The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wanting a little help Max tow Weight

5 posters

Go down

Wanting a little help Max tow Weight Empty Wanting a little help Max tow Weight

Post by trikerjack Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:59 pm

Hello, my wife and i best_friends are buying a new Mercedes Burford duo up! . being disabled i tow a tow car, and i was wanting to know if anyone has had a problem scratch head or heard of any, we live Guisborough North Yorkshire allthumbz i would like to know the max this van can pull/carry total weight. in the book we got it say`s nothing about tow weight, or tow bars, if they can be fitted or not, or if they are allowed by autosleeper to be used to tow, bit confused confused3 will be picking up the new van within a couple of week`s so any help would be helpful/welcome.
trikerjack
trikerjack

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Burford Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Wanting a little help Max tow Weight Empty Re: Wanting a little help Max tow Weight

Post by steamdrivenandy Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:03 pm

The A/S website is no help either as it doesn't say what Mercedes base vehicle the Burford is built on and therefore the relevant plated Gross Vehicle Weight and Gross Train Weight which would tell you how much leeway you're likely to have for a towed car. 

Your dealer should be able to obtain that info for you from Willersey and advice on towbar fitting.
I
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Wanting a little help Max tow Weight Empty Re: Wanting a little help Max tow Weight

Post by trikerjack Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:27 pm

thanks for that, factory state, no tow bar approved by factory/A/S, but say there are firm`s that are fitting tow bar`s to this M/H.... BUT!!!!! again not approved by factory/A/S, the extra bit on the back is AL-KO. found that out but not max towing, factory don`t seem to want you towing with this motorhome it`s heavy on it`s own, that is my understanding, but they don`t say you car`nt, i have had a different story from 3 dealer`s, but all said the same there is nothing wrote down anywhere, to say different. thanks. Jack.

Last edited by trikerjack on Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
trikerjack
trikerjack

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Burford Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:33 pm

The vin plate will show the maximum train weight I.E the Motorhome and trailer combined but if it was so important I'd have had to insist on the info before ordering.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

lucasg likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:59 pm

Paulmold wrote:The vin plate will show the maximum train weight I.E the Motorhome and trailer combined but if it was so important I'd have had to insist on the info before ordering.

That's what I was thinking too Paul and why I mentioned 'plated weights' in my post. If you want to tow with a van you need to know whether it legally has the capacity to do so before putting any money down.
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:05 pm

Base towing capacity for the MB chassis cab is 2000kg. http://www2.mercedes-benz.co.uk/content/unitedkingdom/mpc/mpc_unitedkingdom_website/en/home_mpc/van/home/new_vans/models/new-sprinter/chassis_/data/dimensions.html

With the Alko chassis extensions, towing may be affected.

My Gloucester (550mm shorter but same wheelbase) has a purpose made tow bar from Towtal http://www.towtal.co.uk/motorhome-towbars/type-approved-towbars . I suggest you speak to them.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:16 pm

Apart from weights you must consider nose weight in relation to the van overhang after the rear wheel assembly
Take heed of what Ploughlin mentions on the Alko extension and distance to road in the event of crossing road humps
I would give Towtal a ring and discuss with them have dimensions of the van and weights handy if you phone them
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:23 pm

Base towing capacity is one thing, recently on Caravan Talk we've come across cars where the Gross Train Weight is substantially less than the Towing Limit and the Gross Vehicle Weight added together, which is what you'd usually expect. Both recent instances were Citroens, a DS5 and a C4 Grand Picasso but I believe Vauxhall and others do similar things.

In effect it means you can tow up to the specified maximum Towing Limit but to keep within GTW you have to load the car very, very lightly. In one particular case the guy wouldn't be able to take his wife with him if he fully loaded his caravan allthumbz .

The opposite of that was you can load the car to its GVW but the maximum you could tow was then 1200kg, instead of 1600kg.

Then you have to know whether the car you are towing will impart an acceptable level of weight on the hitch. In caravanning terms the noseweight, and the hitch, towbar and van rear structure will all have individual weight limits and whichever is lowest the car mustn't be heavier.

Then there are the van's axle limits, both of which are on the motorhome's statutory plate and mustn't be exceeded with a car on the hook.

So quite a few technical issues to address there.
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:36 pm

The MB chassis cab has a Maximum Technical Permissible Laden Mass specified by MB, unaffected by the conversion, together with a Maximum Braked Trailer Mass which together combine to give the Maximum Train Mass. The only time the MBTM is reduced is if you up-plated the MTPLM. I don't think you can uprate the MTM.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down