The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adding additional insulation query?

2 posters

Go down

Adding additional insulation query? Empty Adding additional insulation query?

Post by vwt4 Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:10 pm

I would like to fit some extra insulation in my VW Auto Sleeper Trophy, I realise it could be difficult with all the fittings inside,  I was thinking more of the roof  and doors 
and anywhere I can get to, as every little helps.
mike vwt4
vwt4
vwt4

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Trophy
Vehicle Year : 1994

Back to top Go down

Adding additional insulation query? Empty Re: Adding additional insulation query?

Post by vwt4 Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:03 pm

I guess everybody else has a fully insulated 3 season then LOL cold hugegrins
MIKE VWT4
vwt4
vwt4

Male

Back to top Go down

Adding additional insulation query? Empty Re: Adding additional insulation query?

Post by Charliefarlie Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:26 pm

The insulation in our 2013 AS Kemerton is mostly a fairly thin foam material. 

Its thin but incredibly high in insulation values. The very same material is used in TLX Gold multi layer roof insulation. 

TLX Gold is a modern roll over the top of the rafters or staple under .. 

So if you buy a roll of that you can insulate pretty much everywhere you want to. Its also a very permeable (Breathable) material so should prevent condensation or if condensation occurs it will not hold within the material. 

HTH.

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by vwt4 Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:02 pm

thanks very much Charliefarlie much appreciated, can it be purchased it places like B&Q ?
mike
vwt4
vwt4

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Charliefarlie Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:18 pm

vwt4 wrote:thanks very much Charliefarlie much appreciated, can it be purchased it places like B&Q ?
mike
 Doubtful... But go to a roofing or builders merchants or keep an eye out on local building sites and ask for offcuts ..

TLX is a multi layer felt but cut into it and part the layers. The white foam like material is what is used in motor homes. 

I have done our van with it and have lagged all the pipes and round the water heater. The stuff round the water heater will be removed when we use the van though... 

All of the layers can be used but its the white foam like material that has the greatest U values.  up!

A full roll of TLX costs about £100 but will be way more than enough to do a medium sized van.. 

You could of course google TLX Gold and see exactly what they use or call AS and ask them ? You may be able to buy just the white foam materiel on a roll. Not sure.

I get hold of off cuts free on occasion so that's why I looked into its properties and used that .  up!

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by vwt4 Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:22 pm

many thanks, I will look into that asap
mike
vwt4
vwt4

Male

Back to top Go down