The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mifi recommendation any one?

+20
jaffa
Traficlady
roli
-mojo-
Askit
Lancky
Bad Penny
loosecoverqueen
AndyLouch
Liam
TeamRienza
artheytrate
meanchris
dbroada
Paulmold
paul bullock
Charliefarlie
daisy mae
Mike187
frederic
24 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Mifi recommendation any one? - Page 3 Empty confused...

Post by jaffa Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:20 am

How can this be? One is less than half the price of the other! Every time I read these threads, I think, "I'm having one of these", but then whenever I hover over the "click to buy", I back off, with a well developed mistrust of info given about how the PAYG scenario actually works! So I find myself wanting to ask some dumb questions...
1. Is this fabled 3 sim card as it sounds? I.e. can I use it for a year, or does the 12Gig magically disappear after a month?
2. Folks talk about mounting it up high, and also using external aerials - can it be free standing?
3. Most CLs I use have relatively poor mobile signals, just how good is this 3 Network for coverage?
and finally, what is to be gained by spending 100 squid on, say the Huawei E5785 as opposed to 30 for an entry level one?
Thank you for your patience ;-)
jaffa
jaffa

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Mifi recommendation any one? - Page 3 Empty Re: Mifi recommendation any one?

Post by Paulmold Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:31 am

My 12gb card ran out by date only last week. It still had 2gb left. To be honest O2 is now 4g almost everywhere now so I had little use for the 3 unit. I get 5gb per month on my O2 PAYG bundle. If I want to use my tablet I just tether it to my phone.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:09 am

One of the problems I have with this forum is that, although we know the calendar date that responses are written I can't see what year. I suspect that my response was about two years ago so prices may not be particularly accurate.

As for using the 3 SIM, I have not had problems. I never write down the date I put one in and my MiFi only displays a single month's usage so I have no idea how much data I have left!

Last year I paid the £20 for a year's WiFi at most CAMC sites so have tended to use that although the MiFi is still available. As you point out though, a poor phone signal will leave you without WiFI. I'll make sure I have a new PAYG SIM with me when I go abroad later this year.

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK (Stolen)
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:26 am

If you register with my3 you can find out how much you have left on your 3 SIM.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:29 am

I must admit that £13.50 for 12GB and one year seem too good to be true! Wonder what the catch is...

dbroada wrote:One of the problems I have with this forum is that, although we know the calendar date that responses are written I can't see what year.

Not sure why the forum would have chosen an odd date format when you joined, but you can change to one that shows the year, by going to your Profile, under Preferences.

dbroada wrote:my MiFi only displays a single month's usage so I have no idea how much data I have left!

If you connect to the MiFi device with a phone, tablet or laptop and go to the MyThree website, it will show you how much data you have left and when it expires. You don't need to login (because it knows who you are from the SIM's ID info) and you can access it even when your data allowance has expired (because access to that site is free for Three users).
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike187 Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:59 am

Amazon have a 24Gb Three data SIM card for £42.45 which lasts for 24 months from the date you start using it or until the data is used with no restrictions of how much you use a month.. Rarely had a problem with reception with the unit just on the shelf above the cab, no experience of using abroad.
Not looked around at other providers for a while as Three PAYG on my phone and and the mifi suits my usage.
As for mifi units depends what features you want how much you pay and i haven't looked at what is available.
If you have a Huawei mifi they have a app you can download on your phone that will monitor your data usage.

Mike

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by jaffa Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:05 pm

Thank you all for your responses - I think I will take a punt on the entry level model, as it is really quite cheap, all I want is to be able to pick up emails and look on CC websites etc. We don't watch TV on our van, so no streaming...will report back when it arrives and has been tested!
jaffa
jaffa

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike187 Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:21 pm

-mojo- wrote:I must admit that £13.50 for 12GB and one year seem too good to be true! Wonder what the catch is

If that is eBay card then it is only for a month only and includes calls and texts.

Mike

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:26 pm

The "3" PAYG SIM that I bought last November to use in our MiFi for a Spanish trip in the MoHo, is now in my 4G Nexus 7 that was originally bought to fly a DJI Spark as the video monitor.

I've been using it to browse the web, both here and in Spain/France for a few months and it still has 5867MB showing, using the "3" app.

EDIT: Take care with buying an 'entry level' MiFi, it may only be 3G and not capable of 4G.

Mifi recommendation any one? - Page 3 Screenshot_20180726-121047
meanchris

Male

Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : N/A

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:08 pm

I’m about 18 months into my 24 month 3 data sim in a 4G TP-link mifi. Not had any problems with coverage in the UK. I’ve used it for checking emails, web searches, some downloads (not streaming), etc and doubt that I will get near to using the full data allowance. Very pleased with it so far.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by harrysp Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:53 pm

We’ve used a 3 sim for about 18 months now , mostly abroad. When the first SIM expired after 12 months, as well as getting another Sim we got a better device to receive 4g. It is the next level up, costing about £60 from Amazon and has had much better reception than the first, better in most cases than my new Samsung phone. Even parked under trees in Germany it worked well when my phone wasn’t so good.

We put it on the ledge above the cab and haven’t bothered with an ariel etc as I read they were very hit and miss. It will receive TV, but beware that an hours TV will use about 1gb, so we don’t use it for that.

As others say above, the 3 website will tell you how much allowance you have left.

Harry
harrysp
harrysp
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Former Broadway

Back to top Go down

Post by Weegie Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:16 pm

Remember that MiFi is essentially just a mobile phone, set to be a Mobile hotspot. If your MiFi gets a signal, your phone likely will too. So, before purchasing anything new, do you have a sufficient data allowance for your needs with your phone already? Or would it be cheaper to increase your data allowance or buy a one off allowance boost from your provider?

We've just returned from a week and a half away. Using my phone as a hotspot, we were able to stream an hour of TV every night (TdF Highlights) on a tablet plus all the normal browsing, email, FB, etc., on two phones for less than 3.5 GB of data.
Weegie
Weegie

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:54 pm

I only use "3" have the 12GB 12 month with the "3" modem, I just put it on the table in MH when using, connects immediately, I will not use the free WIFI in public places, I only use my own. I find this system brilliant. the "3" card I am using is still from last year, and I have another one for when that runs out. 1GB per month for 12 months or runs out sooner if you use more than the 1GBpm  if you do not use the 1GB pm you do not lose it, it carries over.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:28 pm

I’m currently slumming it in Portugal (minus MH) and can’t get our Mifi to work. It’s switch to data roaming and says it’s connected to the local network. My devices show it as IP but every time I try and access a web address I get the message that the server cannot be found. Any ideas?

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:57 pm

It sounds as though it isn't connected to the internet.

Do you have a laptop that you could 'ping' a reliable IP address such as the Google DNS servers with at 8.8.8.8 ?

Open a command line and type - "ping 8.8.8.8" without the quotes. Google should reply with the 'ping' times in milliseconds, line after line until you stop or close the terminal.

If that doesn't work, try opening a browser to your ISP's homepage - e.g "3" or Vodafone etc. It could be that they think that you have no credit.
If that's the case they'll offer to top up your SIM.
meanchris

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:35 am

If you have an app something like Netty it will show you any active networks and you should be able to identify yours

Early last year I did away with our 3 MiFi and decided to Tether to my phone as I had unlimited minutes and texts and 30GB/m data (from 3) since then its gone down by £1/m to £17.           I have even run our computers off it when the BT landline went down for 24 hrs and I also have a Network Radio tethered off it and I still have plenty of data left over
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:48 am

As far as I'm aware, and both I and Christine have 3 contracts, 3 don't allow tethering when abroad under the 'Feel at home' contracts.
meanchris

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:18 am

Thanks folks, I’ll give those suggestions a try up! I’m using 
a hotspot to send this, ok for occasional use but not a reliable source.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:36 am

Are you using a laptop or a phone/tablet?
meanchris

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Traficlady Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:52 am

meanchris wrote:As far as I'm aware, and both I and Christine have 3 contracts, 3 don't allow tethering when abroad under the 'Feel at home' contracts.
I think they do now but you’re limited to only using about 75% of your data allowance. It’s all on their web site somewhere but you do have to delve for it. I have 8gb a month and can get 20 for £6 more so cheaper than buying a SIM card, 24gb sim now being around £45. If I can find the info I’ll post a link. 

Nora

Female

Member Age : 76
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:30 pm

I am thinking the same as Nora.    It may well depend on your contract
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:00 pm

meanchris wrote:Are you using a laptop or a phone/tablet?

Itouch and Android tablet. I’m now thinking the mifi might not be connecting to the local 3 network although it says it has, just getting on to them (3 that is) to see if they can shed any light (but I’m not holding my breath)

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:51 pm

Well, helpful chap at 3 has checked the system and told me it should all be working fine.....it’s not. The mifi has connected to the NOS network, strong signal and they’ve even sent me a text message (which will no doubt be about charges) that I can’t open to read. Guess it will be a game of hunt the hotspot for the next few days snigger

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by RML Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:16 am

We also tether to our phones for TV through a Chromecast dongle and internet abroad - no faffing arround as satellite is so last year now!
RML
RML

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Ex - Gatcombe
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:45 pm

Lots of useful help here thanks to all. I think I have settled on buying a TP link M7450 which I will also use instead of my current BT broadband at home.Today tethered to my phone I was getting a speed of 29.41 Gb speed but via the BT hub and alleged fast broadband just 19 Gb. Three engineers have failed to find where the line enters 'hog castle so have now given up.
Just now need to find the right sim deal.
Has anyone here used the TP link mifi please?
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next