The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adjustable bed support leg broken!

+5
CC
hblewett
PLOUGHLIN
Gromit
moggyminor1966
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Adjustable bed support leg broken! - Page 2 Empty Re: Adjustable bed support leg broken!

Post by Peter Brown Wed May 04, 2016 12:00 pm

Gromit wrote:Just fitted the washers CC. I think your assessment is spot on! up!

I think the crucial point is as follows - difficult to explain in a few words, but here goes.

If the round foot is screwed tightly up against the bottom of the leg, there is unlikely to be a problem as the foot itself is taking all the weight.

If it needs adjusting downwards however (or becomes unscrewed during use) all the pressure is being exerted upwards via the screw threaded bit onto the inner nut, which is only moulded into a bit of plastic. It is just not strong enough, and eventually the plastic will break. (See Moggie's photo's earlier in this thread.)

Ours need a slight adjustment to lengthen the legs, or they dangle above the floor when the bed bases are pulled out to make the double bed. This puts some strain on the bed frame, so obviously not a good idea.

I have therefore extended the leg length (as mentioned before) by adding a 13mm nut onto the screwed portion of the foot. Then with a washer on top of that I have screwed the feet up tight against the bottom of the leg - thus making sure the washer/nut/foot is taking the weight, none of which can now push upwards onto the inner nut, and break it free of the plastic.

Phew!!!! Hope that makes sense.

Dave smile!

100% or Gold Star - whatever they give out now to the teachers pet smile!

Last edited by Peter Brown on Wed May 04, 2016 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Adjustable bed support leg broken! - Page 2 Empty Re: Adjustable bed support leg broken!

Post by Gromit Wed May 04, 2016 1:20 pm

One tries Peter - one does one's best! hugegrins
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Wed May 04, 2016 2:49 pm

I've just been advised of an ASOC Ideas Sheet (available to club members) that shows how castors can be fitted to replace the adjustable feet.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by moggyminor1966 Wed May 04, 2016 3:19 pm

Peter Brown wrote:I've just been advised of an ASOC Ideas Sheet (available to club members) that shows how castors can be fitted to replace the adjustable feet.
Any chance you could share it with us Peter? It would certainly make pulling the bed out easy.
moggyminor1966
moggyminor1966

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Wed May 04, 2016 3:27 pm

These might work. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Wed May 04, 2016 3:29 pm

moggyminor1966 wrote:
Peter Brown wrote:I've just been advised of an ASOC Ideas Sheet (available to club members) that shows how castors can be fitted to replace the adjustable feet.
Any chance you could share it with us Peter? It would certainly make pulling the bed out easy.
Sorry but this is where I have to put up my Chinese wall. One of the benefits of being a member of ASOC is access to their idea sheets. It would be inappropriate of me abuse my position and publish any of the sheets. Hope you understand.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by moggyminor1966 Wed May 04, 2016 6:24 pm

Peter Brown wrote:
moggyminor1966 wrote:
Sorry but this is where I have to put up my Chinese wall.  One of the benefits of being a member of ASOC is access to their idea sheets.  It would be inappropriate of me abuse my position and publish any of the sheets.  Hope you understand.
Fair enough Peter I understand.
moggyminor1966
moggyminor1966

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by chudders Sun May 22, 2016 5:21 pm

Further to all the above, the inevitable happened this weekend, one of the feet on mine broke as described above.
I went to a hardware shop and got myself 4 rubber walking stick ends. Some are heavier duty than others. They are of course round but left in bioling water fro a few minutes they soften up enough to be pushed on the square section bottom of the leg. The ones I found had a metal insert at the base but I reckon any will fit. They are a very tight fit and will certainly not fall off.
I now have nice rubber ends to the legs which have the added advantage that when the bed is raised on the gas struts I have also just fitted (see the other thread) when I bang my head its only rubber in contact and not a sharp plastic or metal foot.
The legs still reach the floor when the bed is extended but if they did not I would have spaced the leg mounting on the bed with a nut or other spacer and used longer vertical screws into the wood  bed frame.
Only broke one but thought I might as well splash out and do all four. They cost 50p each.
Dave.
chudders
chudders

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Cotswold FB
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2