The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Intermittent Squealing Noise Peugeot Boxer

+2
peugeotboxer
CC
6 posters

Go down

Intermittent Squealing Noise Peugeot Boxer  Empty Intermittent Squealing Noise Peugeot Boxer

Post by CC Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:45 pm

Travelling through Germany & Austria over the past week or so I've experienced a squealing coming from our Nuevo... This video clip explains it better than I can and you can hear it as I go around a roundabout but it's not always when you turn... It can be on fast straight roads too... It's intermittent and I'm not sure if it's steering related or brake squeal from a jamming break cylinder or similar? Does anyone have any ideas or is familiar with this kind of noise on the Peugeot boxer 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Intermittent Squealing Noise Peugeot Boxer  Empty Re: Intermittent Squealing Noise Peugeot Boxer

Post by peugeotboxer Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:52 pm

Sounds to me like the brakes pads. Doesn't necessarily mean seized cylinders or calipers. Maybe a strip down, clean and apply copper grease or anti squeal tape to pads backing plates.

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Intermittent Squealing Noise Peugeot Boxer  Empty Re: Intermittent Squealing Noise Peugeot Boxer

Post by CC Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:14 pm

Thanks PB did wonder if it was a build up of dust as the brakes have had a good work out these past few days... Can't do much at the moment but just hope it's not the start of something more serious  Whistle1  confused3

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:58 pm

Mine tend to 'squeal' ever so slightly after a long run on a 'hot' day.
Think you will find it is dust which is the culprit.
Enjoy your trip  allthumbz 

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Backtrax Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:17 pm

CC
I would agree with PB - sounds like dust which will build up if you been up and down high gradients. Assuming your mileage is below 50k the pads should not have worn out but if mileage near that figure then could be pads coming to end of life in which case noise would become more pronounced and consistent.
Enjoy your trip.
Lokking forward to Mrs CC next report
Backtrax
Backtrax

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:03 am

Hi CC
Nice to hear from you again, hope you and Mrs CC are having a nice time?
Agree with other members re, fine gravel or dust in between brake pads and disks.
I remove the wheels before MOT time and clean the whole lot down and check the disks and pads for wear.
Enjoy your holiday, hope you rectify your brake problem.
Cheers Boaby on tourtour
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by jimthefish Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:15 pm

I had the same problem on my 2005 Nuevo for years. Finally the MOT tester said come and look at the brake test dials. There was a slight jump it the dial every time he tried to pull away pointing out the rear brakes were binding. He said its a fault with Boxers 2005-07. When I got home has a devil of a job getting the drums off and found the cylinders very tight and the brake shoes locked on the drum. A good bash with a copper lump hammer freed the drums, I replaced the 2 drum cylinders (£20) now no squeak, no binding and more power. I never leave my handbrake on when in storage as the MOT mechanic said that's the start of the problem on motorhomes. Hope this helps. Jim
jimthefish
jimthefish

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:10 pm

As jimthefish says never leave the van parked with the handbrake on for any period of time, that does help stop the brake squeal that so many vans suffer after being parked for a while! It is probably nothing serious.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down