The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Autosleeper Sandhurst

5 posters

Go down

Autosleeper Sandhurst Empty Autosleeper Sandhurst

Post by David Marsh Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:57 am

I have an Autosleeper Sandhurst and very good it is indeed. 
Today I sent the Sandhurst in for it's annual MOT test. I have had it serviced, lights adjusted and other bits and pieces. All went very well until the tyres needed to be checked. The treads and walls are just fine as I've only covered 21,000 miles but finding out what the correct pressures should be has been a nightmare.
I first went through all the handbooks, Autosleeper and Volkswagen. In these hanbooks the only information given is that the pressures should be on the door pillar just under the lock on the near side. All we have is the axle weights and nothing more. So, I looked on the drivers side door. Again nothing. I looked on the fuel filler flap, nothing. 
So I got the service manager at the garage to check out if he could find any notification either in the handbooks, manuals or in fact on the vehicle itself, again nothing. 
At his behest I gave Autosleepers a call at 0902hrs this morning only to be told by someone in the service department that Autosleepers cannot give out such information as it all depends on the loading of the individual vehicle and so to take the vehicle to the local weigh bridge to find out what the correct pressures should be for the loading. Also I was told that should my vehicle be involved in an incident should Autosleepers have given me the information that I requested that they could be held responsible. I thought after being in the transport industry  since 1965 as the owner of a fleet of trucks, coaches and recovery vehicles I had heard it all. Constructions and Use regs state that tyre presuures are to be made known on any vehicle. What a let down Autosleepers are in this respect.
Should anyone be looking in vain for these elusive notification I have been informed that they should be as follows.
FRONTS. 4.1bar/60psi
REAR.     4.2bar/61psi
Why oh why do the minions make what should be a simple task so difficult.
I must also say I might have used a word or two that the Autosleeper service department didn't agree with. It's no wonder but if he was offended in any way shape or form I apologise but get a grip, get real and give out the information.
David Marsh
David Marsh

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Burford Duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Autosleeper Sandhurst Empty Re: Autosleeper Sandhurst

Post by Paulmold Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:06 am

Prior to the MOT, when was the last time you checked the pressures if you didn't know what pressure to use?

Different tyre manufacturers give different pressures for their tyres when given the actual axle weights. AS are correct in that the only true way to know is to get the van weighed and then contact the tyre manufacturer and ask them. If you use different brands around the van then check out the 'factsheets' on this forum for 'recommendations' for Continental tyres and from tyresafe.org

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

and then perhaps you could take a couple of minutes to introduce yourself here...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

spotted a Sandhurst on the M56 on Monday heading east, presumably from North Wales, you by any chance?
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:59 pm

Its a pity AS have always adopted this attitude to tyres. When a new van is developed they could load it to maximum (like the caravan manufactuers do and also done on these tests ) get the van weighed and come up with a figure.  They could put a warning in the handbook that the figures are for guidance
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by andyiow Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:29 pm

Spoke to a Sandhurst Owner this weekend on a Rally. He is awaiting VW to fit his 4th Starter Motor in 15k
andyiow
andyiow

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Madmountainman Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:02 am

andyiow wrote:Spoke to a Sandhurst Owner this weekend on a Rally. He is awaiting VW to fit his 4th Starter Motor in 15k
That sounds like the one that's up for sale… again, down Kent way. I asked a few questions on it and it's had 6 previous owners in 15K. Looks like i may have sourced what the issue with the van is by joining up on here. up!
Madmountainman
Madmountainman

Male

Member Age : 58
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by David Marsh Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:29 am

Morning everyone,
I'm surprised at the starter motor issue. Although our Sandhurst has now covered 23k miles we've not had any issues in that department.....touch wood. 
Two weeks ago we returned to the UK from Spain, the Sandhurst has been over there since last September, and we've just had it serviced etc. Everything is just fine but we did replace the rear tyres, not due to wear but to do with their age. 
This weekend we are going up to Killin in the Highlands for two nights and on Monday we'll go up to Dunnet Bay which is the most northerly part of the UK mainland. We might just fit in a trip over to The Orkneys as we've never been there.....it all depends on the ferry costs as we're only on t' pension!
One of my only gripes with the Sandhurst, and it's just something annoying rather than a fault, is the stearing lock or should I say lack of it. The turning circle is abysmal. But I guess with something FWD we all have to live with that.
As we downsized dramatically to the Sandhurst we tow an Erde 234 trailer so we can take with us all the things that we MIGHT need. Although the trailers GVW is 750 kgs we still achieve a reasonable 25 mpg. 
Have a great day everyone.
David Marsh
David Marsh

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Burford Duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down