The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

overcab external body work problem

+3
inspiredron
roli
happyhelen
7 posters

Go down

overcab external body work problem Empty overcab external body work problem

Post by happyhelen Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:56 pm

Hi ,

We have just returned from a visit to Autosleepers to have an annual habitation check.
My husband asked them to check out some small holes on the external body work above the cab that he had discovered when cleaning.
They said that they didnt want to probe too much but that it was a defect in the body work and there were vacuums where there was not enough fibre glass. The holes were probably made by stones being thrown up . We were advised to have the work done in the body shop but would involve 3 days (one to sand it all back, another to do the filling in and a third to finish it off after drying). No idea how much its going to cost.
Wondered if anyone else had come across this before?? Also a few readings of 20% damp in the two front side panels and under the sink.

We changed to the Nuevo from a 19 year old Renault Recro Autosleeper. Never had a habilitation check and no probs apart from a rusting body!!

Any thoughts / comments???

Helen
happyhelen
happyhelen

Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo

Back to top Go down

overcab external body work problem Empty Re: overcab external body work problem

Post by roli Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:04 pm

I see from your location you are in Cardiff where I am sure there are body shops more than capable of doing the work for you to save on travelling.
I am uncertain of the source of the mouldings but Cheltenham Laminates used to make the monocoques and are excellent laminators, (and could possibly still supply AS) so if you didnt want to get done locally I would contact them.  There is a campsite not too far from their works
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:59 pm

A/S do still get their body shells from Cheltenham Laminates so it sounds sensible to get quotes from both if it comes to that.
If A/S have said there were defects in the original shell then they may be expecting to put it right. If not then I would be inclined to play the "not fit for purpose" card. But before you do that ask them gently about cost, reminding them if necessary that it was a manufacturing defect. In my limited experience they are very helpful and the fact that you don't know the cost may mean that they will do it very reasonably or even for nothing..

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:10 am

Hi Helen
If you do end up at the Autosleeper workshops in Willersey, be rest assured that Marks team will do a good job.
I had some body work repaired two weeks ago and was very happy with the work and turnaround time.
The Bell Inn in the village has a good selection of rooms for B&B, if you need to stay overnight.
Good luck with the repairs.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:55 am

You don't say how old the van is - if its out of warranty you just need to get it fixed before you get serious problems.

I had some bodywork done at the factory last year and you can't see where they've been. It doesn't matter where you have the work done they will need a minimum of two and ideally three days.

I would certainly recommend the Service Centre.

Peter

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

overcab external body work problem Empty bodywork problems

Post by paul bullock Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:52 am

Cheltenham  laminating did produce A/S bodies for many years until A/S bought the company approx. 15Yrs ago .So there is no point approaching them .Seems to me A/S has already admitted some liability just really depends how old your van is as to what extent this applies!
paul bullock
paul bullock
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : nuevo ek 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:37 pm

Hi its best to get holes filled sooner rather than later.
Its not a too difficult job ,i am sure.
As to blame ,i think the answer " stone damage" will mean you will pay,regardless of the age of the van.
best regards

mike
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

overcab external body work problem Empty thanks

Post by happyhelen Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:33 am

Thanks all for your thoughts and comments.
The van is 07 so well out of warranty but not that old.
We have had bad experiences with some garages so my husband prefers to travel back to Willersey for peace of mind as he has a lot of confidence in them. It does seem it is stone damage but the underlying defect revealed has always been there it would seem. Not really expecting anyone else to foot the bill!Not sure of the extent of the "spaces." Will wait for milder weather and then get it sorted I think - dont want any damp issues.

Thanks HH
happyhelen
happyhelen

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:16 am

Hi HH
The AS workshop can get very busy once the season starts, their hourly rate is very competitive and you come away with a confident feeling that the job has been done to a good standard.
Good luck with your van, wouldn't leave the damp problem to long as any water damage will get worse if not dried out and sealed.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by happyhelen Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:54 am

Thanks. Will get onto it asap. Husband currently unwell but hope will just be a temporary setback.

HH
happyhelen
happyhelen

Back to top Go down