The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Replacing wash hand basin in Broadway.

4 posters

Go down

Replacing wash hand basin in Broadway.  Empty Replacing wash hand basin in Broadway.

Post by gizmo26 Thu 03 Apr 2014, 4:06 pm

Just found that the wash hand basin in our Autosleeper Broadway is cracked and leaking around the plug hole.
Replacement sink us available from Autosleepers spares but in response to my enquiry, they have said "Replacement is not for the faint hearted as it is heat welded on."
Not quite sure what they mean. Has anyone attempted / succeeded in replacing basin of this type?
The basin is on the swing wall and appears to be silicon sealed along the back and then sat over the wall moulding and adhesived in place.
gizmo26
gizmo26

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL

Back to top Go down

Replacing wash hand basin in Broadway.  Empty Re: Replacing wash hand basin in Broadway.

Post by Paulmold Thu 03 Apr 2014, 7:37 pm

You don't say where in Uk you are so I can't be more specific but there are several firms which do shower tray repairs and wash basin repairs which may be an easier option. I've found some on Ebay which may be worth following up...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Replacing wash hand basin in Broadway.  Empty Re: Replacing wash hand basin in Broadway.

Post by DuxDeluxe Thu 03 Apr 2014, 7:40 pm

Branfibre Banbury used to have a good name but their website is suspended so they might be out of business

Edit - the A/S service centre at the factory do a good job if you are happy to pay someone. They won't botch it and they haven't been expensive when they have done something for me...... Might be worth asking

DuxDeluxe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway Crown

Back to top Go down

Post by Backtrax Thu 03 Apr 2014, 10:26 pm

Peter,
Have sent you a PM

Ken
Backtrax
Backtrax

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by gizmo26 Fri 04 Apr 2014, 9:37 am

Many thanks for your suggestions guys. After a response on another forum, think I will try and repair with fibreglass from underneath the basin, via the access hatch in the shower wall.

The basin appears to be 'spot welded' with plastic on its corners where it meets the plastic shower wall. I think any attempt to release this would result in cracking the wall.

Peter
gizmo26
gizmo26

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gizmo26 Thu 17 Apr 2014, 11:39 am

Looks as though the basin is repairable and I have a guy coming next week to attempt a repair with 'plastic repair kit'.

In the meantime I requested quotes from Autosleepers and from Marquis to supply and fit replacement basin.

Autosleepers = £188 which I thought was very fair.

Marquis = £1024.58 (£711.50 for the basin alone).  Think someone is having a laugh!
gizmo26
gizmo26

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Backtrax Sun 04 May 2014, 12:43 pm

Gizmo,
Did you write back to Marquis and give them the comparison of their quote and the one from AS?
I would, together with a comment that I intended to publish the comparison far and wide in every forum I could.
Would be interesting to see their reaction.

Ken
Backtrax
Backtrax

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by gizmo26 Fri 09 May 2014, 1:09 pm

Hi Ken,

Having raised the issue with Marquis, they tell me that they also had the £188 quote, but thought it likely that they would break the wall unit removing the basin and, therefore, quoted for the whole unit.

In the end, I had a home visit from Anthony of A1 Mobile Caravans at Warrington who was able to repair /  strengthen the basin with Sikaflex.  It is now water tight and stronger and will certainly last a good while longer.  He suggests the next stage would be using a plastic repair kit if necessary.

A very helpful and pleasant guy who I would certainly recommend.  His charge for the job - a cool £49.00!!!!
gizmo26
gizmo26

Male

Back to top Go down