The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Neuvo 2011 hab' aircon

5 posters

Go down

Neuvo 2011 hab' aircon Empty Neuvo 2011 hab' aircon

Post by SteveplusChris Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:54 pm

Hi Again chaps. I have a 2011 Neuvo Lancashire with fitted Hab Aircon. I understand from previous posts that this unit isn't very effective, but while in France when it hit 37 degrees one day I thought I would give it a try. I switched on and waited. Things started slowly then suddenly there was a roar and much more activity but also massive noise and vibration making the whole MH resonate!! Is this normal? if so it really is a waste of space although during all the racket it did seem to be blowing some cool--er air. Does anyone use these things? If not have you removed it? and if yes replaced with what? I have a feeling that this is just a novelty item in common with the equally noisy and waste of space cooker hook that doesn't even extract to the outside and can't be removed because of the gaps in cabinets it will leave. As usual any thoughts will be much appreciated wave
SteveplusChris
SteveplusChris

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo Lancashire EK

Back to top Go down

Neuvo 2011 hab' aircon Empty Re: Neuvo 2011 hab' aircon

Post by stoneb Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:34 pm

Cooker hood? I've got one on my 2014 'van and I have similar thoughts, but at least you're not going to get water ingress through an outlet! I suppose you might consider having an extract hole cut into the sidewall if you wish. The idea, apparently, is to neutralise noxious niffs from cooking pungent aromas through the carbon filter (that would need replacement when the smell neutralising effect wears off) At least you have 2 small lights over your hob-top!

Hab air-con? Oh yes, please, I wish I had a set-up (Truma, I believe), provided it's a model that can cool or warm the internal atmosphere as required.
Vibration? Probably a fan blade problem - out of balance - may be repairable. Maybe the complete motor spindle and fan needs dynamic (rotating) balancing?
The motor spindle should be capable of rotating at varying speeds to suit the variations in temperature required, lots of spin for a big change in temperature, gentle spin for a small change. This will be achievable via an electronic control board.
It could be that the air-con was mounted in an area with very little stiffness in the roof and effectively the roof is vibrating up and down - try putting some pressure upwards (maybe with your hands or a broom if you're a shorty like me) on the roof panel with the motor running. Does the vibration lessen? or stop? or what happens?
stoneb
stoneb

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveplusChris Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:20 pm

Hi, thanks for your thoughts. We had a "quality" caravan years ago with a cooker hood that 1. was quite quiet and 2. had a vent to outside with a rain proof cowl that prevented water ingress. Can't believe a carbon filter is going to do anything in a confined space with no where for the exhaust to go! As for aircon I have tried pushing panels and stuff around, the vibration just goes down my arm instead! Me thinks a bit of dismantling and checking is called for, as if that is built as badly as all the other fittings and fixtures I will be sure to find an answer?
SteveplusChris
SteveplusChris

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo Lancashire EK

Back to top Go down

Post by Swansea Jac Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:11 pm

We are looking to add a roof - mounted Dometique air con unit to our 2000 Legend.  We had one ( the same one!) mounted in our last two motor homes (not A-S) ...We are awaiting a reply from A-S who are on shut-down for the moment. We also had air con fitted in our last boat, which we sailed to, and around, the Med.  We find them invaluable, which is why we want one in our Legend.  Does anyone know if it is feasible to put a roof mounted air con in a monocoque, please?
Swansea Jac
Swansea Jac
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 84
Auto-Sleeper : Legend
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:32 pm

Swansea Jac wrote:We are looking to add a roof - mounted Dometique air con unit to our 2000 Legend.  We had one ( the same one!) mounted in our last two motor homes (not A-S) ...We are awaiting a reply from A-S who are on shut-down for the moment. We also had air con fitted in our last boat, which we sailed to, and around, the Med.  We find them invaluable, which is why we want one in our Legend.  Does anyone know if it is feasible to put a roof mounted air con in a monocoque, please?

If you have a 40cm square rooflight then you may be able to replace it with an aircon unit but that will depend on the clearance both on the roof and inside around the roof light. You wil find fitting instructions for all their models on Dometic's website. They have a new range of small units, FreshJet. Don't go below the 1700 model. The 1100 will not have enough power.

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by steve00136 Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:56 am

Hi we have a Lancashire with aircon and agree it is pretty useless to try to cool down an already heated up van say in the middle of the day ...... but we do find it a lot more effective keeping a cooler van cool. If we know it is going to be a hot day we switch aircon on first thing in the morning before it gets too hot. We close the cab curtains and all blinds to minimise the sun's heat getting in and the aircon does then keep the van a lot cooler - using the silver screen on the front windscreen helps as well.
Mind you sitting in a dark van with ear muffs on to protect you from the deafening noise the thing makes is not a lot of fun!!

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo / Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by Swansea Jac Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:53 am

In our elderly Legend (year 2000) we have already replaced the hatch near the cooker with an extractor fan, which works very well.  It can suck warm air out when we need to cook indoors, as well a blow air in.  Some years ago when we were camped at Avignon in late April, in a previous motorhome (before we discovered Auro-Sleepers) we were concerned that our dog appeared to be ill.  However, when we went to the top of the Mont Ventoux,
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] )
where it was much cooler, she sprang back to life and was her usual self, and we realised that her problem was just the heat.  Thereafter, we only exercised her early in he morning and late at night and let her sleep indoors during the day, with the air con on.  It also meant that we had a cool van to sleep in each night as it had not had a chance to overheat during the daytime.  Admittedly, the Dometique unit was a little noisy, but more bearable than the heat!  Provided the roof will bear the weight, we shall probably fit one.
Swansea Jac
Swansea Jac
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 84
Auto-Sleeper : Legend
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down