The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wall covering

+3
artheytrate
Paulmold
Askit
7 posters

Go down

Wall covering Empty Wall covering

Post by Askit Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:17 pm

I'm looking for a bit of advice. I've noticed that a small section of wall covering below the driver side window, above the bench, is lifting away from the wall. Has anyone had a similar problem and, if so, got advice about an appropriate adhesive to stick it back down? I've also discovered a couple of the small round plastic screwhole covers are missing, is it necessary to contact A/S for replacements or are they available elsewhere? Thanks.
Askit
Askit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Wall covering Empty Re: Wall covering

Post by Paulmold Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:22 pm

Screw caps are available on Ebay, all colours  .. may be cheaper direct from AS

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by artheytrate Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:16 am

When you say wall covering do you mean the wall covering joint strips, as ours lifted on our new 2014 Broadway. A/S replaced them all but the replacements lifted also.
I finished up using copydex  which is used for sticking down overlaps on vinyl wall paper.
I ran it under the lifted joint and waited a few minutes, then ran my finger down the joint and wiped excess off with damp cloth.
John.
artheytrate
artheytrate

Male

Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:18 am

Thanks Paul and John, I may well contact A/S on the missing plastic covers to see what they say.

John, that sounds like a solution but there are no joint strips. The wall covering is attached like wallpaper, butted to the section next to it.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:48 am

screw covers B&Q or just about any hardware store!
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:04 am

groundhog wrote:screw covers B&Q or just about any hardware store!
Funnily enough, I have one of these large boxes with a collection of just about every screw, bracket, hinge, bolt, flange, doofers and doobries that have passed through my hands over the last 50 years. Amongst it I have amassed a small collection of plastic screw covers of all shapes, sizes and colours. 

Guess what, none were the right size snigger
Askit
Askit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:30 am

Ah the famous box 'of bits' that we never throw away because they may be useful one day and then when we need something we buy another one only to find there already was one in the famous box of 'bits' about a week later.

hugegrins
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:57 am

groundhog wrote:Ah the famous box 'of bits' that we never throw away because they may be useful one day
the "that will come in handy even if I never use it box".

We are currently converting the junk room in to a storage room. (This involves moving everything out and putting them back in the same position with maybe a shelf added.) Its amazing how bits I have bought afresh have been revealed during this process.

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK (Stolen)
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:39 pm

Askit wrote:The wall covering is attached like wallpaper, butted to the section next to it.

The internal wall covering is bonded on as part of the wall construction process and shouldn't be lifting. If your 2015 van is still in its first year of warranty you should be getting your dealer to check if its a manufacturing fault.

It is (was) usual to cover butted seams with a matching tape (as mentioned before) and because of the texture of the surface it didn't bond well. All mine was replaced in warranty but with similar problem so I used copydex (or something similar) to fix.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:11 pm

Thanks Peter.  Unfortunately, as the van's in storage it's a bit of a bind to check on a regular basis. We are taking it out this weekend so I will have a proper look at what's happening. It will be due the first habitation service in June but, if necessary, I will get on to the dealership before then.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaexplorer Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:02 am

artheytrate wrote:When you say wall covering do you mean the wall covering joint strips, as ours lifted on our new 2014 Broadway. A/S replaced them all but the replacements lifted also.
I finished up using copydex  which is used for sticking down overlaps on vinyl wall paper.
I ran it under the lifted joint and waited a few minutes, then ran my finger down the joint and wiped excess off with damp cloth.
John.

Thanks for the  tip artheytrate! I have the same problem with my 2010 Broadway. I bought a roll of the jointing tape from A/S, but without much success. I have even tried ironing it on but that hasn't made it any better either. I will try copydex next! 

Chinaexplorer had_idea
Chinaexplorer
Chinaexplorer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:20 pm

Peter Brown wrote:
Askit wrote:The wall covering is attached like wallpaper, butted to the section next to it.

The internal wall covering is bonded on as part of the wall construction process and shouldn't be lifting.  If your 2015 van is still in its first year of warranty you should be getting your dealer to check if its a manufacturing fault.

It is (was) usual to cover butted seams with a matching tape (as mentioned before) and because of the texture of the surface it didn't bond well.  All mine was replaced in warranty but with similar problem so I used copydex (or something similar) to fix.
Just wanted to say that I got it wrong with my assertion that the wall covering seams were not taped in our Neuvo. They are and, on closer inspection, the seams are not lifting (my appointment at Specsavers has been arranged biggrin ). I also had another look at the missing plastic screw cover issue. Because of the size of hole they are capping, about 5mm, I was convinced they had to be something "special". Wrong again, they are the common or garden 12mm screw caps that have been stuck on with silicon rolleyes
Askit
Askit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down