The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bourton exhaust

4 posters

Go down

Bourton exhaust Empty Bourton exhaust

Post by Lee Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:14 am

Hi People,
In the past I've noticed the exhaust tailpipe on many motorhomes seem to extend out at the side of the vehicle quite a bit. Well, our Bourton is no exception. It extends 3" (75mm) outside the bodywork to the side and is only 4" (100mm) off the ground. Is this standard on others out there? Looking further underneath the vehicle it looks as though I may be able to swivel it to gain a little extra height, but that would obviously take it closer to the bodywork which if others are set similar to mine I'd be concerned about doing lest the heat from the exhaust then starts to melt lockers or bodywork confused3 . Worried about wiping out the exhaust on high kerbs, particularly when parking in France when kerbside will naturally be exhaust side. What does the panel think?

TIA,

Lee
Lee
Lee

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton

Back to top Go down

Bourton exhaust Empty Re: Bourton exhaust

Post by Peter Brown Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:44 pm

Some friends took delivery of one of the first Wiltons. The exhaust extension wasn't fitted and they were 'gassed' driving home. The pipes do catch kerbs and ping quite alarmingly when they do but if they are pushed up into the body they do a lot of damage to it.

Hence the pipes extend out and are low (and have been on many models for many years). The concerns you have are valid but the location is the best compromise.

I did once look at making a cut out in the body skirt and raising the pipe but then rreaklise the damage that would de done to the skirt if the pipe did catch.

Peter

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:15 am

Thanks for that Peter  allthumbz
Lee
Lee

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton

Back to top Go down

Post by DuxDeluxe Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:31 pm

Good points Peter. Mine is low, but I've never yet caught it on anything..........yet!  Whistle1

DuxDeluxe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway Crown

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:40 pm

We had an end lounge Inca and I caught a kerb on a corner off an incline. It pushed the pipe into the under floor locker and knocked the corner off. I had to refresh my fibreglass patching skills and covered it with white hammerite and a bit of mud for authenticity.

Peter

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by padraigpost Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:15 pm

Just taken delivery of my new Bourton and after being concerned by the comments made by Lee as I was worried that the van might ground on accessing my drive  which drops away steeply from the road, on measuring the exhaust it is 7" from the road and was no trouble, away next week on 1st trip to C&CC site at Salisbury, I ordered the vehicle to be fitted with a manual  water filler which has been fitted close to the whale filler and upgraded the solar panel to 80w and also had habitation air con fitted, cant wait to try it all out, did notice though that the Mercedes Audio 10 radio does not have a cd player instead there is a SD card slot so will have to copy music to a card
Don
padraigpost
padraigpost

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Mercedes Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down