The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Mercedes Sprinter with 7 speed auto

+10
groundhog
Peter Brown
dandywarhol
Jaytee
peugeotboxer
DuxDeluxe
Cymro
Dutto
frederic
padraigpost
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

New Mercedes Sprinter with 7 speed auto - Page 2 Empty Re: New Mercedes Sprinter with 7 speed auto

Post by Jaytee Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:09 pm

Call produced very very helpful young (presume) lady who has taken all details and said techies will get back to me by email.

Fingers crossed  peace

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

New Mercedes Sprinter with 7 speed auto - Page 2 Empty Re: New Mercedes Sprinter with 7 speed auto

Post by hblewett Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:13 pm

Good news!  That sounds more like it!
hblewett
hblewett

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Worcester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:54 pm

Well, we have a very interesting scenario developing. We bought a MH with a 7 speed auto.
However it appears from Mercedes we have a 5 speed auto. 
Hmm. Solicitors could be making some money out of this one me thinks.
First stop Marquis Tewksbury.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by hblewett Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:57 pm

That's bad news!  How could that happen?  AS must have known what they ordered.
hblewett
hblewett

Male

Member Age : 76
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:04 pm

I am a very unhappy chappy at the moment.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by jht sheffield Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:00 pm

Jaytee wrote:I am a very unhappy chappy at the moment.
I hope you have resolved your problem !!   I have just taken delivery of our Burford ( 5 speed ) and first impressions are good.  O.K., on the motor way at 60mph maybe it does need an extra gear but it is so much better than the Peugeot base in both quality and to drive. The only grumble so far is the stupid weak horn. I would rather shout out of the window than blow it, but if thats the only gripe, so what.   We cant wait to get away, North Yorks. I think very soon.   Will keep a lookout for you. allthumbz
jht sheffield
jht sheffield

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Burford Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:14 pm

Hi Jht thanks for the interest. Long story shortened. Yes and no.
Am so happy with what I have that I decided the stress of legals or whatever was not worth the hassle even though with advice I do have a strong case. Marquis Tewksbury and I had a long chat and we have come up with a compromise meaning they are very very happy and I am fine with the outcome. And most importantly we are all still friends and I am a happy chappy.  allthumbz (More or less  smile! )

Shout when you are up here, if we are around the tea is always on and if the field is not too wet a free night stop if you need one  drinksallround

Last edited by Jaytee on Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:24 pm

Good result! I doubt that you will miss the extra gears and I suspect that Euro 6 will have more drawbacks

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:32 pm

inspiredron wrote:Good result! I doubt that you will miss the extra gears and I suspect that Euro 6 will have more drawbacks
That is a very very good point. I had forgotten the 7 speed comes with the Euro 6. Even more complexity to need servicing or go wrong  innocent

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:06 am

I was going to paste some extracts from various Mercedes and press publications here but it got too big.  I’ll summarise my findings and, if interested, you can check yourself.  Take particular note of small print footnotes in Mercedes documentation:

All below is only relevant to the CDI range of engines:

Prior to the current ‘facelift’ the engines were to Euro 5 emission standards with a standard 6 speed manual box or optional 5 speed Automatic.

During 2012 they announced that a 7 speed auto option would be available, that it was expected to be available during 2012 but that until it was available those models ordered with it would actually be delivered with the 5 speed box.  I’ve not been able to find when it actually did become available.

The 2014 model again comes with Euro 5 engines with the 6 speed manual as standard and the 7 speed auto as an option.

A BlueEFFICIENCY option will be available, it seems from September 2014, that has an added option of upgrading the engine to Euro 6 although you are requested to inquire about the availability of BlueEFFICIENCY with the auto box.

I hope the above is clear.

Peter
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:10 am

Now I want the 7 speed box again  hugegrins

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:14 am

I've spent a lot of time this morning trying to find out when or if they built Sprinters with the 7 speed - I can't.

I've tried to find recent second hand vans for sale with either of the auto boxes fitted - I can't.

I have found that Mercedes launched the Sprinter for the first time in the US in the second half of 2013 and made a big feature of the 7 speed auto, I can only think that all of the boxes were sent in that direction.

If anyone can shed any further light on this topic I'd love to know how you find whatever you do!

Peter

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:21 am

Jaytee wrote:Now I want the 7 speed box again  hugegrins
Only joking Peter, honest  look here

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by padraigpost Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:03 pm

I can confirm what Peter has said as I have been assured my yet to be built Bourton will have the 7 speed auto but with the euro 5 engine, whilst trawling the internet for details of the euro 6 engine it will have an 18 litre adblue tank under the bonnet on the offside which will be sufficient for approx. 3500 kilometres but shortly before the tank is empty power will be reduced by 25% and later  it will revert to limp home mode so it will be important to ensure adblue is present, I am also led to believe that the euro 6 engine will cost approx. £1000 more than the euro 5 which is possibly why A/S are ordering euro 5 engined sprinters, looking forward to receiving my Bourton hopefully mid April.
Don
padraigpost
padraigpost

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Mercedes Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:04 pm

Hi Jaytee

Pleased you have managed to find a resolution, not good to be an unhappy chappy!

Agree with you that what we have is so very good. I wouldn't want to spend more money just to reduce the emissions to another level. Certainly not keen on the adblue tank idea, wonder what happens if adblue isn't present for some reason - is there just a big bang?

On our Mercedes car we added a brabus chip, Mercedes option on the Sprinter too, reduces fuel consumption a tad but also increases bhp by 10-15% which on the car is a World of difference.

As it is fitted by Mercedes no warranty issues and no insurance change, not cheap but if ever we sell the car it is going straight on the van!

Enjoy your Winchcombe, great choice!
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down

Post by padraigpost Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:58 am

Has anyone taken delivery of one of the Mercedes with the new cab, if so can you tell me if the steering wheel is multi function with audio and phone controls on the wheel, the reason I ask is that over the weekend at one of the shows there was a Stanton with the new cab, as it was sold it was locked up but I looked through the window and saw it had the "old" non multi function steering wheel, the salesmen were busy so I could not ask but on arriving home checked the Mercedes website which clearly states that the multi function wheel is a standard fitting on the new cab, on the A/S website videos of the Mercedes range the only one showing the new cab is the Beckford and it does  show it with the multi function steering wheel, hope A/S are not downgrading the standard spec to reduce costs.
Don
padraigpost
padraigpost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:37 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This is from the latest sprinter brochure and I'm pretty certain that's what I saw at the NEC in one of the AS Mercs ie. Standard Wheel with upgrade radio/comms unit.

Peter
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by padraigpost Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:48 am

Peter,
         thanks for the info and photo, at least it has the upgraded audio unit, all of the info I could find showed a thicker steering wheel with 2 chrome inserts at the bottom and all the controls on the wheel.
thanks again
Don
padraigpost
padraigpost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by oakchipper Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:41 pm

Hi
You guys are very fortunate,I've got the older sprinter with just the 4 speed box,changes to top at 35mph if driving gently.2,9 goes like stink though if overtaking,

Pete
oakchipper
oakchipper

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Medallion

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2