The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advice pls on fitting a rear view camera

4 posters

Go down

Advice pls on fitting a rear view camera  Empty Advice pls on fitting a rear view camera

Post by Pbtrickyb Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:55 pm

Hi all.

Hope you're all well! I'd like to fit a rear camera and wondered if anyone can suggest a 'path of least trouble' to get wiring from a camera to be mounted centrally at roof level and then to run back to the screen and power at the front. 
All thoughts and dos and donts appreciated. I'm also about to embark on a stereo upgrade which may or may not ultimately require a similar job running new speaker wires from the rear back to the head unit. 

Thanks hugely!
Best regards
Rich
Pbtrickyb
Pbtrickyb

Male

Member Age : 53
Auto-Sleeper : Ravenna

Back to top Go down

Advice pls on fitting a rear view camera  Empty Re: Advice pls on fitting a rear view camera

Post by daisy mae Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:45 pm

I had my twin cameras installed by RhinoInstalls he took the wiring from the top from the brake light, through to van, Not sure whether he took it under the van to the front, then into the dash board, or through the van over the doorway behind cabinets to the front, I had a rear view monitor fitted from the monitor I do know that the wire from the monitor goes through the head lining down to the corner of the o/s side dashboard then must pick up the 12volt connection behind the dashboard, as I had to change the monitor. I didn`t have it wired up to the reversing gear, as I have the option of which view I want in any given circumstances.Hope you can understand some of my vague instructions.

Regards,
Margaret

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Advice pls on fitting a rear view camera  Empty Re: Advice pls on fitting a rear view camera

Post by meanchris Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:02 pm

Pbtrickyb wrote:Hi all.

Hope you're all well! I'd like to fit a rear camera and wondered if anyone can suggest a 'path of least trouble' to get wiring from a camera to be mounted centrally at roof level and then to run back to the screen and power at the front. 
All thoughts and dos and donts appreciated. I'm also about to embark on a stereo upgrade which may or may not ultimately require a similar job running new speaker wires from the rear back to the head unit. 

Thanks hugely!
Best regards
Rich

After the problems I encountered running speaker cables from our head unit to the rear of the hab, I think I'd go for a wireless camera. At least then you can just pick the power supply up from a rear light or hab 12V supply, as daisy mae says.
meanchris

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : N/A

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:06 am

Wireless cameras lose signal, probably just when you need it,not reliable, still have to pick the 12volt somewhere. others will be on tomorrow with their expertise,

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Pbtrickyb Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:00 am

Thanks for the chip ins all! I'm not getting a warm feeling that I should tackle it just yet lol. I have had an initial chat to an auto electrician on a local trading estate but I started to ponder if I could do it once I heard their hourly rate and very rough guess at time from a sales person scratch headsnigger
Pbtrickyb
Pbtrickyb

Male

Member Age : 53
Auto-Sleeper : Ravenna

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:26 am

This post will give you some idea of whats involved
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Personally I would avoid any wireless set up due to interference.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:25 am

daisy mae wrote:Wireless cameras lose signal, probably just when you need it,not reliable, still have to pick the 12volt somewhere. others will be on tomorrow with their expertise,

That's a bit of an unfair generalisation, I think probably based on a poor personal experience, this is not my experience. As long as the transmitter and receiver antennas are properly mounted and adjusted there shouldn't be any problem.

The same frequencies and technology are used for radio control, WiFi and many others, so they're usually pretty robust.
meanchris

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:05 am

I fitted a wireless camera, mounted quite low down and taking it's power from a number plate light.
It does mean the sidelights have to be on but I can live with that. The monitor is just plugged into a spare cig socket.
No real problems with losing signal, but just now and then passing through towns I tend to get signals from shop security cameras.
Once while waiting at traffic lights in France I had a ringside seat of the inside of the ladies changing room in a nearby boutique... I have to admit I missed the lights change to green...
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:36 am

Excellent, I'm buying one today then.  hugegrins hugegrins hugegrins allthumbz
meanchris

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:48 pm

meanchris wrote:
daisy mae wrote:Wireless cameras lose signal, probably just when you need it,not reliable, still have to pick the 12volt somewhere. others will be on tomorrow with their expertise,

That's a bit of an unfair generalisation, I think probably based on a poor personal experience, this is not my experience. As long as the transmitter and receiver antennas are properly mounted and adjusted there shouldn't be any problem.

The same frequencies and technology are used for radio control, WiFi and many others, so they're usually pretty robust.
No not on poor personal experience, after asking and taking advice, I steered cleared of wireless, each to his/her own, but as I have to pay someone to do many of the jobs on my MH I went with the best possible way from others who had had the experience.

I notice that you said shouldn`t be a problem, not definitely that there wouldn`t be one.

I Was just trying to help, too late if you go down that route and you have problems which many have ,then it is more time/trouble to put right.
Margaret

Margaret
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:04 pm

Hi Margaret, no offence intended.

It's just that installation of a wireless camera is likely to be far less labour intensive and thus cheaper, as it only needs one connection to the camera which will be available somewhere at the rear lighting.

As an electrical/electronics engineer I would be pretty confident that any problems with transmission of the signal through a fibreglass shell would simply be due to sloppy installation, e.g. not much notice taken of the siting of aerials.

I wasn't suggesting that you weren't helping BTW, we all help each other as best we can, but it's up to the individual to choose for themselves after all.  best_friends
meanchris

Male

Back to top Go down