The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cool or warm LED cupboard strip lights?

+6
paul bullock
inspiredron
artheytrate
Quilter
daisy mae
Maasai Warrior
10 posters

Go down

Cool or warm LED cupboard strip lights? Empty Cool or warm LED cupboard strip lights?

Post by Maasai Warrior Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:27 pm

Is it me?

We were recently sitting relaxing in our Broadway one evening, while we were away at Easter, when I noticed that the above cupboard LED strip lights on either side are different shades of light! You would have thought I would have spotted this before now! One LED strip is a bright 'cool' white light while the other is definitely a 'warm' white light. I know it's not a great issue, and perhaps I should count myself lucky, but I was just wondering if others with these type of LED strip lights have noticed this small, slightly irritating niggle! 
I know when we had new LED lights installed recently in our kitchen, the electrician gave us a choice from these two light intensities. You wouldn't normally have the two types together, it would look daft!

It will be interesting to know if anyone else has this strange effect. I can't imagine that this could be down to another A/S quality control issue. think_smiley_46  Oh yes, the chrome bracket holding the chrome rack onto the glass sink lid, fell off over the weekend. I will use a dab of CT1 clear adhesive silicone to fix it back, good stuff.

Pete
Maasai Warrior
Maasai Warrior
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway EB owner
Vehicle Year : Mar 2014

Back to top Go down

Cool or warm LED cupboard strip lights? Empty Re: Cool or warm LED cupboard strip lights?

Post by daisy mae Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:43 pm

I would have thought that they would all be the same, either all cool, or all warm, does seem strange.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Cool or warm LED cupboard strip lights? Empty Re: Cool or warm LED cupboard strip lights?

Post by Quilter Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:06 pm

Our over cupboard strip lights are all the same - cool white- colour but the kitchen lights are a mix of cool and warm white, the roof lights are cool white , the 2 fancy halogen ones above the cab seats are warm white and the 4 spots appear to be different again. . Weve not yet got a combination that I'd call either cosy or relaxing.

We prefer warm white all round and keep meaning to change some of them but we do wonder who decided to put in such a complete  mixture.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by artheytrate Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:39 pm

Hi Pete I had problems with one side of ours flickering, one of the problems sorted early days, and ours are warm lights.

John.
artheytrate
artheytrate

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:09 am

Ours all match pretty closely and are cool. However, the leds in the Freshjet aircon are VERY WARM and we therefore don't use them!

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Maasai Warrior Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:13 am

Hi john, next time we are down at A/S I may ask Mark about the difference in the LED strip lights. It's not really a problem, compared with other issues we have had, but if it continues to bother me I will replace them myself. I haven't had any flickering, but l have had to recently dismantle the LED light switch by the door to clean the contacts, as it stopped working! It was an easy fix, but you have to be careful that you don't lose the cable down inside the cupboard! I tied a piece of string to it! I noticed last week that the camping shop, Jacksons of Old Arley have a spare matching switch if I had needed one. They are very good and if anyone's interested they are just beyond Coleshill in the Midlands.

We haven't decided whether we will be going to the Peterborough Show this year. John, do you normally go in your van?

Pete
Maasai Warrior
Maasai Warrior
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by paul bullock Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:29 pm

HI, yes this sounds typical A/S,youve got the end of one batch and the start of another!We had this with our spotlights, 3 one design and cool white,and 1 another design and warm white! when queried why/how? that was the reason I was given! which also begged the question of Q/C??!! One set needs to be replaced I would say .Best of luck regards     Paul
paul bullock
paul bullock
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : nuevo ek 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Maasai Warrior Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:12 pm

Paul, I think you are right. I will see what Mark at A/S says when we get back from our hols.

Pete
Maasai Warrior
Maasai Warrior
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by artheytrate Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:35 pm

Masai Warrior wrote:Hi john,

We haven't decided whether we will be going to the Peterborough Show this year. John, do you normally go in your van?

Pete
Hi Pete we are going in our van with motorhomefun from Thursday to Sunday.

John.
artheytrate
artheytrate

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:37 pm

Ours are also different. Cool white except over kitchen area where they are warm. Have just accepted it as normal shrugg  Sad really.

We want to get warm spot light lamps to replace the very harsh white. Any ideas where we can get them from.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:46 pm

I would've thought it should be opposite. I've fitted warm white in the lounging area and cool white in the kitchen area and bathroom, areas where I think a harsher light is better.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:58 pm

It's only the 'mood' lighting over the kitchen Al and the rest of the 'mood' light is harsh white but it's hardly 'mood' scratch head
Reading the 'book' it says it is dimmable but that has been disabled in the Sargeant unit by AS as was causing a problem.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by ScribesWtr Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:12 pm

Our strip lights flickered and then went out shortly after taking delivery of our Broadway last year and the dealer had several goes before getting them to stay illuminated when turned on.  When we were out at Easter, we noticed that one of the four sets of lights was daylight white while the others were warm white.  Another thing to get fixed when the van is next in for service.
ScribesWtr
ScribesWtr

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:13 pm

We've just had our first night in the van after my husband replaced all the cool white over- cupboard  lights with warm white. What a difference ! No longer does the van have a clinical dental surgery look inside and the 2 front lights, on either side of the overcab rooflight now match the rest.  Proper " mood lighting".

Well worth doing or, if you are buying from new, checking before you accept them...which we did not.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:33 pm

I agree - it's really down to personal preference, but warm white does have a much more "homely" feel, IMO. One thing you have to accept, though: all other things being equal, they are less efficient than the "cool white" type, but LEDs have become bright enough now that total light output is no longer the issue it once was...
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:35 pm

When Atem fitted LED`s in my van I had cool white in the kitchen area brighter when washing up / cooking and warm white in the lounge area. much more homely.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down