The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Broadway tyre pressures

+7
Sue68
RML
DuxDeluxe
Peter Brown
Paulmold
PLOUGHLIN
Sunbeampizza
11 posters

Go down

Broadway tyre pressures Empty Broadway tyre pressures

Post by Sunbeampizza Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:04 am

all confused all confused all confused all confused all confused My Broadway EK 4berth has Continental vanco camper tyres 215/70R15 CP109R as fitted from new. On collection I was told that 65psi should be used all round which I have been doing for 7000 miles now. However I was recently told by my local garage that this is bad advice and that the front and rear pressures must be calculated in accordance with the maximum axle weights allowed by the base vehicle manufacturer, in my case, Peugeot, to avoid problems with over and under inflation.
The tyre pressures are given on the riveted plate on the cab door pillar and read 72.3 psi for the front and 79.5 for the rear. However the tyre walls state a max of 69 psi. Alarm bells started ringing !!
So, as one would do after spending a small fortune with Auto Sleepers, I emailed Willersley and asked them what the pressures should be in relation to the axle weights. Not an unreasonable request to my mind. To my utter astonishment I received a short sharp reply saying that I must contact either Peugeot or Continental for this information which I have reluctantly done but received no replies.
My own research indicates that, on a front axle max weight of 1500kg the front tyres should be 50 psi and on the rear axle weight of 1800kg the rear tyres should be at 70 psi. This is without any loading for passengers, belongings etc. Should I have had to do this ?
There is nothing at all regarding pressures in the AS manual and the Peugeot manual merely directs one to the door pillar plate. 
As most owners will be aware, this is important as correct pressures have a marked effect on economy, handling and safety. I would be interested in what pressures other owners' vans are running on and whether their findings relate to my own.
Would you spend upwards of £50k on a new Jag and be expected to make your own investigations as to what tyre pressures should be used ?   I don't think so.  Come on Auto-Sleepers.
all confused
Sunbeampizza
Sunbeampizza

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Broadway tyre pressures Empty Re: Broadway tyre pressures

Post by PLOUGHLIN Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:10 am

Conti tyre pressure charts are here [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:14 am

This question comes up so often. The weight on the pillar is assuming it is loaded up to the max as a commercial vehicle. If you go on the home page, you will see a heading 'Factsheets'. There you will find two listings , one 'Continental Tyre Pressure Chart' and one 'motorhome tyres' (last one on page 2). You need to load your van ready for a trip and go and weigh it at a local weighbridge, then check these lists to find your pressures.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:22 am

It is not the plated weights that are used to calculate the tyre pressures but the actual weight on each axle at any time and that is dependant on both weight of payload and fluids and the distribution of the weight. These weights are entirely personal to you and cannot be predicted - hence the policy of not specifying pressures.

You should weigh the vehicle in the various states of load you anticipate, contact the tyre manufacturers with that data and they will tell you the pressures to use.

Peter

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by DuxDeluxe Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:25 am

Would you spend upwards of £50k on a new Jag and be expected to make your own investigations as to what tyre pressures should be used ?   I don't think so.  Come on Auto-Sleepers.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The same as every single motorhome on the roads. They all operate at different loads for different owners so the garages just pump up to the max weight pressure. 

As above, weighbridge - actual axle weights front and back - check the max weight from weight plate and it is a direct ratio varying with axle load.

DuxDeluxe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway Crown

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:32 am

Peter Brown wrote:
You should weigh the vehicle in the various states of load you anticipate, contact the tyre manufacturers with that data and they will tell you the pressures to use.

Peter
All except for Michelin Camper Tyres (Agilis). Michelin  will only give a standard reply to any motorhome for rear tyres, which they state should be inflated to 80psi no matter what the axle weight is.  I go by the factsheet from Tyresafe and inflate mine to 60psi.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:48 am

Interesting Paul - its several years since I took advice from Michelin and they were very helpful then on the telephone, I gave them the weights and they gave the pressures.

They seem to have gone 'slopey shouldered' now despite the following phrase appearing in several different sections of their web site: "In all circumstances, adhere to the pressures recommended
by the vehicle or tyre manufacturers."

Peter
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by RML Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:21 am

I'm with Peter on this.  I emailed Continental through their website, they wanted the vehicle maximum weights and the individual axle weights fully loaded, I supplies this and an email arrived back in a few days with the correct tyre pressures; very good service.
Rich..
RML
RML

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Ex - Gatcombe
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunbeampizza Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:46 am

Take your point re individual axle weightings and I had  indeed realised this. Surely it would be simple enough to give a guideline psi figure for each of their models taken from say two occupants and an average contents weight together with the basic axle weights. To expect owners to find a public weighbridge and work out the correct pressures themselves is not acceptable and at the very least a reference to this procedure should be made in the AS handbook. Not all owners are inclined to know technical aspects of their vans. Perhaps Continental have not replied to me because they are inundated with these
Requests ?  I rest my case
Sunbeampizza
Sunbeampizza

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DuxDeluxe Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:06 am

They may not give a recommended tyre pressure due to potential liability issues if something goes wrong. Similar to Michelin. When I emailed them they gave a pressure for the front but said as the rear axle weights varied a lot depending upon loads then they simply said 5.5 bar, the maximum.

I simply pro rated it and regularly checked. Same thing with the Pilote - been across a weighbridge three times so far since May

DuxDeluxe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway Crown

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue68 Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:12 pm

I agree with sunbeampizza. There is no way I am going to find a weighbridge and play. So a guesstimate is the nearest it is going to get.
Sue68

Female

Member Age : 101
Auto-Sleeper : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

Post by RML Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:27 pm

In my case I was weighing the van anyway before a trip abroad - as I always do, it was no trouble to make the enquiry after, but I do agree there should be more detailed information in the handbook.  My chassis handbook gives different pressures from the coach builders figures supplied the the vehicle literature.
Rich..
RML
RML

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Ex - Gatcombe
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:33 pm

I have done mine (albeit not the same chassis) by trial of sorts. Started off using pressure V's the axle weights from the vehicle handbook with a reasonably accurate start point from a one off weighbridge check. (Easy to do, really worth doing and cheap).
Now I work on the above figures and if too harsh a ride I drop it a bit and then check regularly on route that the tyres are not getting hot. I have now built a pretty good profile of load to tyre pressures and it works well.

I have done a further weighbridge check while passing one when on hols just to check I was within my legal weigh limit. (The MH not me snigger).

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:11 pm

For those that can't be bothered to find a weighbridge, here is a list of them. Often they are free if you don't want a print-out, otherwise there is nominal fee of around £5/10.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Backtrax Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:20 pm

Sue68 wrote:I agree with sunbeampizza. There is no way I am going to find a weighbridge and play. So a guesstimate is the nearest it is going to get.

Sue68
You are of coarse entitled to take that attitude if you so wish.
However you should recognise that if you have the incorrect tyre pressures for the loading of the van and it does not behave as you expect under emergency braking, or you do not get what you would consider to be reasonable mileage out of a set of tyres, then you only have yourself to blame.
Personally I found it quite easy and inexpensive to weigh our van under 'fully loaded for touring' and 'unladen for local usage' conditions and reference Continental tyres pressure chart to ensure I have the correct pressures.
The van handles very well and has done 30k miles before the front tyres needed replacing. The rear tyres are less than 50% worn.
Backtrax
Backtrax

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunbeampizza Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:10 am

It's not an attitude, merely a discussion about a subject that affects me and probably others. I love my Broadway and cannot fault it. To avoid travelling to a weighbridge ( some distance) every time we load the van my original post was to enquire average psi values for this model for two persons and luggage etc which I feel would be far better than to just stick 65 psi into each tyre as AS suggested on picking up the vehicle which I now know was not best practice and something I still feel that AS could do. Obviously I now need to switch my expertise from being an emminent astro physicist to a campervan technician. I will find a weighbridge with my wife and luggage in the van and use that as the ball park figure in future. Let's put this to bed for now - I have vented my frustration with AS.
Sunbeampizza
Sunbeampizza

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:35 am

I have weighed mine, but I go on the pressures that are on a plate on the cab pillar, also the tyres which are the same as originally fitted, my van is loaded all the time, it is my everyday vehicle, and never know if I will need to stay away. my pressures are 55 front 65 rear. no problem with handling, quiet, so happy MH omer

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:27 am

Sue, it's well worth a quick check on a weighbridge even if only once just as guide to the weight of your vehicle at a certain load. Not just from a tyre pressure point of view but from a legal aspect as now the government have found another way of gaining revenue from us motorists with their 'WIMS" weight in motion sensors, they will clobber you if over weight, plus of course in event of accident you could find your insurance invalid. The joys of motoring in our technological world eh.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:04 am

I can understand both sides to the above comments.... 

I have a weigh bridge literally just a few hundred yards up the road and I don't really feel the need to use it... I run my pressures at what feels right for me.

I've found in our Broadway End Lounge Duo, that tyres pressures of 70 psi rear and 60 psi front gives a smooth ride with good handling.

Surprisingly the Broadway rides way smoother to our Previous Nuevo (despite the Nuevo having Air Rides fitted) I know it's a little bigger but they are basically the same base vehicle so can't really get my head around this? I don't even feel the need to have air rides fitted which was one of the first upgrades I'd considered doing prior to getting it.

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:15 am

I always try and advise what should be done although in practice I evolve my preferred pressures as CC does. When I first acquire a van I do load it up and weigh it but that is more to do with knowing where I stand legally with weight.

I do have the ability to sense incorrect pressures by feel. Several years ago I had the firestone tyres on my Duetto replaced with Toyo commercials.

We set of up the M6 with Chris driving, she was not too concerned but as far as I was concerned we extremely unstable. I phone Toyo from the van, described the circumstances and they advised an extra 5 psi all round. In to the next services and wow, what a difference, perfectly stable again.

Peter

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunbeampizza Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:12 am

Thank you Cruising Comet. I think I will adopt your suggestion in the absence of a reply from Continental. In fact I found their pressures table this morning which ties in almost to what you quote. As a matter of interest I telephoned my nearest weighbridge ( ASM of Aylesbury ) who wanted £80 per tonne which seemed a bit high to me. I still think AS should have provided better guidance. Thanks everyone for all your comments.
Paulmold - it is not a matter of not being bothered. I think you have missed my point.
Sunbeampizza
Sunbeampizza

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:31 am

I've not missed your point. I just don't understand your reluctance to accept that each motorhome is unique in what it carries. How about the one that carries a mobility scooter on a rear rack or a couple of bikes, they upset the axle weights and cannot be expected to use the same pressures as a van without the bikes on the back.
As for the £80 per tonne, that is the cost of dumping waste at a landfill. No weighbridge would charge that for simply weighing a vehicle, extract from council website below..

''
A weighbridge is considered to be a Public Weighbridge if it is open to members of the public to use to weigh vehicles, tractors, vans etc.. You can find lists of public weighbridges in Devon (including Torbay and Plymouth) and Somerset below.
Public weighbridges are available for use by businesses or the general public for the weighing of vehicles and objects where determination of a specific weight/load is important, including ensuring that vehicles are not overloaded. They are operated by local businesses and are generally sited at premises such as quarries, feed mills and docks. A fee is often charged for each weighing carried out, which normally ranges from £5 to £10.''

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:24 am

I was lucky then, the weigh bridge that I went to didn`t charge me.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:30 am

They often don't charge if you don't want a print-out. At least you went to a weighbridge.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:23 am

My local in Bridlington was £15 and that was gross plus front and rear axles and a very helpful lass as I hadn't done it before. Weighed the truck that is hugegrins

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down