The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Whale water filling system on Nuevo

+29
roger7webster
bikeralw
PLOUGHLIN
chudders
Paramedic
burlingtonboaby
yottieman
Driftwood6
Charliefarlie
Jools
Gromit
moggyminor1966
stoneb
safariboy
andyiow
styler
inspiredron
Mutleysdad
Claytaa
ajrm
geoff brooke
padraigpost
Jaytee
hblewett
artheytrate
Quilter
Bertie Bassett
Billy Ruffian
cjournet
33 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Whale water filling system on Nuevo - Page 3 Empty Re: Whale water filling system on Nuevo

Post by andyiow Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:38 am

Bertie Bassett wrote:
andyiow wrote:All 2015 coachbuilt models will have both whale and normal fillers as standard.

Andy many thanks for this and the other updates you've been giving on the other thread, most appreciated. BB
Your welcome. They will be on display at the NEC
andyiow
andyiow

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Whale water filling system on Nuevo - Page 3 Empty Re: Whale water filling system on Nuevo

Post by geoff brooke Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:28 pm

I think it would be fair for A S to retro fit the additional filling system free of charge to all 2014 models...by fitting the dual fill system they have acknowkedged that the whale system ion its own is not fit for purpose
Also the new blinds on the cab side windows obstruct the lower  near side mirror...another design fault which dave from AS acknowledged when I spoke with him at carvan salon in dusseldorf last week...think they will swap for remis in future and hopefully change mine also f o c
geoff brooke
geoff brooke

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : warwick duo xl

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:05 pm

Geoff...I am intrigued to know why you don' t think the Whale system is fit for purpose ?

Its fast - even with the filter we fitted after recommendation above, and found a dead earwig in this morning !- its usuable on both taps, bornes and via a bucket, aand, the huge advantage over the old system, is that you turn on the tap, go off and do something else and it turns off when the tank is full or half full.
We really like this and the hab carpets are much cleaner for not having to keep monitoring the meter. We use the flat hose provided and, if we need anything longer_ is when on a pitch where we can plug in, we add one of the new expanding cloth covered hoses. Instead of the mass of hoses and watering can we used to carry we now have 2 small boxes, about the size of books, and a bucket.

We think this system a real improvement and have been using it since May. You do have to do as I wrote above though when you plug in the pump: if not the flow is limited.

Thanks for the filter idea by the way. It is interesting to see, apart from the earwig, what would finish up in our internal water pump and tank, if it were not there.

Q
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by ajrm Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:07 pm

I don't think AS will retrofit anything, shame, because it is the current owners who have been used as quality control and highlighted these and other "problems"
I guess if they did, their workshops would be full of retrofit jobs and nothing would be built!
As well as the supplied flat hose ( and whale pump) I have a 20 metre flat cassette hose. Takes up little space and is easy to use. 
I like the idea of the inline filter though, I'll have to get one.
Allan

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex 2013 Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by andyiow Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:34 pm

geoff brooke wrote:I think it would be fair for A S to retro fit the additional filling system free of charge to all 2014 models...by fitting the dual fill system they have acknowkedged that the whale system ion its own is not fit for purpose
Also the new blinds on the cab side windows obstruct the lower  near side mirror...another design fault which dave from AS acknowledged when I spoke with him at carvan salon in dusseldorf last week...think they will swap for remis in future and hopefully change mine also f o c
Hi Geoff, when will the blinds be changed to the remis make please. I've had the whale system now for nearly a year and the only thing I don't like is the slow fill rate while others are waiting to get on a site. Apart from that I like the way I can fill the tank without moving off a pitch. The fitting of both systems is a great improvement IMO. I wouldn't say it was unfit for purpose.
andyiow
andyiow

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by artheytrate Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:30 pm

I've also come to terms with the whale system.

John.
artheytrate
artheytrate

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Billy Ruffian Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:45 am

I don't think I'll ever accept the Whale system as a complete system.  It let me down on three separate occasions when we first had the van, once from the pumps not working and twice because the numerous small bore pipe connections in the van failed, thereby flooding the van and not filling the tank.

I opted therefore to have retro fitted, a direct filler pipe at a cost of some £200 odd pounds.   It's pretty fool proof and I normally fill the tank this way either at home or if on a site then using their hose.   The Whale system I found is useful on site for filling from a heavy 5 gallon container if i don't want to move the van - if I'd bought a 2 gallon container it would be just as easy to use the direct filler though.

Both systems have their supporters and it's good to see that AS have listened and come up with a solution that suits everyone.
Billy Ruffian
Billy Ruffian
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo 2 ES
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by moggyminor1966 Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:04 pm

Mutleysdad wrote:I have been using this system since 2011 on our Nuevo11 and have got used to it. It works well as long as you are aware of the little wire mesh filter that needs to be kept clean. The first time ours got clogged up was whilst getting ready to have a few days on the Sahara Desert where it is quite important to have water!! At that time I new nothing about it's existence and in fact after a very expensive phone call to the supply company I came to realise that they did not know of it's existence either. It is situated in amongst the first junction just inside and if it blocks up, no water will pump in, even the direct hose connection will not work. Apart from that I have had no problem so far!! And by the way I am surprised at the number of replies to this item, and yet I posted a thread yesterday about my habitation door stuck shut and got hardly any response!!
Could you please advise exactly where the wire mesh filter is and how do you remove it- if possible could you post a photo?
moggyminor1966
moggyminor1966

Male

Member Age : 78
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by moggyminor1966 Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:03 pm

moggyminor1966 wrote:
Mutleysdad wrote:I have been using this system since 2011 on our Nuevo11 and have got used to it. It works well as long as you are aware of the little wire mesh filter that needs to be kept clean. The first time ours got clogged up was whilst getting ready to have a few days on the Sahara Desert where it is quite important to have water!! At that time I new nothing about it's existence and in fact after a very expensive phone call to the supply company I came to realise that they did not know of it's existence either. It is situated in amongst the first junction just inside and if it blocks up, no water will pump in, even the direct hose connection will not work. Apart from that I have had no problem so far!! And by the way I am surprised at the number of replies to this item, and yet I posted a thread yesterday about my habitation door stuck shut and got hardly any response!!
Could you please advise exactly where the wire mesh filter is and how do you remove it- if possible could you post a photo?
Anyone?
moggyminor1966
moggyminor1966

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by artheytrate Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:14 am

Sorry moggyminor can't help.

John.
artheytrate
artheytrate

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:11 am

Didn't know I had one Moggy, so I shall watch with interest.

Dave
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by moggyminor1966 Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:12 am

Gromit wrote:Didn't know I had one Moggy, so I shall watch with interest.

Dave
Hi Gromit I have sent a private message to mutleysdad asking if he can help and post a photo if possible. He has not posted since last September so may be away. Hopefully someone will help????  confused3 confused3 confused3 confused3
moggyminor1966
moggyminor1966

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by artheytrate Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:07 pm

Hello Moggyminor, I've had a look for the filter on my Broadway today and found it. It's in the inlet side of the water solenoid valve.
Undo both water connections on solenoid valve and withdraw it, you will see the filter in the inlet mine was spotless. Also have a piece of cloth under the fittings as you remove them as there will be a drop of water as you pull the solenoid out.

John.
artheytrate
artheytrate

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:19 pm

Where is the solenoid valve? Behind the big pipe cover in the bed locker?

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire

Back to top Go down

Post by artheytrate Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:43 pm

inspiredron wrote:Where is the solenoid valve? Behind the big pipe cover in the bed locker?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]This is the solenoid Ron under the bench seat on drivers side, filter in the inlet side.

John.
artheytrate
artheytrate

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by moggyminor1966 Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:24 pm

artheytrate wrote:Hello Moggyminor, I've had a look for the filter on my Broadway today and found it. It's in the inlet side of the water solenoid valve.
Undo both water connections on solenoid valve and withdraw it, you will see the filter in the inlet mine was spotless. Also have a piece of cloth under the fittings as you remove them as there will be a drop of water as you pull the solenoid out.

John.
Thanks very much artheytrate you would have thought it should be a bit more accessible. The photo does help so I will now check when it warms up a bit.  smile!
moggyminor1966
moggyminor1966

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by moggyminor1966 Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:45 pm

@ artheytrate 
I took the solenoid out today and there was a bit of dirt on the filter. I tried to take the filter out but seems to be fixed in the inlet pipe. Just wondered if it is supposed to come out? All I could do was clean it under the tap.
moggyminor1966
moggyminor1966

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by artheytrate Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:08 pm

moggyminor1966 wrote:@ artheytrate 
I took the solenoid out today and there was a bit of dirt on the filter. I tried to take the filter out but seems to be fixed in the inlet pipe. Just wondered if it is supposed to come out? All I could do was clean it under the tap.

Same here Moggy.

John.
artheytrate
artheytrate

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:16 pm

If you have some wire and spade connectors you can connect it to a 12v battery and back flush which works well up!

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by moggyminor1966 Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:24 pm

Jaytee wrote:If you have some wire and spade connectors you can connect it to a 12v battery and back flush which works well up!
Thanks for the tip but why they make it so difficult to get at is crazy. Surely they could install a filter you could see and get at easily!
moggyminor1966
moggyminor1966

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:29 pm

Dewinterised my van today so decided to look for the solenoid valve. I found it behind the cover as shown in the photos below.  My filter was also non-removable and fairly blocked with sediment and chalk.  I managed to clean it with pressure from the mains tap and a little gentle persuasion from a soft bottle brush.
Given the minute size of the bore through the valve (effectively less than 3/8 inch) it is hardly surprising that filling takes a very long time with the Whale filler. I may look into the possibility of changing the valve to a 3/4 valve but am not sure whether I could get it into the space available between inlet and outlet pipes.
Removing the valve was extremely easy.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire

Back to top Go down

Post by Jools Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:35 pm

Just picked up our Warwick XL.

I was expecting just the Whale system, as that was as displayed at the NeC

The van has both - the standard filler cap style, and the whale, and was supplied with both the pump to fill from a bucket, and a hose fitted with the valve to fill from a tap.

We used the whale hose to fill from the tap a coup,e of times over the weekend, and found it very easy. Whilst it was filling, I tarted emptying the waster - and the fresh shuts off automatically when full.

Seems like a good system to me.

Jools
Jools
Jools

Male

Member Age : 52
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Charliefarlie Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:55 pm

Im about to take the valve out of our van. The info and pictures here are great so thanks for that ! 
Do the white connectors each side of the valve just unscrew ? It looks fairly obvious they do but as others have mentioned above access is very limited. I'm a big chap and very broad across the shoulders due to training in the gym for donkeys years. So I may have to get a slim / narrow assistant !

I like the idea of an inline filter in the supply hose but how would we use such a filter with the submersible pump ?

Thanks !

Oh and when I spoke to the AS factory about the filter they told me they remove them and deposit them in the bin ............ smile!

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton

Back to top Go down

Post by Charliefarlie Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:20 pm

Our one is done now.. Removed cleaned and re installed. 

Our one was caked in gunge and it was also full of water above the solenoid valve. I have now cleaned it and made sure it has no water left in it. Given its close proximity to the outside of the van I would say its a frost risk.
I have also insulated everything in this area using the foam from TLX Gold.. This s very high tech insulation that leaves No debris of particles like fiberglass would.  It is also 100% waterproof so would never retain moisture IF a leak were to occur. It is also a full permeable / breathable insulation.

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton

Back to top Go down

Post by Driftwood6 Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:02 pm

Jaytee wrote:I carry an aquaroll and use it to top up if on site for a day or so. It still auto cuts out when full so cannot overfill.

Good idea re the old whale adapter as it a bit of a bind having to unroll the supplied hose when there is one on the site. Not managed to get mine to override the auto stop though  scratch head Haven't tried with power off though, perhaps that relaxes the solenoid or  ?

But then why would I when with power on I can just let it get on with it while I do something else. (Still think it's a good system  hugegrins ).
We love the convenience of the whale system - most of those who run it down don't necessarily have one. However if required AS at Willersy will add a manual filler for £190 including labour.
Driftwood6
Driftwood6

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : 2014 Nuveo EK
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next