The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TV aerial

5 posters

Go down

TV aerial Empty TV aerial

Post by cornishpixi Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:33 pm

My last post was the telly wouldn't work1 all sorted now it had to have a new aerial and fittings - next question its a status aerial but its a fixed one just been away for the weekend and the reception was awful our caravan has a directional aerial the motorhome is fixed can I get a booster to get better reception please
cornishpixi
cornishpixi

Female

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : Midas
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

TV aerial Empty Re: TV aerial

Post by Gram Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:54 pm

The directional aerial will have a better gain than the omnidirectional aerial.

Is there not an amplifier associated with your motorhome aerial?

If so, is there a gain control on the amplifier (it may be hidden under a cover)?  Is it turned to max?

G
Gram
Gram

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:56 pm

Yes, but you're better off with an external wideband directional aerial on an extendable pole.

I'd go for an ordinary domestic aerial from someone like:

http://www.aerialsandtv.com/onlineaerials.html

rather than buy an overpriced and under par caravan/boat/motorhome aerial.

They are super people, extremely knowledgeable and helpful, and will help you to choose something compact but efficient.

Just my opinion, having some knowledge in this area and having bought (under protest) a couple of dedicated (but rubbish) caravan/boat aerials.
meanchris

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : N/A

Back to top Go down

Post by cornishpixi Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:07 pm

Yes turned to max - will have a look at that web site thanks
cornishpixi
cornishpixi

Female

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : Midas
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:25 pm

The omnidirectional aerials are not very good but if you have a preamp in the system and are in a practical area for reception from a transmitter that's OK on horizontal polarisation then check the coax as there is some rubbish about. The screening should be a nice tight weave, not loose.
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by brodco Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:26 pm

Hi.  wave 

Can’t argue with any of the previous replies but:

There are so any variables in that question that it’s almost impossible to answer but probably not. The signal strength across the UK is very variable. Low signal areas need high sensitivity aerials and high sensitivity aerials are big – no way round that.  The problem is that although some will be better than others, any aerial you are likely to be able to fit (or carry) in a motorhome will be small, of relatively low sensitivity  and  will only work in high to medium signal areas.

In some areas the signal is so low that you cannot get a usable signal no matter how large the aerial is.

Amplifiers or boosters can help up to a point but the fundamental principle is that if there is insufficient signal no amount of “boosting” will work. If you boost nothing you still get nothing.

I’m afraid we just have to accept that (as motorhomers) there will be places where  we will not get a signal.
The only solution is a portable satellite system. This will work anywhere in the UK if you have a clear view to the sky in the southeast.

Brod.
brodco
brodco
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:33 pm

One point I forgot, those with directional aerials who have Android phones or tablets could look at the.  UK Aerial Alignment app.  Not only does it give you direction and distances of transmitter masts it gives aerial polarisation as well and best of all its free
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by brodco Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:22 pm

Hi.  wave 

roli wrote:The omnidirectional aerials are not very good
Can’t disagree in principle but I think “not very good” needs clarifying. I my view they are not actually bad, they are as good as you can expect from a design that  is small, needs no adjustment  and accepts signals from all directions. In strong signal areas will work fine. Another “horses for courses” thing.

roli wrote: check the coax as there is some rubbish about. The screening should be a nice tight weave, not loose.
100% agree. In fact, in a recent issue of “EMC Magazine”  they were arguing that although there are standards for the performance of  co-ax cables, the vast majority of co-ax sold in the UK did not meet these minimum  standards (usually cheap Chinese rubbish). The inference being that there should be some form of testing and marking of the good stuff. Don’t hold your breath!

http://www.compliance-club.com/

Again, the point being that at home, with good signals, good aerials and short runs they will be OK but in motorhomes when the signal is often on the limit of what is receivable they are not. I’d argue any co-ax used should not be of lower standard then WF100 and obtained from a reputable source.

Cornishpixi  has probably gone to lie down in a darkened room.  hugegrins Sorry but I think your aerial system is performing as well as it ever will.

Brod.

Last edited by brodco on Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:47 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Typo)
brodco
brodco
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:39 pm

Heads up c-pixi:

https://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com/t11222-digital-tv-antenna

Just what you need (even if I'm not overly fond of the caravan specific aerials).
meanchris

Male

Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : N/A

Back to top Go down