The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tips/tricks for newbies

+4
redturner37
Paulmold
PLOUGHLIN
Hel999
8 posters

Go down

tips/tricks for newbies Empty tips/tricks for newbies

Post by Hel999 Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:48 am

Hi,
we have finally collected our MH - our first entry into the world of coachbuilts after 3 years of campervanning (AS Trident).

Our new baby is an AS suffolk on a Sprinter base 2010.

Our old Trident was easy to fill with fresh water - you just got a hosepipe and filled it up. This new one has a filler pipe that attaches to an aquaroll. this wont be practical for us as we mostly wild camp. The dealer did say we could use other methods but there was so much to take in that i cannot remember what he said now.

We have also very quickly learnt not to leave the keys in the MH whilst we are popping in and out getting to know it - luckily we have a spare set so we werent locked out! We also didnt know there was a drop down cocktail cabinet until the dealer pointed it out to us - just as well he did as i do wonder how long it would have taken us to spot it otherwise snigger

so are there any other hints/tips/tricks for a newbie? i am guessing i will become a pain on here as i start asking what must seem like dumb questions to you experienced folks. But having never had the luxury of shower, hot water, wind out awning.......before, i am wary of doing anything wrong.
Hel999
Hel999

Female

Member Age : 55
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

tips/tricks for newbies Empty Re: tips/tricks for newbies

Post by PLOUGHLIN Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:26 pm

Re  aquaroll, This will just part fill your on board tank, presumably you have the Truma filler hose with trigger end and submersible pump [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Do you have a hose with the Truma Trigger fitting on one end [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] This is used to connect to mains tap and fill on board tank. The Aquaroll can then be used to top up to save moving van to a tap location.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Re being locked out,provided you always open a cab door when you unlock, it will not autolock on you.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:26 pm

You will find tips for newbies in the factsheet section. Tbey were started by Murph who is no longer with us and modern systems such as Whale water fillers will not be covered. Even so you may find some useful bits there.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Hel999 Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:36 pm

lovely, thankyou i will go and have a read there.

I have had a rummage around in the lockers and found a reel of hose with the Truma trigger end and some diffferent hose fittings so im happy now that we can use both methods. Im just glad the dealers left everything that the original owners had bought for it.

ive noticed there is no spare wheel on it - have any of you retro fitted one and if so where as it wont fit in the locker?
Hel999
Hel999

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by redturner37 Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:02 pm

You will find it an advantage to learn the 30 second shower routine. Works for me but the Home Secretary needs 500 gallons and I only have 12.. RedT.
redturner37
redturner37

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 1991

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:25 pm

LOL 30 second shower!
 I usually shower first (my wife wouldn't survive the initial cold blast!), and I take about 20 seconds. However when it's her turn it can be over a minute, at which point I usually flick the pump switch to off.. Yes, the air does turn blue, and if I'm not watchful I find salt is added to my morning cuppa...
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:32 pm

Re the spare wheel - have you checked underneath?  The spare on our Pollensa resides in a drop-down cage underneath the chassis at the rear.

Good luck and enjoy the learning curve.

cheers
Roger

PS Here's my tip re the wind out awning - NEVER leave it out unattended or overnight!  Even if you have tie-down straps or whatever, if a strong gusty wind gets up there's a chance it may at best rip the awning or at worst blow it up and over the roof with potential for very expensive damage. And when it is out, leave one end higher than the other, so that any rain doesn't collect on it, unless you want a cold shower when you retract it   
                  big thumbs up

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:41 pm

Paulmold wrote:You will find tips for newbies in the factsheet section. Tbey were started by Murph who is no longer with us and modern systems such as Whale water fillers will not be covered. Even so you may find some useful bits there.

Sorry the tips are not in the Factsheets section but are a 'sticky' in the All Models/Miscellaneous section.

Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:49 pm

Welcome Hel999.  I'm a recent convert to motorhoming as well and learning as I go along.  If you have a manual (I know, I know  scratch head) spend some time going through it, you may well end up with more questions but it gives you somewhere to start from.  Using the search function on here is always worth trying, there is a mine of great information that others have posted on all sorts of subjects.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by Hel999 Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:03 pm

Paulmold wrote:
Paulmold wrote:You will find tips for newbies in the factsheet section. Tbey were started by Murph who is no longer with us and modern systems such as Whale water fillers will not be covered. Even so you may find some useful bits there.

Sorry the tips are not in the Factsheets section but are a 'sticky' in the All Models/Miscellaneous section.

just had a read through this - excellent info. what a shame it stopped. I am sure there must be some regulars on here who could add to it for us newbies.
Hel999
Hel999

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:34 pm

Don't bother to carry an Aquaroll. We have managed very well with the Whale system for over a year now with just a bucket.  

Your new van will be, I guess, heavier than your old one. Before you pitch on grass walk over it and check that even with heavy rain you will be able to get off the pitch.

( Written from the centre of a lake in a VERY wet field in Norwich, which was fine before the storm we had an hour ago .....   Here speaks the voice of bitter experience. We might have to take up residence in Norwich)
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Hel999 Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:13 pm

Oh dear! we had a few black clouds earlier but must have dodged the worst of it. Must remember to add wellies to the list of must haves in case we end up in the middle of a wet field!

I think i'll get a collapsible type bucket to keep with us then for when i cant get near enough to a tap, so that i can use the whale system. I have so much to learn and these tips are invaluable, thankyou all.
Hel999
Hel999

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by redturner37 Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:35 pm

I normally leave my awning out if the weather is decent when we turn in. However, I always lower one corner to make sure it sheds any water if it rains. The result of seeing a 5 mtr awning absolutely wrecked during overnight rain. It must have been supporting half a ton of water.....
redturner37
redturner37

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by redturner37 Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:38 pm

bikeralw wrote:LOL 30 second shower!
 I usually shower first (my wife wouldn't survive the initial cold blast!), and I take about 20 seconds. However when it's her turn it can be over a minute, at which point I usually flick the pump switch to off.. Yes, the air does turn blue, and if I'm not watchful I find salt is added to my morning cuppa...
I have fitted a trigger type shower head and the taps are pre set to the right temp for showering.. Squirt the first pipe full fown the plug hole and then warm water on me. Hate cold water.....
redturner37
redturner37

Male

Back to top Go down