everyone likes dogs so our two will not be allowed to run riot.

We are looking forward to having some long walks with them in new places. walkieswalkies

Female

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

Post by davey Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:34 pm

h[ 
we have a german shepard bitch we call her Holly I have 3 vehciles and she knows which set of key belongs to the motorhome and it is a race to who gets to the motorhome first I lose most times .But we always take her with us and would never leave her in the van alone

DAVE
davey
davey
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 1998

Back to top Go down

Post by ymfb1 Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:38 pm

We have a 10 yo springer and a 3 yo cocker, the cocker can't keep up with the springer.
ymfb1
ymfb1

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Traficlady Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:45 am

I have a Jack Russell. She is harnessed to a seat belt connector in the van and in the car. Yes, I do leave her occasionally, sometimes you have to. When I was single I had to leave her to go to the shower etc.

I hate to see loose dogs in the backs of vehicles, hatchback cars especially. Have you ever considered what would happen to a dog if someone went into the back of the car? To me it doesn't bear thinking about. If you've got a dog in the garage part of a motorhome it would be a similar thing and, in the event of an accident, the dog could be trapped and severely injured or worse. If you wouldn't do it to your children, don't do it to your dog.

I've never noticed all this dog mess in France either, it's much worse in Britain. 

Nora

Female

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyPK Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:56 am

Four dogs travel with us everywhere.....!
AndyPK
AndyPK
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Owned a Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisk Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:42 pm

Its always the few that give dog owners a bad name, we have 3 dogs that travel with us, outside all on leads pick up any mess and dispose of in the correct manner.
chrisk
chrisk
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Berkshire
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanguard755 Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:45 am

NORGIL wrote:I take a cat with me everywhere i go, wish I didn't have to but it's trapped in the exhaust system.
hugegrins hugegrins hugegrins hugegrins
We also have a dog that goes everywhere with us( Norfolk Terrier),always on a lead and always cleaned up afterwards.
Mostly travels in his bed on the floor but I am going to fit a seat belt thingy as he s got a belt/lead that goes in the car.

Chris
Also from Solihull

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EKTBLP
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3