The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Satellite Dome / Omni directional TV

+8
roli
Dutto
murph
Nuevo
modelman
Neuvosleeper
BobK
nforrgolf
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Satellite Dome / Omni directional TV  - Page 2 Empty omnidirectional airel.

Post by Neuvosleeper Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:43 pm

Duetto, All I'm saying is that these units are fitted by A/s "wrongly" The E.U. wont be interested. Also A/s did not reply to my e-mails. Tell me more. Brian K.
Neuvosleeper
Neuvosleeper

Male

Member Age : 87
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo 11
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Satellite Dome / Omni directional TV  - Page 2 Empty Re: Satellite Dome / Omni directional TV

Post by Dutto Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:56 pm

Brian,

Sorry, but "Wrongly installed." isn't "Not fit for purpose." (Apples and oranges!) wave

I suggest that you give AS one more attempt at fitting it correctly before explaining your problem to the local Trading Standards Agency. allthumbz

This is assuming that, unlike other organisations available to Joe Public (e.g. the Citizens Advice Bureau) the current numpties in Whitehall haven't got rid of most of their staff or moved your nearest Office to the other end of the country! tap_fingers

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

PS Google "Trading Standards ..... " with county of choice for contact details.

Last edited by Dutto on Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:05 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add PS)

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Satellite Dome / Omni directional TV  - Page 2 Empty Re: Satellite Dome / Omni directional TV

Post by Neuvosleeper Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:08 pm

Dutto wrote:Brian,

Sorry, but "Wrongly installed." isn't "Not fit for purpose." (Apples and oranges!) wave

I suggest that you give AS one more attempt at fitting it correctly before explaining your problem to the local Trading Standards Agency. allthumbz

This is assuming that, unlike other organisations available to Joe Public (e.g. the Citizens Advice Bureau) the current numpties in Whitehall haven't got rid of most of their staff or moved your nearest Office to the other end of the country! tap_fingers

Best regards,
drinksallround Duetto, please re read my 1st post carefully. I've replaced it. + A/s have no interest in speaking to we who may cause trouble as I said. !!! Brian K.
Ian

Neuvosleeper
Neuvosleeper

Male

Member Age : 87
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo 11
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:41 pm

Brian,

I have only had limited dealings with AS and I had no problems.

That said, I am a number one pain in the proverbial backside if I don't get what was promised and I pursue these things like a dog with a bone!

In your case I would have taken advice from,

o Trading Standards.

o Citizens Advice.

o My solicitor.

In that order; and I would keep AS fully informed of progress!!

Remember, there are many ways to skin a cat!

Back in the 80's a hotel I did business with welshed on a "hand-shake" verbal contract and virtually wiped out three years of my work. The owners of the hotel were noted locally for their parsimony and naked greed so I responded by suing them for breach of contract.

It cost me £1,500 in solicitor's fees to take the situation to where we all had to appear in court and at that stage I paid off my solicitor (who also happened to be a friend) and de-registered the company with no assets.

My solicitor had a ball informing the solicitor representing the hotel what had happened - and suggesting that he approach them to pay the £4,500 that they apparently owed him!

Revenge is a dish best served cold - but it can taste vey nice! champagne

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:47 am

There has ben a lot published on here and elsewhere on the various omni directional aerials which at best are a compromise.

We have high sides on the roof which were designed as such to hold the built in awning canopy on some models. On buying the van new we insisted on a directional (Status 550) to eliminate any issues caused by roof design and I have never regretted this decision.

I smile when I read the wiring was checked, maybe connections were but I doubt if many caravan dealers staff have the ability to check the quality and losses of the internal coax used within the van.
I say this from experience on our last van (Executive) where the omni directional aerial was as much use as a chocolate fireguard and on checking found the coax braid so so loosely woven is was no use at all and when replaced the aerial performance was improved somewhat, so much I decided not to replace the aerial.

Many of the places we all camp could be in iffy signal areas anyway so you need an aerial with minimum losses
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Snelly Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:38 pm

Guys I need to clear some issues up. This is my area of expertise.

This countries terrestrial system is limited by the terrain and transmitter positioning, so even with a great aerial, results can be disappointing in some areas.

Omni-directional aerials do a hard job... they have to be able to sucessfully pull in a signal from any direction and normally through a thick layer of plastic to make it look more pleasing to the eye. Anyone with an omni-directional aerial needs to appreciate this!

Directional antenna are only any good if pointed in exactly the right direction. The digital signal is such a narrow thing, that if your slightly off you'll either get no channels or some with pixelation. Use a decent signal meter to get the aerial pointing in the right direction before you tune your tv. Note: Even with a good directional antenna such as the status 550 or image kits, your still at the mercy of the uk transmitter system. Inevitibly, dissapointment will result!

So whats the alternative?? ... satellite! On a small motorhome? YES! A few options, such as the portable Maxview VuQube and the roof mounted Oyster Caro, twinned with a decent free to air receiver or one of the latest tv's with built in satellite receivers will always give you great tv reception throughout any part o fthe UK and most of Europe... as long as your dish has a clear line of sight south.

As for the issue of high sides. With regards to the dome systems I fit, the dish sits inside the dome upon a platform containing motors etc... so its probably already 7-10cm from the base high. Then the dish itself looks up at least 19 degrees in northern Scotland and 27 degrees in Southern England, so unless your sides are very very high and the dome is right next to the sides, it shouldnt cause too much of a headache. Many coachbuilt motorhomes have these lipped sides and they have never caused an issue with dome or dish installs for me or my customers.

Hope that helps!
Snelly
Snelly

Male

Member Age : 47

Back to top Go down

Satellite Dome / Omni directional TV  - Page 2 Empty Digital TV Reception Terrestial/Satellite

Post by nforrgolf Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:16 am

Having set this thread in motion I am pleased to note the level of interest it has produced.
The previous entry from Snelly ( is that connected to Snelly Vision?) is spot on.

My original purpose in raising the subject was to find out how good/bad was the reception from AS installed
omni directional aerials. I think the conclusion is clear that they are barely fit for purpose and should
never have been considered in the first place. I note that AS now fit directional aerials as standard and
in discussion with one of their reps at the recent NEC Motorhome show they knew that that it was not
the best choice hence the change. To publicly admit this would be rather expensive and they are
hoping it will go away.

Since I am now happily satellite equipped I am no longer hoping for any compensation but I am
prepared to provide evidence should any member wish to take this further.
nforrgolf
nforrgolf

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Suffolk

Back to top Go down

Satellite Dome / Omni directional TV  - Page 2 Empty satellite tv Dome

Post by Tonyd Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:12 pm

For what its worth, I had a 400mm dome fitted by roadpro installer at the beginning of the season to my 2001 exec which has a somewhat curvaceous roofline and the fitter raised the question that this may present a poor reception issue, however a call was made back to roadpro withe the upshot being to place the dome as far as possible to the rear of the vehicle, away from the Luton bulge.Happy to say the system works great when you get a clear view east but if you are near trees, tall hedges as i was a week or so ago at CC Tewkesbury my luck run out and was forced to watch the dvd. NOTE to self, find EAST with phone app before pitching !!!
Tonyd
Tonyd

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:05 am

Snelly wrote:This countries terrestrial system is limited by the terrain and transmitter positioning, so even with a great aerial, results can be disappointing in some areas.

Omni-directional aerials do a hard job... they have to be able to sucessfully pull in a signal from any direction and normally through a thick layer of plastic to make it look more pleasing to the eye. Anyone with an omni-directional aerial needs to appreciate this!

Snelly makes some valid points....

I've been following this thread since the start and I cant really see the big deal! Auto-Sleepers fit what's available... OK it might not be the best choice, but if you buy the vehicle from new surely you get the option to specify a different option? Aerials are frequently replaced and upgraded by better aftermarket alternatives by thousands of motorhomers scratch head if it bothers anyone that much they should just upgrade it and save yourself the stress shrugg

Also, in relation to certain comments in this thread and as a reminder (read the forum rules) lobbying and encouraging others to take legal action against Auto-Sleepers on "This Forum" is not something we welcome as it does nothing to improve our relationship with Auto-Sleeper and could actually result in legal action taken against us! You are welcome to openly discuss these issues and hopefully Auto-Sleepers will take on board any comments, but If you want to take matters further you are of course welcome to do this yourself directly, but don't involve the forum please.

CC

Edit: Off Topic replies have been moved to new thread here: https://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com/t4977-forum-rules

Last edited by Admin on Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : split replies and merged with newly created thread.)

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Satellite Dome / Omni directional TV  - Page 2 Empty Satellite Dome / Omni directional TV

Post by Paulmold Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:56 am

Tonyd wrote:.Happy to say the system works great when you get a clear view east but if you are near trees, tall hedges as i was a week or so ago at CC Tewkesbury my luck run out and was forced to watch the dvd. NOTE to self, find EAST with phone app before pitching !!!

We stayed at Tewkesbury last week and having had problems on other sites near trees we deliberately chose a pitch which was between two large trees but clear to back and front directions and we got a reasonable amount of channels through our Status 315 omni-directional flying saucer aerial.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Snelly Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:43 am

Tonyd wrote:NOTE to self, find EAST with phone app before pitching !!!

You want to have clear line of sight south... in fact just very slightly east of south, but definetly not east up!

Pitch carefully my satellite friends hugegrins allthumbz
Snelly
Snelly

Male

Member Age : 47

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next