The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who has a dog/dogs and who hasn't?

+34
ymfb1
davey
Foubies
Dave 418
alt
bikeralw
MelB
burlingtonboaby
FannyFour
kaspian
Sue68
David.S
daisy mae
meanchris
Charliefarlie
Jaytee
artheytrate
CC
rogerblack
mr standfast
willy eckerslike
pablo
nuevoboy
NORGIL
paul bullock
Gromit
vwt4
TravelKat
groundhog
Paulmold
dbroada
Peter Brown
boxerman
steamdrivenandy
38 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Who has a dog/dogs and who hasn't? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who has a dog/dogs and who hasn't?

Post by rogerblack Sat May 07, 2016 11:03 pm

steamdrivenandy wrote:
rogerblack wrote:We don't have pets, although a large spider seems to have adopted us and moved in behind our offside mirror, don't know if that counts?

cheers
Roger

That's surely not Boris? biggrin

Who?

Whistle1

(See what I did there?)    hugegrins
rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Who has a dog/dogs and who hasn't? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who has a dog/dogs and who hasn't?

Post by CC Sun May 08, 2016 12:41 am

We have a dog that goes everywhere with us... No way could we leave her in kennels or behind... She's the reason we got into motor homing infact.

Have a Car Safe harness attached to a seat belt point I fitted myself and she happily travels in the rear safe and secure.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Sun May 08, 2016 1:22 am

mr standfast wrote:these two ![You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Lovely pic your dogs look very content smile!

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy Sun May 08, 2016 6:43 am

rogerblack wrote:
steamdrivenandy wrote:
rogerblack wrote:We don't have pets, although a large spider seems to have adopted us and moved in behind our offside mirror, don't know if that counts?

cheers
Roger

That's surely not Boris? biggrin

Who?

Whistle1

(See what I did there?)    hugegrins

Sorry, not My Generation. Well actually it was.
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Sun May 08, 2016 9:49 am

rogerblack wrote:We take a couple of bird feeders along with us in the motorhome and set them up on the pitch; they usually attract some of the local avian wildlife, which keeps us amused.

cheers
Roger

That's a good idea! up!

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Sun May 08, 2016 1:13 pm

boxerman wrote:
rogerblack wrote:We take a couple of bird feeders along with us in the motorhome and set them up on the pitch; they usually attract some of the local avian wildlife, which keeps us amused.

cheers
Roger

That's a good idea! up!

Frank

We hang them off a couple of those shepherd crook shaped thin metal poles, designed for hanging lanterns on, so we can locate them anywhere on the pitch where we can see them easily. On many sites the birds are very tame, obviously associating people with spilled crumbs etc. We have had goldfinches come right up to our feet and chaffinches on the arm of our chair.  One site had a goldfinch nest in a tree right by our rear window, they weren't fazed by us at all and we could watch them feeding the chicks while we washed up.
:rolleye0013:
rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by TravelKat Sun May 08, 2016 1:44 pm

rogerblack wrote:
boxerman wrote:

cheers
Roger

That's a good idea! up!

Frank

We hang them off a couple of those shepherd crook shaped thin metal poles, designed for hanging lanterns on, so we can locate them anywhere on the pitch where we can see them easily. On many sites the birds are very tame, obviously associating people with spilled crumbs etc. We have had goldfinches come right up to our feet and chaffinches on the arm of our chair.  One site had a goldfinch nest in a tree right by our rear window, they weren't fazed by us at all and we could watch them feeding the chicks while we washed up.
:rolleye0013:
We take birdfeeders too, and usually also get a good variety.  Last time we were away, a couple of weeks ago at Hawes CC site, we got so many birds that we had to top up the food every day!  Lots of different ones, robins, blackbirds, thrushes, chaffinches, greenfinches and goldfinches, but also a couple we had to look up in the birdbook: siskins and red polls.  Had never seen either of the latter 2.
TravelKat

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by artheytrate Sun May 08, 2016 9:21 pm

We take our 15 year old Jack Russell everywhere with us,In a harness clipped into seat belt.

John.
artheytrate
artheytrate

Male

Member Age : 74
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by mr standfast Sun May 08, 2016 10:06 pm

CC wrote:
mr standfast wrote:these two ![You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Lovely pic your dogs look very content smile!
they love the M/H,as soon as you open the door they are inside,they'll sit there all day on the drive just in case !
mr standfast

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper : VW Gatcombe

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Sun May 08, 2016 10:17 pm

Black lab and a Golden retriever. Got the Winchcombe as it has a nice large open area.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Charliefarlie Mon May 09, 2016 5:12 pm

None here. Not sure we would want a dog in a confined area . 

Only been into motorhoming for 10 months and saw one hell of a row develop on a camp site near St Austel. Some couple went off and left a dog yapping all day. We left shortly after them and returned just before them and the dog had according to the chap on the pitch next us had yapped all day. When the dog owners returned another chap nearby went ballistic and verbally attacked said dog owners. It almost came to blows ! 

I have no problems with dogs but only if they are looked after properly and the owners pick up the tom tit which evidently a few dont.

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris Mon May 09, 2016 10:09 pm

We don't have any pets, but the previous owners of our vans obviously did, as they were both full of dog hair when we bought them.

It doesn't seem to matter how much you clean them, even picking the hairs out of the seat base carpet trims one by one, you always find more hairs, and more hairs, and more hairs.
I've even found hairs behind trim panels and collected in the seat swivel bases.
To be absolutely honest, it turns my stomach.

Personally, I wouldn't want to travel in a van with a pet, I prefer to remain hair free.
meanchris

Male

Member Age : 69
Vehicle Year : N/A

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Mon May 09, 2016 10:50 pm

Mine doesn`t moult like that, when I groom her I get a bag full, which goes in a carrier bag and then binned, the birds are helping themselves to some of her hair I have put in a holder on a tree, they use it for their nests,  she doesn`t smell doggie either. perhaps the previous owners had Labradors, lovely dogs though, have had two, now it`s lovely not to have the dog hairs from them, but still miss them, a home is where a dog lives in our book, as the MH is a home that is where the dog is when out and about.

MH is hair free, my dog picks up twigs etc.  , Beardies are known to be mud magnets. smile!

Last edited by daisy mae on Mon May 09, 2016 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : mud magnets)
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris Tue May 10, 2016 5:44 am

daisy mae wrote:Mine doesn`t moult like that, when I groom her I get a bag full, which goes in a carrier bag and then binned, the birds are helping themselves to some of her hair I have put in a holder on a tree, they use it for their nests,  she doesn`t smell doggie either. perhaps the previous owners had Labradors, lovely dogs though, have had two, now it`s lovely not to have the dog hairs from them, but still miss them, a home is where a dog lives in our book, as the MH is a home that is where the dog is when out and about.

MH is hair free, my dog picks up twigs etc.  , Beardies are known to be mud magnets. smile!

Not intending to denigrate dogs M, I love dogs.

In fact, for some strange reason, dogs love me too! scratch head

If we go on holiday to places where there are strays, one always seems to try and follow me home and I find it very hard to ignore a dog that's fallen on hard times, especially when it's giving me that "be my friend" look.

I can do without the hair, and the poo, and the slavering on my face though. hugegrins
meanchris

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Tue May 10, 2016 9:46 am

Charliefarlie wrote:None here. Not sure we would want a dog in a confined area . 

Only been into motorhoming for 10 months and saw one hell of a row develop on a camp site near St Austel. Some couple went off and left a dog yapping all day. We left shortly after them and returned just before them and the dog had according to the chap on the pitch next us had yapped all day. When the dog owners returned another chap nearby went ballistic and verbally attacked said dog owners. It almost came to blows ! 

I have no problems with dogs but only if they are looked after properly and the owners pick up the tom tit which evidently a few dont.

Our dog loves going away in the Motorhome, as for being confined she gets more excersise when we are away than she does at home, we spend most of our time sightseeing but when in the motorhome she mainly relaxes or snoozes like us.

No responsible dog owner should or would leave dogs alone in the Motorhome, we've seen people shut their dogs up in the Motorhome and go off out for the day and it disgusts us too, everywhere we go the dog comes too or else we don't go! Many attractions or sights we go to do not allow dogs, so they just loose our custom, sadly as a dog owner you face much discrimination. I don't blame the chap you refer to for going ballistic at the owners.... I'd probably do the same as these kind of people need to realise this is not acceptable behaviour.

As for dog poo.... 

I believe the vast majority of dog owners clean up behind their dogs, and I don't agree with with your opinion that few evidently don't, a huge number of motorhomers and caravanners have dogs so if that was the case sites would be covered in dog poo! If you want an example of people who don't clean up behind 
their dogs then look at the French, as a responsible dog owner it bloody disgusts me that there is dog mess everywhere you walk, they seem oblivious to it! 

As for cleanliness, our Motorhome gets a good clean after every trip away as well as a good spray of febreeze, if this is done frequently there shouldn't really be a problem. 

CC

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Tue May 10, 2016 9:51 am

meanchris wrote:

There are treatments available nowadays for such weak stomachs Chris hugegrins

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Charliefarlie Tue May 10, 2016 10:27 am

meanchris wrote:We don't have any pets, but the previous owners of our vans obviously did, as they were both full of dog hair when we bought them.

It doesn't seem to matter how much you clean them, even picking the hairs out of the seat base carpet trims one by one, you always find more hairs, and more hairs, and more hairs.
I've even found hairs behind trim panels and collected in the seat swivel bases.

Personally, I wouldn't want to travel in a van with a pet, I prefer to remain hair free.

I would not even look at a van that has had dogs in it. No matter how well a van is cleaned the smell is always there and hairs are very hard to remove completely. Just as I would not entertain a vehicle of any type that has been smoked in I would apply the same to a motor home.

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Tue May 10, 2016 10:52 am

Charliefarlie wrote:
I would not even look at a van that has had dogs in it. No matter how well a van is cleaned the smell is always there and hairs are very hard to remove completely. Just as I would not entertain a vehicle of any type that has been smoked in I would apply the same to a motor home.

We've sold two previous Auto-Sleepers and never had a problem with dog odours or hair when selling it on, the vehicles have always been cleaned to a standard that you would never even know shrugg It's really not that difficult. 

Not all dogs are that stinky by the way... If you didn't shower then you'd have BO it's just the same for dogs winks  I do however understand your opinion as like you I'd never buy a vehicle that had been smoked in.

CC

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Tue May 10, 2016 10:54 am

Charliefarlie wrote:I would not even look at a van that has had dogs in it. No matter how well a van is cleaned the smell is always there and hairs are very hard to remove completely. Just as I would not entertain a vehicle of any type that has been smoked in I would apply the same to a motor home.
us too.

Heather gets severe allergic reactions to cats and feathers and slight reactions to dogs. This was another contributing factor to our decision to go for new rather than pre-loved for our van.

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK (Stolen)
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris Tue May 10, 2016 11:16 am

Jaytee wrote:
meanchris wrote:

There's no [sticky-out-tongue-smiley], fortunately. hugegrins lol4

I should say that neither of our vans have smelled of dog, it's just the hairs.
meanchris

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Tue May 10, 2016 11:20 am

meanchris wrote:
Jaytee wrote:
meanchris wrote:

There's no [sticky-out-tongue-smiley], fortunately. hugegrins lol4

I should say that neither of our vans have smelled of dog, it's just the hairs.

allthumbz

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by David.S Tue May 10, 2016 5:34 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]Our Labradoodle William travels everywhere with us.When we bought our AS the dealer fitted restraints and we clip a full harness to these. They also fitted an external shower point for when he hats dirty. On site he is tethered to the MH tow bar on a long rope. We never allow him off the lead on site AND always pick up his poo wherever we go.As for leaving him alone in the MH....why?....what's the point of taking a dog and not taking him with you.
David.S
David.S

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Burford
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue68 Tue May 10, 2016 9:12 pm

meanchris wrote:We don't have any pets, but the previous owners of our vans obviously did, as they were both full of dog hair when we bought them.

You need my friend with you when buying a van. She knew which vans had had dogs in just by going into them. They looked clean to me but her breathing told a different story.
Sue68

Female

Member Age : 101
Auto-Sleeper : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy Tue May 10, 2016 9:41 pm

Sue68 wrote:

You need my friend with you when buying a van. She knew which vans had had dogs in just by going into them. They looked clean to me but her breathing told a different story.

That reminds me of a story.

Back when I ran the Transit in my avatar I visited the Horizons Unlimited works at Tamworth to have something fettled. Whilst there I wandered round a van they were working on. They'd taken the roof off the SWB Transit and were part way through fitting it out with some furniture installed and no GRP roof yet fitted. I spotted a large lump of elecktrickery on a bulkhead that wasn't fitted on my van and was told it was an inverter which would help power the roof aircon that was to be fitted.

Then I noticed that where we had felt coverings on the walls/doors etc this van had leatherette or similar. When I asked about this I was told that the purchaser had an allergy and reacted to fibres, hence the relatively fibreless finish.

What I couldn't get my head around was that the rear of the van was being fitted out for a dog crate, like ours and by all accounts the lady owner had several dogs that she travelled around with for dog shows and the aircon was to help keep the dogs cool.

To this day I can't square someone with a fibre allergy living with dogs that drop fibres and dog dander all the time and need grooming incessantly, if you're going to show them. It seemed like two completely opposite and contrary things.
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian Tue May 10, 2016 9:51 pm

We have always taken our Yorkie with us in the motorhome. No smells or hair as they dont cast and all seats are covered in throws that are washed after every trip anyway. He travels in a padded canvas dog crate that has a tubular metal collapsible frame strapped to the floor. Would not dream of leaving him in the van on holiday . Got turned away once  at Port Merion - no dogs allowed- their loss!
       He even loves the London underground , travelling between attractions  on the tube while staying at c and cc Chertsey. In my twenties I became hypo allergic to dogs overnight after a dog licked me and within a minute or 2,  I had a water blister the size of a 50p piece on my arm but Im ok with the yorkie breed.  Has not been in the new van yet but then I dont want to go in it either until I sort the water pump problem when I get time.
kaspian

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : WARWICK XL
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next