The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pump sometimes works when no taps are open

+2
Paulmold
Barney Broadway
6 posters

Go down

Pump sometimes works when no taps are open Empty Pump sometimes works when no taps are open

Post by Barney Broadway Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:30 pm

Ok, Ok....... a Merry Christmas if somewhat belated and a very happy and prosperous New Year to one and all.

Still finding problems with our (new to us) Broadway EK 2011

Current problem still relates to water/pump.  What we are finding is that the pump decides to kick in for a minute or so then it settles down without any apparent reason.   This happens all the while ....... Anyone out there with any ideas.  Obviously at the time no taps are open.

Am I missing something obvious scratch head
Barney Broadway
Barney Broadway

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Pump sometimes works when no taps are open Empty Re: Pump sometimes works when no taps are open

Post by Paulmold Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:00 pm

Common for it to come on for a second or two but not a minute. Means air is entering system, maybe a leak or a slight weep from a joint or a crack in pump or filter. If really running for a minute then something more serious.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Pump sometimes works when no taps are open Empty Re: Pump sometimes works when no taps are open

Post by Peter Brown Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:27 pm

If it is a whale pump immersed in the fresh water tank then it could also be the pump that needs adjustment. I used to think that intermittent pump operation was always caused by a leak but was corrected by Alan Curry of AS earlier this year in the context of the Whale.

Not having had that pump I can't advise on how the adjustment is made.

Peter

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by paul bullock Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:46 pm

Sounds like a leak to me ,we had a similar thing during the summer while away, it gradually getting worse with an increasing drip underneath the van. Short term we switched off the power to the pump on the control panel , only switching on when we wanted the taps ,when we got home it was a case of finding the culprit joint [under the wardrobe!!] and effecting a fix,all ok now but a bit hairy at times! Hope you get it sorted and the problem [leak I suspect]is more accessible than ours! I also had a similar problem with our last MH a Pilote but it proved to be a joint on a tap which to say the least was slightly easier to fix,the big clue is where the water is going, it has to go somewhere!!!              KIND REGARDS Paul
paul bullock
paul bullock
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : nuevo ek 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by artheytrate Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:16 pm

If its not a leak, it's as Peter says. On the inlet pipe work under the seat there will be a white switch with an adjuster turn it slightly to the left or right if the pump starts up continuous  then turn it the other way until it stops.
I've had all this with my van and doing the above as cured it.

John.
artheytrate
artheytrate

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:59 pm

Hi there,

If the pump comes on and runs for a few seconds before stopping then it sounds like:

1.  A leak (dripping tap maybe) from the hot-water side?

2.  A hot-water system cooling down?

If the pump comes on and then stops within a couple of seconds then it sounds like:

1.  A leak on the cold-water system.

2.  The pressure switch set too low.

3.  A pump diaphragm/NRV failure allowing water to flow back through the pump and thereby reduce the discharge pressure. (Very rare!)

Hope this helps. allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by paul bullock Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:19 pm

Dutto has got all points covered, the cooling down of the boiler is the common one, with us it was the appearance of water where it didn't belong showed us it was a leak! Hope it is one of the other options                Kind  Regards    Paul
paul bullock
paul bullock
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : nuevo ek 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney Broadway Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:26 pm

Many thanks to one and all for the helpful advice.  Methinks I've tracked down the problem and its on the cold water side.   One of the Whale connectors to the pressure switch is loose and refuses to make a tight fit.   Ah well we are still under warranty so once the New Year is underway and companies are back in action I think a phone call to the dealer is in order.

Have a very healthy, happy and prosperous new year and who knows perhaps we might meet one or two of you on our travels.

Regards

Mike
Barney Broadway
Barney Broadway

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down