The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hartal door

+2
Gromit
paul bullock
6 posters

Go down

Hartal door Empty Hartal door

Post by paul bullock Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:25 pm

I have read all of the recent posts I think, about  problems with the door stay, now mine is as it should be but is not doing its job! Has any of you very resourceful people with the same door come up with a solution to keeping it open during even a modest breeze! We have virtually given trying to leave the door open! Which is a pain especially when the weather gets a bit like it should be  Many Thanks   Regards  Paul
paul bullock
paul bullock
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : nuevo ek 2012

Back to top Go down

Hartal door Empty Re: Hartal door

Post by Gromit Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:35 pm

Hi Paul

I've not tried it yet with the new van, but a lot of people use a simple elasticated luggage strap and hook it to the wheel, or wherever is convenient.

A bit Heath-Robinson, but it works for them.

Dave
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:48 pm

My wife is desperate to work out something to fix the insect screen netting we bought to cover the door space when the door is left open, but we were having the same problem. Due to go off again so we'll have a look.  Don't suppose you have something like a water carrier lying about to use as a temporary door stop  rolleyes snigger

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:43 pm

Hi Askit

A bit off topic (but you started it so you get the blame content )

This looks like one way of fixing your fly screen. Shouldn't be too difficult to rig something up.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

My friend who goes to mosquito infested Spain every summer says all the locals use those woolly danglers in their doorways.

Don't know how effective they would be.

Have a good holiday.

Dave up!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:22 pm

I use a bungee, one end hooked on to the inside handle and the other to the wheel arch.
Dave, the caravan door fly screen in your first link is worse than useless, I've had 2, both a tangled mess in a few days. I bought the second as I thought maybe the first was faulty, it wasn't.
The second link, the chenille fly screen is excellent, I've had one for several years now. Hanging from 2 hooks above the door, it can be left up all the time, door open or shut.
Al
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:29 pm

Thanks guys, funnily enough I was going to try a bungee (honest winks).  It's a screen a bit like the first one we've got so it sounds like it might be back to the drawing board.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by stoneb Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:18 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] by [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] on Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:41 am

You may benefit from checking out the above's thread. The subject was covered in some depth and may give some food for thought.

At the end of the day, even I have been forced to resort to a bungee strap! Bah.

Regards, Barry.
stoneb
stoneb

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:57 pm

stoneb wrote:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] by [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] on Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:41 am

You may benefit from checking out the above's thread. The subject was covered in some depth and may give some food for thought.

At the end of the day, even I have been forced to resort to a bungee strap! Bah.

Regards, Barry.
Which "above's thread" sic? Both the threads above seem to relate to fly-screens.

Pete.

Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Stanton.

Back to top Go down

Post by stoneb Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:27 pm

Hi Pete,

I'm sorry if I've caused confusion in my post but the foregoing posts refered to insect screens for the caravan door, plus the use of a bungee strap to hold the door open against the wind etc.

My post was trying to indicate that these matters have been gone into before, fairly recently and indicating that A/S do not seem to have tried to overcome the problem.

The answer would be to use a different stepwell moulding and fit a proper fly screen unit such as a HORREX model, as used by other motorhome manufacturers such as Rapido, Bessacarr, AutoTrail etc. But A/S have made no progress in that direction.

Regards, Barry.
stoneb
stoneb

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe

Back to top Go down