The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Broadway EL damp readings

4 posters

Go down

Broadway EL damp readings Empty Broadway EL damp readings

Post by CC Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:23 pm

Had the habitation check carried out by Auto-Sleepers last week & they've noted 14-20% damp readings on the rear drivers side, starting about half way up the back panel & reading 20% as you move down towards the floor... They said to have further readings taken in 3 months time to check its not got any worse.

I understood readings up to 20% were nothing really to get too worried about? I also wondered if our travels through the Scottish Highlands had a bearing on the situation as we travelled through some mega heavy downpours & some huge puddles along the roads? failing this I can only presume water could be finding its way in either via the rubber side seal towards the rear or more likely the rear lounge window? (hopefully not)

As we never got a 'Habitation Certificate' from Marquis despite them allegedly carrying out a hab check before handover we have nothing to refer to as to what damp readings, 'if any' were present before we bought the vehicle. I've mentioned this before I know but what the heck is the use in carrying out a hab check if no paperwork is handed over? This seems commonplace with dealers & I think the NCC should have something to say about this surely? 

CC

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Broadway EL damp readings Empty Re: Broadway EL damp readings

Post by Mike187 Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:16 pm

We got our van from SMC at Newark and they provided us with a vehicle diagram with locations they measured and the values. The previous year's readings were included in the documentation. I think I would insist on having the readings for peace of mind and also an indication if there are areas to keep an eye on.

I must admit l'm a bit paranoid about damp and will be regularly checking this van between habitation services.

Mike

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:58 am

Sent you a P.M CC
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:52 pm

Mike187 wrote:We got our van from SMC at Newark and they provided us with a vehicle diagram with locations they measured and the values. The previous year's readings were included in the documentation. I think I would insist on having the readings for peace of mind and also an indication if there are areas to keep an eye on.

I must admit l'm a bit paranoid about damp and will be regularly checking this van between habitation services.

Mike

This is the second Auto-Sleeper we have purchased from dealers (previous one from Spinney) allegedly with a habitation check upon handover, and both have said when queried at handover that they do not provide a certificate... My guess is they don't even bother doing a habitation check.. I mean why would anyone bother if they don't have to back it up with paperwork? shrugg C'mon Dealers rolleyes

I'm wondering about the legalities of this practice as I've spoken to others who have experienced exactly the same & I'd like to know the NCC's stance on these kinda practices! 

The certificate we got from the Auto-Sleeper service centre as you'd expect & as you say has the drawings with detailed readings and in which position. 

if damp was evident when Marquis sold us the motorhome in their alleged inspection then why weren't we made aware of this? Which again brings me back to; Without a certificate on handover their habitation checks are absolutely worthless and of little comfort or reassurance that all's as it should be. 

I have a damp meter so may take a few readings of my own, but the anniversary of our first years warranty (out of 3yrs) is very soon due & I suspect Marquis would be happy to avoid fixing this kind of issue into the second year, Yrs 2-3 don't seem to cover you as much as the 1st yr. Hopefully it won't get any worse but in the meantime we'll see how it goes.

CC

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:57 pm

Mike187 wrote:We got our van from SMC at Newark and they provided us with a vehicle diagram with locations they measured and the values.

Ditto from Cotswold Motor Caravans, although it had been after a long dry spell and we discovered damp shortly after some prolonged rain which was dealt with immediately.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike187 Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:25 pm

As I understand it 20% is in the area of "not as dry as it should be, but not in the arena of ripping the van apart! but just keep an eye on it and take regular readings to monitor it".

It's not in the region of the toilet flush tank filler is it? We were told at our handover to travel with only minimal water in the flush tank as there had been cases of water damage by water sloshing about in the tank and finding it's way into the wall, ending up with the wall having to be stripped and remade. 

Mike

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:27 am

Mike187 wrote:As I understand it 20% is in the area of "not as dry as it should be, but not in the arena of ripping the van apart! but just keep an eye on it and take regular readings to monitor it".

It's not in the region of the toilet flush tank filler is it? We were told at our handover to travel with only minimal water in the flush tank as there had been cases of water damage by water sloshing about in the tank and finding it's way into the wall, ending up with the wall having to be stripped and remade. 

Mike

Hi Mike... 

Yes, I'm not overly worried about the 20% just concerned that it may progress & not be covered under warranty in the foreseeable future... we've had a catalogue of 'very minor issues' with our Broadway 'made far worse' by incompetent people as you may already have read, so just a bit cautious about what way it potentially could go.

No... it's not anywhere near the flush tank as ours is an End Lounge Duo model so the bathroom sits behind the drivers seat up front, just the two single bench / beds with a set of draws in the centre as here

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Good point about the tank flush though all the same. 

There is a bike rack on the rear so I might check the fixings incase something could be happening there. As a matter of precaution more than anything else I've totally resealed all the rear panels with Sikaflex & sealed around the top brake light & rear window.

CC

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:11 pm

Hi CC
Replied to your p.m. On removing our bike  rack on the Nuevo the rubber gaskets had split on one side and become hard and un flexible, however no damp reading recorded in that area of the rear panel.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down