The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bob the Builder. Reduce reuse recycle

+3
NORGIL
roli
Heanorboy
7 posters

Go down

Bob the Builder. Reduce reuse recycle Empty Bob the Builder. Reduce reuse recycle

Post by Heanorboy Wed May 04, 2016 11:35 pm

Came across this how many would love a Autosleeper like this

[url=https://www.dropbox.com/s/u1b1wumh9w224gx/2016-04-17 18.40.03.jpg?dl=0][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

David allthumbz

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Ex 2012 Dorset W
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Bob the Builder. Reduce reuse recycle Empty Re: Bob the Builder. Reduce reuse recycle

Post by roli Thu May 05, 2016 7:17 am

Certainly an AS (HiHi)
Seriously though AS did build some Talisman Vans (4) on a 4WD Talbot Express Chassis
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Bob the Builder. Reduce reuse recycle Empty Re: Bob the Builder. Reduce reuse recycle

Post by NORGIL Thu May 05, 2016 8:11 am

Like it, must admit I have often wondered if the monocoque can be transfered to a different base vehicle.
NORGIL
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris Thu May 05, 2016 11:36 am

Of course it could, bit of glass matting, some T-Cut, job's a good 'un. up! hugegrins
meanchris

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : N/A

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Thu May 05, 2016 2:48 pm

That's a pretty cool van up!

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by NORGIL Thu May 05, 2016 3:05 pm

Mine is off to Willersey tomorrow thanks to some idiot in a car park managing to hit the wheel arch and crack the grp and drive off obviously without noticing !

Will have a word about the feasibility of re-bodying since there will be no more monocoques built.  i presume it would be a non starter other than on to an identical van because of the roof heights etc.
NORGIL
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Thu May 05, 2016 4:19 pm

Be interesting to hear how you get on with that Norgil... Would be brill to see your body on a new cab, can't see why it can't be done, it certainly works well on the Land Rover doesn't it up! No fear of getting stuck anyway hugegrins Be surprised if AutoSleepers would want to take on the task though, but do let us know?

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by NORGIL Thu May 05, 2016 4:47 pm

Hi CC, will let you know what they say. Mine is still worth a few quid so I shall hang on to it as it is.  Have seen a couple of early Talbot ones going for fairly small money thanks to the tin worm and general age taking hold that might be worth a punt in view of the fact that the body doesnt really deteriorate that much. I suspect its a massive job that wouldnt be financially viable for AS, but there are a few on here who I suspect could give it a go if they felt inclined.
NORGIL
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Thu May 05, 2016 8:13 pm

Love it, that exhaust location seems a bit sketchy though!
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Heanorboy Thu May 05, 2016 10:01 pm

groundhog wrote:Love it, that exhaust location seems a bit sketchy though!
confused3 scratch head

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Fri May 06, 2016 8:14 pm

Heanorboy wrote:
groundhog wrote:Love it, that exhaust location seems a bit sketchy though!
confused3 scratch head
The deafener snorkel exhaust sits just above the roof line but this one is right under the overhang which would surely cause turbulence and potentially push the fumes straight back into the drivers window!! Regarding what comes out of said exhaust that overhang will be black in about five minutes.... think_smiley_46
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down

Post by Heanorboy Fri May 06, 2016 8:58 pm

Not wishing to disagree (but will) wave
The Snorkel will be for Air Intake the exhaust takes care of itself in deep  coffee_drink or water as the engine usually has enough pressure through the exhaust to keep the water out, but get water in the air intake and its Bobs yer uncle  not Bob the Builder hence Landies having high Air snorkels to keep the water out

David

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Sat May 07, 2016 8:54 am

Thanks David

I think my brain must have been on holiday without me noticing! blushes blushes
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sat May 07, 2016 10:30 am

We've come across several AS bodies that have been transferred to other chassis on e-bay. I can only recall one that was legally professionally done and that was I think an executive body had been transferred from an accident damaged Peugeot to a new Fiat chassis of the same era.

To do the job economically the habitation area has to be transferred to the new chassis without the need to disassemble and reassemble the internals. Therefore the wheel arches of the new chassis have to be in the same place as the old, tanks need to be fitted in roughly the same location, inlets outlets and vents must not be interfered with by the new chassis and you must be able to interface the new chassis electrics with the existing habitation circuitry.

I guess AS could give a much longer list of issues to be considered from their very extensive experience of rebuild after accident damage and I'm also pretty sure they would do anything that was do-able but in most cases I think the cost would be prohibitive. I did mention is passing a couple of years ago the idea of swapping my body onto a new Merc chassis and that wasn't ruled out but we didn't talk money!

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum